British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Snackette

"dare Devil" Rides To Jarama" Swan Theatre, Worcester

Those in and around Worcester may be interested to know that on Tuesday 7th February, the Swan Theatre will be staging a production of "Dare Devil" Rides To Jarama". It tells the story of "Dare Devil" Clem Becket a fairground wall of death rider, who became a speedway rider for White City at the time of the sport's birth.

For those who don't know of Clem Beckett, I have posted some brief info below.

He saw how unscrupulous promoters were taking advantage of young kids who were persuaded to race irrespective of their experience or ability resulting in a number of serious injuries. As a result, he unionised the sport when he formed the Dirt-track Riders Association.

In 1929, Beckett joined forces with Spencer Stratton and Jimmy Hindle to establish the Sheffield Tigers. Operating as Provincial Dirt-Tracks Ltd, the group sunk their savings into buying land at Owlerton Meadows. Beckett now shone as the star of the new Owlerton Stadium, winning the golden helmet in front of 15,000 spectators.

On the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War, the Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB) helped establish the International Brigades. Clem Beckett was one of several members of the Manchester branch of the CPGB who volunteered to go to Spain to defend the Popular Front government.

Trailer for 'Dare Devil Rides To Jarama' By Neil Gore https://youtu.be/dRneTwAmbj0

Edited by Mr Snackette
  • Like 4

Blimey! :shock: How has Gustix managed to miss this story and giving the link? :P

• Like 1

This production appeared very locally (Willerby a couple of miles away) and I totally forgot about it, probably due to a week of 'couhging & sneezing fun' due to the flu. I would reccomend those who can check it out though....

Fascinating! It gets five stars from the Morning Star (!)...and also four from The Times.

Don't know anything about the writer Neil Gore, but musical direction is from folk giant John Kirkpatrick.

I saw it in Sheffield in November, and thought it was excellent. Obviously it did help having speedway knowledge, but I would recommend it to anyone. The guy playing Clem was happy to chat to anyone afterwards about the play as well.

Anyone in the north Sheffield area, it is at the Labour HQ (can't remember the exact place name, but locals will know where I mean) at Wortley at the beginning of March. I highly recommend it from both a speedway and historical point of view.

Edited: Wortley Hall!

Edited by Tigerblade

I saw it in Sheffield in November, and thought it was excellent. Obviously it did help having speedway knowledge, but I would recommend it to anyone. The guy playing Clem was happy to chat to anyone afterwards about the play as well.

Anyone in the north Sheffield area, it is at the Labour HQ (can't remember the exact place name, but locals will know where I mean) at Wortley at the beginning of March. I highly recommend it from both a speedway and historical point of view.

obviously on an extensive tour - saw it in Hertford in Nov - it coincided with the bspa meeting at Paradise park and some of the attendees were there - have to say excellent production and a good history lesson on the Spanish civil war

I wonder if the would consider adding Norwich or Lynn to their venues, may ask all parties ..... no harm eh!

• Like 1

This production appeared very locally (Willerby a couple of miles away) and I totally forgot about it, probably due to a week of 'couhging & sneezing fun' due to the flu. I would reccomend those who can check it out though....

It's coming to Hull in March if you want to catch it.....

http://www.townsendproductions.org.uk/

Mmnnn interesting.... I see Poole on the tour dates 1st February

I wonder if the would consider adding Norwich or Lynn to their venues, may ask all parties ..... no harm eh!

Diss , Corn Hall, Feb. 9th.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. Don't the actor on the right look a bit like Woffy ?....

I suppose he does now I look at him again! He plays Clem Beckett throughout, and an older chap plays several characters during the play. There is only the two of them, apparently they'd never even met before working on this play!

Looking forward to watching this play. Just read more about Clem Beckett and the union he started to help the young guys who were exploited by promoters in the early days of british speedway. I've never read or heard anything about Clem Beckett until now .....