British Speedway Forum
womble53

Rip Dennis Wallace Aka 'merlin'

On Facebook today (Caroline Watson aka Midnight Lady), I have been reading with great sadness of the passing this morning of an old friend, Dennis Wallace, better know to many on these pages, and those of the Monarchs Chatzone as 'Merlin'.

I first met Dennis through my travels with the Somerset Rebels, when he kindly provided board and lodgings to myself, and several other Rebels fans, on our trips for the Scottish tours. He was a wonderful host, and nothing was too much trouble for him, his breakfasts were legendary, and his home was our home. He would meet us at the airport, and whisk us away for trips around the area, and some wonderful Haggis lunches in various hostelries around Edinburgh.

Dennis was great company, witty, knowledgeable, smart and with a love of speedway, and in particular the Monarchs, which was plain for all to see. We all enjoyed many conversations about Speedway, and many other subjects, sat around the TV with a beer in hand. Not only did he open his home to visiting fans, he also provided a home for many of the riders, who raced for the Monarchs over the years, Cameron Woodward, Aaron Summers, Kalle Katajisto, and Max Dilger spring immediately to mind as recipients of his hospitality. I recall one occasion, when the late Emil Kramer was looking for a hotel for the night, to catch an early flight home the following morning, and Dennis immediately offered a room at Chez Wallace, with the offer of a lift to the airport in the morning. Emil didn't know Dennis at the time, but over a beer or two in front of the box, they talked about speedway and life, and they became firm friends. Suffice to say that wasn't the last time Emil sampled the Wallace hospitality.

There are many on here, who would have crossed verbal swords with Dennis, and been on the end of his sharp & quick wit, especially Tigers fans, and whether you agreed with his point of view or not, he was always interesting & entertaining in what he had to say.

Sadly Dennis suffered a stroke a few years ago, and had been hospitalised since then, and I believe of late that he had suffered more strokes, which eventually led to his sad passing this morning. I for one feel privileged to have known him, and will miss his kind hospitality, impromptu tours, and ready wit.

RIP Dennis

Sounds like a great man and a great help to our sport, we could use more like him. RIP Dennis.

• Like 1

On Facebook today (Caroline Watson aka Midnight Lady), I have been reading with great sadness of the passing this morning of an old friend, Dennis Wallace, better know to many on these pages, and those of the Monarchs Chatzone as 'Merlin'.

I first met Dennis through my travels with the Somerset Rebels, when he kindly provided board and lodgings to myself, and several other Rebels fans, on our trips for the Scottish tours. He was a wonderful host, and nothing was too much trouble for him, his breakfasts were legendary, and his home was our home. He would meet us at the airport, and whisk us away for trips around the area, and some wonderful Haggis lunches in various hostelries around Edinburgh.

Dennis was great company, witty, knowledgeable, smart and with a love of speedway, and in particular the Monarchs, which was plain for all to see. We all enjoyed many conversations about Speedway, and many other subjects, sat around the TV with a beer in hand. Not only did he open his home to visiting fans, he also provided a home for many of the riders, who raced for the Monarchs over the years, Cameron Woodward, Aaron Summers, Kalle Katajisto, and Max Dilger spring immediately to mind as recipients of his hospitality. I recall one occasion, when the late Emil Kramer was looking for a hotel for the night, to catch an early flight home the following morning, and Dennis immediately offered a room at Chez Wallace, with the offer of a lift to the airport in the morning. Emil didn't know Dennis at the time, but over a beer or two in front of the box, they talked about speedway and life, and they became firm friends. Suffice to say that wasn't the last time Emil sampled the Wallace hospitality.

There are many on here, who would have crossed verbal swords with Dennis, and been on the end of his sharp & quick wit, especially Tigers fans, and whether you agreed with his point of view or not, he was always interesting & entertaining in what he had to say.

Sadly Dennis suffered a stroke a few years ago, which affected him greatly, and I believe of late that he had suffered more strokes, which eventually led to his sad passing this morning. I for one feel privileged to have known him, and will miss his kind hospitality, impromptu tours, and ready wit.

My condolences go out to all his family & friends.

RIP Dennis

I well remember Merlin, and knew about his fantastic offers of accommodation and friendship to his riders. I was also hosting Newcastle foreign riders at the time, and we often commented on our experiences both on here and, when we met.

He was an original, and one that the sport could hardly afford to lose. Sad that I didn't know that his absence on here was for the reasons stated.

RIP Merlin (Dennis)

• Like 2

Feel so privileged to have known Dennis, I was first introduced by bluejam. I also feel very sad to read this, it seems such a long time since I last bumped into him at Armadale. Such a lovely, friendly and exceptionally pleasant person, he always had time to have a chat. RIP friend.

• Like 1

Very, very sad to hear this. I never met 'Merlin' as I knew him. We corresponded a few times on this Forum. His replies to my messages were always kind and friendly and we never had a cross word.

It is a while ago now since we were last in contact.

Rest in Peace. + Dennis - you were what Speedway Supporting was all about.

I met Dennis (Merlin), after being introduced by Paulco.

He was so obviously speedway through-and-through; one of these chaps would do anything for his local club. And generous as well - I remember him going out of his way to drop Paulco and myself back at the station.

RIP Dennis - a sad loss.

All the best

Rob

• Like 5

As I said in my earlier Post - I had never met Dennis but had corresponded with him.

Thank you Steve for Posting this - it is nice to put a face to the name.

Again - many thanks.

Ian.

I can well remember reading his posts and meeting reports, of which there were many, which stood out not only for that hypnotic avatar, but also his love of writing. A man who clearly loved his speedway, and a big character on the forums. Condolences to his friends and family.

You see people at speedway but don't always know their name. Then you see their photo and you do know them. R.I.P. Dennis.

Very sad to read this.

one of a very few genuine good guys, even if you disagreed with him on things, always a gentleman and respectful of others. Did an incredible amount for his beloved Monarchs but also for other speedway people and riders never looking for recognition or anything and wombles opening post is a perfect tribute

RIP Dennis

• Like 2

People like Dennis are the reason Speedway fans are the best in the world. God bless.

Edited by baba
  • Like 2