British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

British Speedway - Dead Or Alive?

Fundamentally speedway is a spectator sport and is totally reliant on admission prices and sponsorship. With many young people privately renting and living costs / inflation rising the amount of disposable income from the target audience is restricted. To attract new fans and to hang on to current ones admissions costs have to fall. For a single person who is passionate about the sport that is fine but the majority of spectators look on speedway as a recreational pursuit to be enjoyed with a partner and family.

Ultimately we need to look at the entertainment value and what we are getting for £19 admission. The empty terraces with old enthusiasts like me reminiscing about the past won't pay the bills or take the sport back to health. It's not the odd exciting race that we need to focus on but the foundations and scaffold of speedway that have held it together for nearly 90 years. Home grown riders would be a good point of reference.

Realistically it's not point arguing about the merits of paying £18 or £20 to watch a meeting for most people it is unaffordable but for some reason no one seems to get it?

• Like 5

Fundamentally speedway is a spectator sport and is totally reliant on admission prices and sponsorship. With many young people privately renting and living costs / inflation rising the amount of disposable income from the target audience is restricted. To attract new fans and to hang on to current ones admissions costs have to fall. For a single person who is passionate about the sport that is fine but the majority of spectators look on speedway as a recreational pursuit to be enjoyed with a partner and family.

Ultimately we need to look at the entertainment value and what we are getting for £19 admission. The empty terraces with old enthusiasts like me reminiscing about the past won't pay the bills or take the sport back to health. It's not the odd exciting race that we need to focus on but the foundations and scaffold of speedway that have held it together for nearly 90 years. Home grown riders would be a good point of reference.

Realistically it's not point arguing about the merits of paying £18 or £20 to watch a meeting for most people it is unaffordable but for some reason no one seems to get it?

Spot on really. Sadly I have no answer to the question but paying over £1 for every MINUTE of racing you see cannot be under any circumstances classed as good value for money, especially when at least 75% of each minutes racing is about as exciting as watching paint dry more times than not!!

Edited by ytsejam

Thanks for the support I shall keep lobbying for changeas I know I'm not on my own. I'm a motorsport enthusiast and some of the speedway boys have to realise it's not a social service and won't carry on indefinitely unless there are more spectators. Speedway seems to be going the same way as your local pub as they are expensive and not everone wants the same old lager, cider and beer. The ones that have diversified into coffee, soft drinks and food generally survive due to attracting a new clientel.

• Like 3

Thanks for the support I shall keep lobbying for changeas I know I'm not on my own. I'm a motorsport enthusiast and some of the speedway boys have to realise it's not a social service and won't carry on indefinitely unless there are more spectators. Speedway seems to be going the same way as your local pub as they are expensive and not everone wants the same old lager, cider and beer. The ones that have diversified into coffee, soft drinks and food generally survive due to attracting a new clientel.

Speedway isn't a Pub.

However I agree with the main thrust of your argument. Quite how you would change Speedway though - I am not too sure.

Certainly a number of Rules need changing.

Perhaps finding a way to fill in the gaps between Races might be a start.

I wish I knew the answer - but sadly I don't.

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby round round right round. :rofl:

• Like 1

Slick presentation might help. Riders ready to go on track as the riders cross the line for the preceding race. If an infringement occurs at the start, cut the crap, get back round to the start and none of this back to the pits etc. They were under starters orders and that is it, no changes, no adjustments, and if a rider delays the start put them on fifteen metres. If a rider is adjudged to be the cause of a stoppage, disqualify and put a reserve in. People come to watch races of four laps with four riders. When the powers that be think first about the presentation and the paying public and then the rules, it might just improve the image. Until then you have a Mickey Mouse sport that does not even pretend unlike WWE. Trying to take yourself seriously is not going to work. If. Sell it as professional sportsmen taking calculated risks then you might create an image. For now the image is dire.

Excellent post baba a realist. Diversification and local riders.

Slick presentation might help. Riders ready to go on track as the riders cross the line for the preceding race. If an infringement occurs at the start, cut the crap, get back round to the start and none of this back to the pits etc. They were under starters orders and that is it, no changes, no adjustments, and if a rider delays the start put them on fifteen metres. If a rider is adjudged to be the cause of a stoppage, disqualify and put a reserve in. People come to watch races of four laps with four riders. When the powers that be think first about the presentation and the paying public and then the rules, it might just improve the image. Until then you have a Mickey Mouse sport that does not even pretend unlike WWE. Trying to take yourself seriously is not going to work. If. Sell it as professional sportsmen taking calculated risks then you might create an image. For now the image is dire.

Maybe the riders for heat 2 could wait on the infield and when the last rider crosses the line we go with heat 2 as soon as heat 3 riders are on the infield and so on. Realistically we could have a meeting through in 25 minutes or so. If there is fixture backlog,double or even triple headers would not be a problem.

I agree the price coming down would help persuade more to attend.

What I don't quite understand is, well, back in the 1970's/80's tracks were graded by tractor and rakers after "EVERY" race!!!

The main meeting was nearly always done by 9pm/9.15pm..(13 heats)

Now we have 15 heats, grading is only usually done 4, maybe 5 times per match, after heats 4, 7, 10 and 14 (roughly) depends on track conditions.... Still only finishing around 9.30pm, what's the difference? More regular grades, but shorter grades are perhaps quicker overall, than fewer, more extensives grades....

Possibly?

Edited by Shale Searcher

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby round round right round. :rofl:

Didn't whoosh me, mate. I wouldn't be seen 'dead or alive' listening to that.

:sad: I'll get my coat.

Edited by pugwash

We all moan and whinge about the sport but for me it is worth the 17 pound entrance fee.Last year i went to Scunthorpe the once i saw a cracking meeting and came away thinking wow this Sport can be great.I know everywhere is not like Scunny but the sport can still be great and the product is there..My take is i don't mind what level it is as long as the racing is decent i am happy.I also don't care about winning or losing as long as i have enjoyed the evening and can go home knowing that i have been entertained.

Edited by Sidney the robin

We all moan and whinge about the sport but for me it is worth the 17 pound entrance fee.Last year i went to Scunthorpe the once i saw a cracking meeting and came away thinking wow this Sport can be great.I know everywhere is not like Scunny but the sport can still be great and the product is there..My take is i don't mind what level it is as long as the racing is decent i am happy.I also don't care about winning or losing as long as i have enjoyed the evening and can go home knowing that i have been entertained.

As the majority of folk used to be when happiness was 40-38, with 38-40 not far behind. Someone came top, another came bottom with the rest somewhere in between and speedway folk weren't over-bothered which of those positions their team occupied. Now it's all about winning and there are promoters prepared to do anything to ensure their team is a winner.

Edited by Barney Rabbit
  • Like 1

As the majority of folk used to be when happiness was 40-38, with 38-40 not far behind. Someone came top, another came bottom with the rest somewhere in between and speedway folk weren't over-bothered which of those positions their team occupied. Now it's all about winning and there are promoters prepared to do anything to ensure their team is a winner.

And that is not good Barney,even now the NL is more about winning for me that league is only there for one reason to give the young uns a chance.Hopefully then to help to produce the likes of Bewley,Parkinson, Hume, Smith,Jenkins (ect)who can go on to progress.I watched the NL last year and i was amazed by the standard terrific not many wobblers about.

Decent crowds in those days.

No Double Points, no Play Offs etc. Just plain old fashioned Speedway Races with a Second Half to add to your enjoyment. The League Champions were just that - League Champions.

Those were the days.