British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Whilst I'm not going to disagree that more could be done to give all youth riders more track time and not just the chosen few. The MDL is not in my opinion the place for it. It was created as a NL feeder league / speedway rider finishing school where skills could be honed before stepping up.

It feels at the moment there is a real panic about fast tracking youth riders through to patch the holes that currently exist elsewhere in the sport

I've seen his post now because you quoted it . normal pro BSPA crap . and fairy dairy land ideas , don't waste your time with him . next thing he will claiming you have said this or that by PM , and you are spiteful and jealous for some reason

So the regs are out and the league is ruined!

21.15 The meeting format is 4 riders / 6 heats. 4 man teams – 2 senior 500cc riders and 2 youth riders.

The Speedway Regulations 55 The youth riders are to be 2 x 125cc riders that are names in the squad at the start of the season.

If the home team are unable to name 2 x 125cc (squad or non squad) riders for a fixture they must enroll

either 2 x 250cc or 2 x 500cc youth riders (14 or 15 years old holding a Youth SCB Registration)

and advise the visiting team at least 5 days prior to the fixture to enable the visiting team to enroll 2 riders from the same class for that fixture.

So in effect if:

Team A has 2 x 125 riders signed on at the start of the season & are prepared to do all the meetings that year.

Team B cannot locate 2 x 125 riders for the match between Teams A & B. Then 5 days before the match Team B have to Team A that they cannot complete the 125 class and are searching for alternative youngsters.

Therefore 2 x 125 youth riders from Team A will be disappointed, both teams managers will then scrabble for the best available 250/500 youth riders available. If a team secures the use of the top 2 x 250 youth riders in the country why would they bother looking for 2 x 125 riders?

Thank you all in power i hope you will sleep easy knowing that you have hammered another huge nail into the coffin of UK speedways future.

• Like 1

Where did you see this, Sings? I know that this is what is proposed, but I thought that it was being opposed. The final decision hasn't been announced as far as I can see, either on the Internet, or in today's Speedway Star.

Its what is listed in the 2017 SCB regulations. Obviously its not the first time these have been released incorrectly but certainly looks like a bullying tactic to me?

The last i heard was that teams had to declare by 27th of Feb if they intend to run? Not sure if they got an extension while the nonsense is sorted out?

Its what is listed in the 2017 SCB regulations. Obviously its not the first time these have been released incorrectly but certainly looks like a bullying tactic to me?

The last i heard was that teams had to declare by 27th of Feb if they intend to run? Not sure if they got an extension while the nonsense is sorted out?

once again over complicated Bullshyt , that plays right into the hands of cheats , they have wrecked the other 3 leagues with silly rules and now they are setting about this one , I feel sorry for the people who have given their time and effort over the last 6 years to make this the best possible training league we have ever had . and even more so for the people who are still , against the odds trying to run a decent league which will find future stars . Having been Involved In MDL from when it was just a twinkle in Kelvin Lapworths eyes many moons ago and seen lads progress through it to elite league , I wouldn't blame anyone who gave up , stupid is as stupid does and that is the BSPA , RIP Midland league

• Like 3

Having been Involved In MDL from when it was just a twinkle in Kelvin Lapworths eyes many moons ago and seen lads progress through it to elite league , I wouldn't blame anyone who gave up , stupid is as stupid does and that is the BSPA , RIP Midland league

Thanks Simon.

Prior to 2011 there was a lack of meaningful 2nd halves. Most tracks were running 3 heats of "stars of tomorrow" races. The same 4 riders against each other. Usually the heats would contain 1 dominant rider. Not only were these races boring to the spectators, they were meaningless to the riders. They were getting nothing out of them. Myself and Nigel Hinchliffe realised this and came up with the idea of setting up what was to become the MDL. Instead of the same 4 riders there would now be 8 which meant more variety in their races. No more would there be one dominant rider. More importantly the riders were part of a team which gave them a taste of what it would be like to step up to National League level. Running round 4 laps is one thing but when it's for your team and every point counts you see a big difference in the riders and the comradery that I have witnessed during my time in the MDL was priceless.
The one other aspect we must not forget is the paying public. They want value for their money and from my time involved most of them actually took interest in the MDL and stayed behind to watch and get behind the lads. Prior to the MDL hardly anyone stayed behind to watch the aforementioned Stars of Tomorrow races.
I firmly believe that the MDL in its existing format has worked well and has provided youngsters with the experience of meaningful competitive racing that prepares them for the big step up to the National League. If you look at the line up's in the Premiership today Max Clegg, James Shanes, Josh Bailey & Nathan Greaves all started out in the MDL.
  • Like 6

Thanks Simon.

Prior to 2011 there was a lack of meaningful 2nd halves. Most tracks were running 3 heats of "stars of tomorrow" races. The same 4 riders against each other. Usually the heats would contain 1 dominant rider. Not only were these races boring to the spectators, they were meaningless to the riders. They were getting nothing out of them. Myself and Nigel Hinchliffe realised this and came up with the idea of setting up what was to become the MDL. Instead of the same 4 riders there would now be 8 which meant more variety in their races. No more would there be one dominant rider. More importantly the riders were part of a team which gave them a taste of what it would be like to step up to National League level. Running round 4 laps is one thing but when it's for your team and every point counts you see a big difference in the riders and the comradery that I have witnessed during my time in the MDL was priceless.
The one other aspect we must not forget is the paying public. They want value for their money and from my time involved most of them actually took interest in the MDL and stayed behind to watch and get behind the lads. Prior to the MDL hardly anyone stayed behind to watch the aforementioned Stars of Tomorrow races.
I firmly believe that the MDL in its existing format has worked well and has provided youngsters with the experience of meaningful competitive racing that prepares them for the big step up to the National League. If you look at the line up's in the Premiership today Max Clegg, James Shanes, Josh Bailey & Nathan Greaves all started out in the MDL.

I agree with you completely Kelvin, and thought that we were finally taking a step forward with the sport....and we were.

Each and every meeting that I went to in the country, and I travel a lot, watching teams other than my own local club, I ALWAYS stayed on to watch an MDL match, but NEVER just a few junior races, because as you said, to the public, they meant nothing. The fact that a/your club was being represented, made the difference between staying or going home.

It matters not what sport you play, and at what ever level, if you are wearing club colours, it means something to you as a competitor, and makes you try that bit harder knowing the public are watching, as it's human nature to want to impress.

However, if you're competing against others as individuals with virtually nobody watching or caring, you lose that edge, and don't push yourself to go that extra mile.

• Like 2

Not sure you can say the listed riders started in the mdl would admit the honed their skills there. Youth speedway is on the up and I do feel there are plenty of opportunities for all levels of rider and cc that a compromise can be come to, to solve the problem. Seems a lot of needless effing and jeffin and general unpleasant comments from those who don't agree and want things there way or know way

• Like 1

Not sure you can say the listed riders started in the mdl would admit the honed their skills there. Youth speedway is on the up and I do feel there are plenty of opportunities for all levels of rider and cc that a compromise can be come to, to solve the problem. Seems a lot of needless effing and jeffin and general unpleasant comments from those who don't agree and want things there way or know way

Agreed not started but skill honed in the MDL (list also forgets Danny Ayres & Ellis Perks as MDL to premiership graduates).

Out of interest Phil how would you react if the higher powers had interfered with the NJL and insisted it became a 4 vs 4 500cc competition?

• Like 1

In fairness I would of been disappointed at the loss of fixtures but still wouldn't of seen the need for the outbursts we have had. Also the njl only accounted for 10 of our fixtures and five of those clashed with other opportunities to ride.

I do like the way Scunthorpe run the mdl meetings when they mix the 125/150 class in with the old format so you ride after heats 2.4&6 gives all riders a bit of a break

• Like 1

So the season has started. Does anyone know which teams are in the Junior leagues this season?

The only team I've heard mentioned is Reading, and if that is correct, then there is some confusion as to whether they will operate at Iwade, Eastbourne or maybe somewhere else!!

Crazy really to think the speedway season is now under way, and these proposed leagues (MDL & SJL) are being kept a dark secret.

Scunthorpe Stags are, at least, in MDL, I gather but when and against whom I haven't heard yet ... Pleeeasee?

The only team I've heard mentioned is Reading, and if that is correct, then there is some confusion as to whether they will operate at Iwade, Eastbourne or maybe somewhere else!!

Crazy really to think the speedway season is now under way, and these proposed leagues (MDL & SJL) are being kept a dark secret.

There has never been any confusion over where Reading will ride... the track on which they rode their only meeting last year is the answer, and I'm surprised it's not common knowledge. Once the SDL has been finalised by the SCB, all the announcements will be made.

• Like 1