Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

1946 Jack Keen New Cross

I recently made a query in regard to the 1946 second-half rider Jack Keen who appeared in some races at New Cross. In error I placed this on HIDE and am unable to restore my previous post.

Any comments in regard to this rider would be appreciated.

Edited by Guest

I recently made a query in regard to the 1946 second-half rider Jack Keen who appeared in some races at New Cross. In error I aced this on HIDE and am unable to restore my previous post.

Any comments in regard to this rider would be appreciated.

I can see that John Keen was third in the Trials Scratch Race on 17th July 1946, won the Novice Race on 24th July, was second in the Novice Race on 7th August, finishing at New Cross with fourth place in the Novice Race on 18th September.

I have found some information about Jack Keen in The Lincolnshire Standard newspaper for 20th May 1939, which carried a report from the previous Sunday's meeting at Bell End (grass and cinder circuit) when Holbeach & Spalding beat West Ham Hawks (the name of the 1938 West Ham speedway second team) 79-29. It appears that each rider took 6 rides and Jack Keen top scored for the Hawks with 11 points.

The Lincolnshire, Boston and Spalding Free Press newspaper edition for 5th June 1939 carried an advertisement for a meeting at Bell End on Sunday 11th June between Holbeach & Spalding and Oxford, with the Oxford team listed as Jim Boyd, Bill Sims, Arthur Flack, George Bason, Jack Keen, Jim Cashmere, Jack Peck and Tony Gyselynch. Frank Varey was also scheduled to meet Geoff Godwin in a match race.

It is possible that this Jack Keen and the post-war John Keen were one and the same.

In the meeting held on 11th June 1939 Holbeach & Spalding beat Oxford 57-51. Jack Kean scored 7 points for Oxford. Frank Varey beat Geoff Godwin 2-1 in the match races.

Jack Keen also had a trial at Exeter on Monday, April 14, 1947, but then seems to have retired from the sport.

On 10/01/2017 at 10:28 AM, BL65 said:

In the meeting held on 11th June 1939 Holbeach & Spalding beat Oxford 57-51. Jack Kean scored 7 points for Oxford. Frank Varey beat Geoff Godwin 2-1 in the match races.

Geoff Godwin was my grandfather and I have a photo of him with Varey after their round of races. Sadly it's too big a file to upload here but PM me with an email address and I will be more than happy to share.