British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Speedway Number Eights.

Hi, it has been quite a while since I was fully up to speed on the rulebook and would like help on the following.

If a team has Rider Replacement and then name a number 8, when and who can he takes his rides? Is it purely to replace the R/R and what is the minimum rides he would get?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, it has been quite a while since I was fully up to speed on the rulebook and would like help on the following.

If a team has Rider Replacement and then name a number 8, when and who can he takes his rides? Is it purely to replace the R/R and what is the minimum rides he would get?

Thanks in advance.

Number 8's, I remember them!!

Don't seem to be used in modern speedway (cost saving) as you had to pay them, ride or not.. However, I can't remember if they were treated ride wise, as an additional reserve or had special rules...

No. 8s could only be used for Rider Replacement: they were NOT an extra reserve. However, if a team loses a reserve due to injury during a match, they can be in trouble if they don't have a No. 8. We saw that some years ago when Rye House had two riders withdrew injured; with R/R they only had 4 riders left. A No. 8 could have taken the R/R rides while the reserves covered for the others, but they didn't have one ...

Number 8's, I remember them!!

Don't seem to be used in modern speedway (cost saving) as you had to pay them, ride or not.. However, I can't remember if they were treated ride wise, as an additional reserve or had special rules...

Used a few times in the NL last season by teams.

No. 8s could only be used for Rider Replacement: they were NOT an extra reserve. However, if a team loses a reserve due to injury during a match, they can be in trouble if they don't have a No. 8. We saw that some years ago when Rye House had two riders withdrew injured; with R/R they only had 4 riders left. A No. 8 could have taken the R/R rides while the reserves covered for the others, but they didn't have one ...

A No. 8 can generally only replace the absent rider when R/R is being used. However, they can also be used where the absent rider may otherwise be used - namely nominated heats, and in the past, as a tactical substitute.

In the heat format by the BL in the late-80s, a No. 8 could also be used to replace an injured reserve in the reserves' races (Heats 2 and 14).

Rob Grant once scored a 12pt max as a No.8 for Berwick at Barrow in 1981.

Unfortunately for him, Berwick's results that season were later expunged so it is not now officially recognized. Still some feat though.

• Like 2

A No. 8 can generally only replace the absent rider when R/R is being used. However, they can also be used where the absent rider may otherwise be used - namely nominated heats, and in the past, as a tactical substitute.

In the heat format by the BL in the late-80s, a No. 8 could also be used to replace an injured reserve in the reserves' races (Heats 2 and 14).

Oxford once denied Wimbledon the R/R facility as they hadn't brought along with them a Number 8...it was the ruling at the time. Also the Number 8 had to be guaranteed at least two rides in the meeting if not in the main match but during the second half.

Thanks in advance.

As most of the above have correctly pointed out a number 8 can only take the RR rides and there is no minimum amount they can take. So all to often a number 8 is booked and stands on the sidelines all night

Used a few times in the NL last season by teams.

A rider who is, shall we say, not very good, was used several times as No. 8 at Birmingham last year. Then when Cradley turned up with rider replacement, he was No. 8 for them. This was too good an oppotunity to miss; I told the Crudleyites loudly that we had really fixed them ... when he was nominated in one race, the Heathens fans shouted "They are deliberately trying to lose!" and left! :rofl:

Oxford once denied Wimbledon the R/R facility as they hadn't brought along with them a Number 8...it was the ruling at the time. Also the Number 8 had to be guaranteed at least two rides in the meeting if not in the main match but during the second half.

And still is Steve.

• Like 1

have there ever been official no. 9's used in british matches involving 8 man teams?

I seem to recall there were No.9s in 1993 when the 18-heat format was used. They could replace injured reserves in the dedicated reserves races.

1993 Rule Book

Rule B14

Rider Replacement Scheme...

"An additional rider must be present: he shall be programmed as number 9"

B14(ii) stated that the number 9 may replace an R/R rider excluded under 2 mins or any other starting offence or if the original RR rider is not fit for a rerun.

There was no facility for no 9s to ride in the reserve heat.

Humph is thinking of Rule B8A which only permitted the replacement of a reserve in ht 15 (the second reserves heat in the 1993 format) where both were injured, and then the only eligible replacement was the no 6 in the team's averages.

(I believe this rule was rarely used - I saw it happen at Long Eaton [28 July v Peterboro [Alan Mogridge rode in ht 15 after Panthers reserves Gage and McCullogh crashed out in the first reserves race*] - can anyone recall other cases where it was used?)

* Panthers were also operating R/R for Rod Colquhoun, but no 9 Carl Johnson did not get a ride

16th August 93 at Exeter, both the home side and visitors MIddlesbrough operated R/R. Graeme Gordon & Rob Price were the respective #9 riders, neither got a ride.

Bears' #8 Mike Smith crashed out taking an R/R ride in heat 3 and wasn't replaced in either heat 4 or heat 15, both of which went with 3 only.

Falcons' #4 Dave Steen, #5 Richard Green and #6 Frank Smart were all injured during the meeting. When the nominated heats rolled up they were unable to track anyone to cover the R/R in heat 16 or Green's ride in heat 17.

I have a vague recollection of seeing the 'both reserves injured' rule in operation but I don't have a programme to back that up.