Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CookieIpswich

Sky Sports

Out of interest does anyone know how many people watch speedway on sky sports per show for a league meeting (not talking play off)

GENERALLY between 80,000 and 100,000 ... occasionally more. Quite obviously most of these people have no interest in attending speedway meetings live.

• Like 2

GENERALLY between 80,000 and 100,000 ... occasionally more. Quite obviously most of these people have no interest in attending speedway meetings live.

Or can't get to them or afford the cost.

Does anyone know how much per season Sky pay the BSPA for broadcasting speedway? And how much commission RR takes out of it or on top of it? Why the secrecy?

Wrong I attend plenty live speedway meetingsover the course of the season but It's a wee bit difficult for me to attend a live meeting in Poole or somewhere else's that's 200 miles + away when I live in The Scottish Borders , so I watch it live on Sky instead

Wrong about you perhaps, but not the thousands of others.

Whenever I talk (preach!) to people about speedway, either those who went years ago or who know about it but have never been, they are flabbergasted with the price. I believe that is speedway's primary problem.

• Like 5

Wrong about you perhaps, but not the thousands of others.

Whenever I talk (preach!) to people about speedway, either those who went years ago or who know about it but have never been, they are flabbergasted with the price. I believe that is speedway's primary problem.

Allied to the 'equal problem' of having to watch riders representing 'your club' who belong to other teams, meaning you just don't have that 'emotional' connection as often the team on show simply isn't 'your team'...

If the sport had that then (maybe) they could get away with the current admission level as your loyalty would mean you 'have to go' most weeks... (Many football teams get away with this)...

Now I can easily miss several meetings when 'select teams' are on show and not feel I have missed anything at all, such is the contrived nature of the event..

I would though still watch a 'select match' if it was on Sky and take it for what it was, ie 15 speedway races to be hopefully enjoyed, however I would be also glad that I didn't pay any money to attend it in person..

The price is the main problem, if it was £10 to ?12 I'd go to Cradley AND Wolves every week

• Like 2

I'm amazed at the comment that none speedway people are flabbergasted at the price to attend.

Yet I assume they are more than happy to pay nearly double to watch football!!!

• Like 1

I'm amazed at the comment that none speedway people are flabbergasted at the price to attend.

Yet I assume they are more than happy to pay nearly double to watch football!!!

Football is the leader, kids are brought up to play it, all the media is saturated with it and more people live within easy access of it at professional level. Imagine Wayne Rooney playing for both Man.U. and a Championship side at the same time, imagine him donning a black and white hat to take a penalty, imagine him guesting for Leicester while Vardy goes and practices in Poland. While we might love a good race, Speedway is just a circus act to most people.

• Like 3

We come to the 'Chicken and Egg' syndrome. Years ago we had double the number of track for the supporter to attain their weekly ration of the sport and therefore there were far more people going to meetings.

So they say.... but if they had attended in vast numbers, then those tracks would've had a better chance of staying open...... So we need to look at other areas why supporters stay away and the obvious answer is cost....

Going back in time to the early 70's when Neil Street ( genius engineer and a awesome chap) created the first of the 4 valve engine, While others were standing there in amazement of what the engine could do, Terry Betts pointed out the sport can ill afford such development.. When his comments were questioned, he replied This engine has to be banned, if not then everybody would need to purchase similar just to be competitive. The costs will need to be met, Riders will want more money, the promoters will have to charge more to come in and the fans will be expected to pay. Speedway as we know it will be gone forever........

How true those words were. If they had taken more notice of what was happening then, probably the sport would be in better shape than it is today......

Edited by GRW123