Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
STEPHEN 333

Grand Prix Challenge 2017

Add to the fact Germany, Slovakia, Italy and Denmark all get an extra place with the wildcard place joke.

They dont.

7+1 go through from each of the qualis + 2 CCP nominated wild cards for both semi's. From the wildcards to the semi's, if there are no home nation (DE or IT) riders one probably will be nominated with a wild card. There definately will be a Russian rider in the challenge, wild card or not.

• Like 1

Sadly it appears our lack of success in recent years has resulted in a reduced number of qualifying places given to GB. all I can find is 1 spot in Lonigo. No places in the Zarnovica or Abensberg rounds with only the Esbjerg qualifier to be published.So max 2 or 3 I would think.

Esbjerg regs now online which confirms just one spot for ACU.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/60858/no_cache/1/

Country - Requested - Obtained
Argentina 2 - 1
Australia 5 - 4
Austria 3 - 2
Belgium 1 - 1
Croatia 1 - 1
Czech Republic 6 - 5
Denmark 8 - 6
Finland 2 - 2
France 2 - 2
Germany 5 - 5
Great Britain 6 - 2
Hungary 3 - 2
Italy 4 - 4
Latvia 4 - 3
New Zealand 1 - 1
Norway 2 - 2
Poland 8 - 6
Russia 2 - 2
Slovenia 4 - 3
Sweden 8 - 6
Ukraine 3 - 1
USA 1 - 1

DGT Were there 2 spots TBA ? I add these up to 62 against 64 required for the 4 meetings.

DGT Were there 2 spots TBA ? I add these up to 62 against 64 required for the 4 meetings.

DGT probably wrote from the list and missed 2 since the original pdf states 64.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how many places Britain has been allocated, it does have to be said that the vast majority of British riders in the GP Qualifiers have in recent years hardly covered themselves in glory.

Aside from Chris Harris, in the past three years no rider has reached the GP Challenge of their own making; two years ago every British rider apart from Chris Harris was eliminated in the First Qualifying Round and last year every British rider was knocked out in the First Qualifying Round. Robert Lambert was then given a Wild Card to the Lonigo Semi-Final (after being eliminated at Kings Lynn) and reached the GP Challenge in a rain curtailed meeting. In the GP Challenge he finished stone last.

The allocations are unfair, but lets not delude ourselves that British riders have been pushing for GP Qualification.

The allocations are unfair, but lets not delude ourselves that British riders have been pushing for GP Qualification.

The first part is absolutely correct ,so no need for any delusion.Wrong is wrong.You just have to look at some of the countries already mentioned and compare their results to the fairly average results of the GB riders to see that somebody at the FIM seems to be deluded that Czech riders or Norwegian riders have been doing as good or even far better than GB has.Not sure if there is a chance to appeal or take it to an independent sporting court,but the case is pretty easy to show through results over the past couple of years that the allocations are totally unfair.No need to go any further

• Like 1

It's all about loyalty from federations to the FIM I think.

ACU doesn't do much in hosting events (like FSP said) or sending riders to FIM Europe events.

And yes, FIME might be a different department but in fact most of the same people are involved in both parties in some way.

It's all about loyalty from federations to the FIM I think.

ACU doesn't do much in hosting events (like FSP said) or sending riders to FIM Europe events.

And yes, FIME might be a different department but in fact most of the same people are involved in both parties in some way.

But that doesn't make sense,as Norway don't host hardly anything and Australia pretty much nothing over the past decades!!!!.Whereas the UK generally have one or two meetings.SWC most years and U21s often.The Euro stuff might be a possibility,but i wonder if it is maybe to do with not hosting the mickey mouse champions league thing,which is one of Armandos "big" projects

I also thought Sweden had quite a reputation for not hosting FIM meetings

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

But that doesn't make sense,as Norway don't host hardly anything and Australia pretty much nothing over the past decades!!!!.Whereas the UK generally have one or two meetings.SWC most years and U21s often.The Euro stuff might be a possibility,but i wonder if it is maybe to do with not hosting the mickey mouse champions league thing,which is one of Armandos "big" projects

I also thought Sweden had quite a reputation for not hosting FIM meetings

SWC and U21 are both promoted events, so that's a little different :)

Australia is a different thing :P

• Like 1

GB tend to have a round most years. Are we really that bad? I thought we had a reasonable number if GP qualifiers.

GB tend to have a round most years. Are we really that bad? I thought we had a reasonable number if GP qualifiers.

I remember Berwick at least once, Poole and Coventry had challenges, BV had u21 last year. Dont think you that bad. Still dont think FIME has anything to do with this either, though Jesper made a valid new point.

Sweden has two gp's and svemo promotes the other one. Think in all they are close to being good examples. They'll become the pet FMN now that longtrack is back. They do have alot going on.

Where as we over here have pretty much nothing. Varkaus has an APD, but with meetings needing about 10k prize money involved, they've not taken any. Yet.

EDIT: Last year alone ACU had a GP quali in KL and the U21 Somerset/BV. Then you can sort of add IMG promoted Cardiff and SWC raceoff and final.

Edited by f-s-p

I remember Berwick at least once, Poole and Coventry had challenges, BV had u21 last year. Dont think you that bad. Still dont think FIME has anything to do with this either, though Jesper made a valid new point.

Sweden has two gp's and svemo promotes the other one. Think in all they are close to being good examples. They'll become the pet FMN now that longtrack is back. They do have alot going on.

Where as we over here have pretty much nothing. Varkaus has an APD, but with meetings needing about 10k prize money involved, they've not taken any. Yet.

EDIT: Last year alone ACU had a GP quali in KL and the U21 Somerset/BV. Then you can sort of add IMG promoted Cardiff and SWC raceoff and final.

That is what i said,but Jesper was saying those meetings don't count :rofl:

Anyway,carrying on from another thread about should the UK not use so many Australians in their teams,which i agreed with in that it would lessen the chances for Australian riders to reach the top and so help more British riders reach the top.If this sort of thing is going to happen then i would stop using riders from a number of other countries as well.Cut off the training that the Uk gives to many riders and see who will employ them.You can bet that Czech riders will find it hard to get regular meetings elsewhere for instance.

Let's face it there are hardly any decent riders that come from Italy,Hungary,Latvia etc.Austria are allocated the same amount as the UK!!!!They only have about 4 or 5 riders and get 2 places and both of them are the riders wh were riding in the PL last year most probably.

If they take into account that the circumstances in Australia and Argentina are exceptional,they should take into account the position of the British leagues in helping the youngsters from many countries get a professional foothold in the sport.Damage the Uk and you damage the whole sport of speedway.If that is Armandos aim then British promoters should hit back.Not as if his son or many of the Czech riders are going to get a job in any other professional league

• Like 1

Only the finals are OneSport promoted, not qualis.

You are pretty much spot on with the rest as well. I dont care anymore, I just want to build the track and get that sorted. :lol:

• Like 2