Split Waterman

David He's on the list:

Brian Crutcher

Igor Plechanov

Zenon Plech

Seehttp://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433

Thanks for the info -

D C

I hope I have not caused people to worry over Ove's health, but at the least the situation is now clear.

My concern was sparked by the comment previously posted on the Yahoo forum.

I am delighted that he is recovering, and thanks for that info Jim.

David.

Well said Jim, I am sure you echo the sentiments of a great number of diehard Speedway Fans.

We were privileged to have Roy Trigg and Reg Trott at Plough Lane last night - another 2 heroes of yesteryear, who, I think, were in awe of the fact that still, after all this time, there was a queue of people waiting to shake their hands and get their autographs.

The result by the way - DONS 46 - OXFORD 44

David.

I just want to say thankyou to # Name Removed # for giving us news of the veterans of speedway. I remember the time when he had his first ride on the grass at Corhampton, I thought he looked a frightened young man who wanted to impress his father Bert. Its nice to know he's back with the bikes and now matured. You don't know me David but we had a mutual friend who was your mechanic that day, Reg Rawlins, the late Ernie Rawlins brother.

Something that has puzzled me over the years is how Split got his name.

Would love to know.

His dads name was Waterman ;)

Thanks CHK, Just the answer I was after.

Has anyone with a brain have the answer to why Split was Split

Thanks CHK, Just the answer I was after.

Has anyone with a brain have the answer to why Split was Split

You mean theres two of him :?: :shock:;) :clown

Re: I remember the time when he had his first ride on the grass at Corhampton, I thought he looked a frightened young man who wanted to impress his father Bert - we had a mutual friend who was your mechanic that day, Reg Rawlins, the late Ernie Rawlins brother.

Thanks 'peatbog'. I don't remember my first meeting funnily enough. I remember the Bike, who built it, Reg being there etc. but not the meeting.

The bike was built by Harry Bone, who, with his partner John Barr, were SCGTRA Sidecar Champions that year. It was a 250 BSA in, I think, a Mike Erskine frame.

The following year I had Richard May's 500 JAP (Bought for £70) - frightened the pants off me. I finished up in the Ambulance at Ringwood Mount the first time I rode it.

Going back to Reg briefly. I worked in the Workshops under Reg's guidance for many years, and later, about 1975 I think, was one of a gang of 4 of us, who used to take our old Bultacos and Montessa's etc up to the woods at Romsey and sream them round on a Sunday morning.

The other 3, sadly, are all gone now - they were Reg Rawlins, Kevin Holden and my Cousin Tony Couch.

Re Split - I remember being told it was something to do with him doing a P J Proby in his Leathers.

Do we know which Coronation St part Split's Great Niece plays ????

There's one for quiz nights.

David.

I have seen a number of explanations as to why he was called 'Split', including David's one. The one I always thought was most likely was that his famous grin 'split' his face from ear to ear.

David.

Now you have me really intrigued David....just as long as its not Vera! lol

Now you have me really intrigued David....just as long as its not Vera! lol

maybes its Nora Batty?

In coronation street?????

:roll:

Is it Gail ?