British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Flat Track Class At Grasstrack Metings

Would any Flat Trackers be interested in having a class at Grasstrack meetings ? Maybe Vince ?

I would like to do a couple but in all honesty it probably wouldn't be a regular thing and we wouldn't be competitive against MX tyres and brakes in a MX class on the grass.

Best thing might be to contact Anthony Brown on the DTRA website here and get him to ask for some feedback from the members. I feel sure that a meeting in the midlands with a flat track only class would attract a few.

Thanks for your reply Vince, I'll contact Anthony Brown as you suggest. We intend to keep it Flat Track only as we don't want MX tyres cutting up the track.

We would have to run day licences too as we are affiliated to the MCF, or get club membership and ACU licences for those who intended doing more meetings I guess.

Day licences will be available if needed, club membership won't be a problem ;)

I'm sure myself and Sam would fit it in if we could and suspect you could make a full line in the right areas

Great, I'll keep you informed.

It's quite a time since the suggestion for a Flat Track class at grass track meetings was put forward. Have there been any further developments or is the idea now on the famed back burner?

Flat Track Racing is an interesting topic, about which I did not know much about until it was brought up here as a topic on the BSF.

It seems there is currently something like a revival for flat track racing in the USA. And it is catching on world wide, at least in countries where there is no other form of Motorcycle dirt track oval racing (Speedway, long-track and grass-track etc) established, and is already quite popular in Spain, or Italy.

I can see the potential in Flat Track racing. It may ultimately replace our Grass-track / Long-track racing. It has the advantage of all the big international motorcycle producers being involved. And I can see that these bikes and the livestyle that goes with dirt track / flat track racing is appealing to the younger generation, certainly more than grass-track or long-track.

However, I can't see it ever replacing Speedway, because Speedway is such a unique form of motor sport as a team sport with leagues and internationals etc, and to me speedway is much more exciting to watch than flat-track racing.

Here is a "dash for cash" flat track race at Santa Rosa (1 mile track) featuring six riders over four laps, just like at a long-track race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQmKWK0Z1o

I endorse Bavarian's comments and yet again - as I have several times in relation to various threads about the emergence of Flat Track racing in the Uk, and probably elsewhere in the world, reiterate that the formula is not seeking to supercede speedway.

It just wants to evolve and develop as a formula in its own right. Sadly, there are some in the speedway fraternity who for reasons best known to themselves regard Flat Track as a threat.

It all reminds me of 1954 when stock car racing - then very much a 'bang and crash formula' and lacking many of the non contact classes they have these days - first appeared in the UK. Despite the ridicule aimed at it by the speedway fraternity car racing on small oval tracks survived and is now a flourishing section of the overall car racing scene. And that I foresee is what will happen in regard to Flat Track racing in the UK and some UK countries.

And a neat snip in speedway's tail is that a car racing promotion group is in control at two venues where speedway promotions are their tenants.How times have changed over the past 63 years?

Rich has been on the case and there is indeed a flat track class to be run at the Bristol clubs meeting in May. Will be good to see if there is interest from the riders, I will be entering for sure and know a few others who have expressed an interest so hopefully it will make for an interesting add on to the meeting.

• Like 1

Rich has been on the case and there is indeed a flat track class to be run at the Bristol clubs meeting in May. Will be good to see if there is interest from the riders, I will be entering for sure and know a few others who have expressed an interest so hopefully it will make for an interesting add on to the meeting.

That's wonderful news Vince. Please keep the group updated on further developments.