British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David Croucher

Split Waterman

I have just received a phone call from Avril Waterman to let me know that Split is in intensive care in Velez Malaga Hospital near his home on the Costa del Sol.

He has suffered a series of heart attacks, and is stable but serious.

I will try and keep everyone informed through the pages of this forum and should anybody wish to send him a get well card, please send it, addressed to Split, to my office address c/o Sports Replay, 49-53 Queensway, Southampton. SO14 3BL.

I will make sure that they get forwarded as soon as they arrive.

# Name Removed #.

Having spoken to Avril last night on the telephone, she tells me that Split has been disconnected from three machines that he has been plugged in to for the last 5 days and got out of bed today.

He will undergo tests on a Treadmill next week and they will consider letting him come home subject to those results.

On a light note, the Hospital Staff apologised for an error in the paperwork that said he was nearly 80 Years old - when Split told them it wasn't an error they were amazed - he's 80 in July.

By the way, please consider yourselves invited to Wimbledon's Press and Practice day this Sunday (23rd March) Entrance is FREE and the turnstiles open at 1.30pm. There will be time trials for the GMB Dons for 2 hours starting at 2.00pm.

# Name Removed #.

Good to hear that Split is on the mend. One of the all time greats of speedway and certainly the greatest "character" of them all.

Nice to hear from you Norman.

Could not agree more. Squire Frank Waterman had his character built into his given name at birth.

Having been a good friend of Split's from way back and even more so when I lived around the corner from him in Spain, I have shared some unbeleivable times with him.

We had Xmas lunch at my place in Nerja when Bert was still alive and Split regularly comes down to Southampton when he is in the UK for a beer.

There are a lot of former riders and promoters from Split's era, who have always regarded him as one of the UNCROWNED World Champions, and I most definately would love to see him back at Plough Lane again this summer, shouting 'Up the WembleyLions' to all the Dons fans.

I'm sure there are loads of us all keeping fingers crossed for the loveable old wotsit.

David.

Guest Parkerman

Thanks, David, for the news of Split. It's good to know that one of my greatest heroes from when I was a raw young Aces supporter of 17 in 1947 is still with us.

In my reckoning Split was, without doubt, the greatest rider never to win a World Championship ( and that includes your father who I also remember).

I am also highly delighted that the Dons are running again this season. Long may they do so. The Aces had many thrilling matches against the old Dons all those years ago. Can anyone forget the thrilling races between Jack and Norman (surname unecessary!). Maybe one day the two greatest names in British (if not world) speedway can race against each other again. What a day that would be!!

Best wishes for the new season.

In my reckoning Split was, without doubt, the greatest rider never to win a World Championship ( and that includes your father who I also remember).

And that includes Jack Parker?

Or Vic Duggan.

What is indisputable fact is that he is one of only two riders to be runner-up twice in the World Championship without ever winning it.

And the other is...?

Igor Plechanov???

(only because I heard something about it at the VSRA meal where he was a special guest)

The good news is that Split is back home - the bad news is that he is bored to tears.

I phoned Avril last night to see how he was and Split answered the phone. He has been told to take it very, very easy for the time being, but still insists he will be able to fly over next month. Avril, needless to say, has other ideas.

On the subject of these all time greats and the years rolling by, as I said Cheerio to Ronnie Moore on Wednesday at Wimbledon, he shook my hand very tightly and said, "I don't know if I'll ever see you again". I replied "Yes you will Ron, I'm sure of it."

But of course, we don't know do we. Briggo also came along for the evening, which was fantastic. The first time Ron and Barry have been together at Plough Lane for a very long time.

With Ron now aged 70, and Barry 68, and rumours abounding about the health of Ove Fundin who apparently has been admitted to hospital with Pneumonia, it does make one wonder how many more years we will have these guys around for.

It is very fitting that these forums and various publications like the Vintage Speedway Magazine keep the names of the all time GREATS alive. The riders of yesteryear, the pioneers of our great sport, were our modern day Chariot drivers. As the crowds have dwindled over the years, and the Stadia have disappeared, one wonders if the young supporters of today could ever have imagined the thrill of a fully packed Stadium and the roar of those old 500 JAP's. Those were the days when all the top class League meetings were like having a Grand Prix every week.

Let's keep up the good work Ladies and Gentlemen, and never forget the great service they all gave to the Speedways.

On the subject of uncrowned World Champions - can we add Brian Crutcher to that list please?

# Name Removed #

Thanks for the update David. It's really good news that Split is back home, but not such good news about Ove. I hope it's nothing serious.

You're absolutely right about Brian Crutcher too!

I have to say Norman, that I was delighted to speak to Split last night. At the ripe young age of 80, you get accustomed to only getting bad news when it's something as serious as a heart attack. I think the world of Split and Avril, they have been very good friends to me for 15 years or so now, and I am extremely pleased she's got the old 'Lion' home.

I should point out that the rumours about Ove's illness are only rumours.

This is a quote from the Yahoo Forum.

It has been reported here that Ove Fundin is unwell.

Can anyone give us an update and history please.

Thanks.R.M.

This came from Ronder McKinley in NZ who helps run Moore Park Raceway with Ronnie.

This response was from Mike Moseley.

I'm afraid that I can't give an update on Ove's latest condition. He

developed a heavy cold following the Anniversary Meeting at Rye House at the

beginning of this month. When he attended the Speedway Veterans dinner at

Coventry a couple of weeks ago, he felt unwell, and on his return home, he

was admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

That's all the news that I know.

Regards,

David.