British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pine490

Southern Junior League?

Does anyone more informed than me know if there have been any further developments regarding the establishing of a Southern Junior League for 2017 and which clubs are likely to be involved?

Thanks,

David

https://speedwayprogrammes.wordpress.com

So there is going to be a Southern Development League.

Kent will be in it and have meetings at Iwade with some maybe at Central Park.

Be interesting who else is in it.

• Like 1

So there is going to be a Southern Development League.

Kent will be in it and have meetings at Iwade with some maybe at Central Park.

Be interesting who else is in it.

Good on Kent for actually doing something to aid rider development especially as the curfew has previously prevented it. Im guessing Rowe, Spooner & Andrews if he fancies it will be involved?

Considering Laurence Rodgers is the organiser its going to be a wide spread league from Kent down to Plymouth. Ive heard rumours that Reading may be involved somewhere (Eastbourne?), id be surprised if Exeter are not included and run from Somerset and would be good if Swindon got a team involved.

Not sure of the format though as currently there is a SCB wally trying to spoil it for everyone and impose a format none of the MDL teams are currently happy with but don't know if that extends to the SDL?

Thing is a kent we can fill many places.

Rowe Spooner Andrews Cousins plus the Iwade and Lydd regulars we are blessed with talent in our area.

I didn't know cousins still rode?

What I want to know is who is likely to be riding for Exeter and Iwade

It's hoped that there will be six teams competing, as I understand it.

Devon (racing at Plymouth)

Exeter (racing at Somerset)

Iwade (STILL TO BE CONFIRMED)

Kent (Racing venue still to be confirmed)

Reading (Racing at Eastbourne)

Weymouth (Racing at Plymouth)

It's hoped that there will be six teams competing, as I understand it.

Devon (racing at Plymouth)

Exeter (racing at Somerset)

Iwade (STILL TO BE CONFIRMED)

Kent (Racing venue still to be confirmed)

Reading (Racing at Eastbourne)

Weymouth (Racing at Plymouth)

I'm sure the Devon team are still called Plymouth

Plymouth Demons, Exeter Falcons, Iwade Crusaders, Kent Kestrels, Reading Racers and Weymouth Wildcats

Can anyone confirm what riders are eligible for the SDL?

Ive seen bits about NL riders under a 4.00 average?

How many NL riders are allowed per team? / per match?

Brits Only?

Teams to be made up of solely squad members?, Mostly squad members?, a minimum amount of squad members?

Sure there are others that will come to me later.

I'm sure the Devon team are still called Plymouth

Plymouth Demons, Exeter Falcons, Iwade Crusaders, Kent Kestrels, Reading Racers and Weymouth Wildcats

Everything I have seen says 'Devon Demons'.

Can anyone confirm what riders are eligible for the SDL?

Ive seen bits about NL riders under a 4.00 average?

How many NL riders are allowed per team? / per match?

Brits Only?

Teams to be made up of solely squad members?, Mostly squad members?, a minimum amount of squad members?

Sure there are others that will come to me later.

The MDL is certainly NL riders under 4.0; SDL probably the same. Teams are only squad members, squads of six riders. Riders should not ride for other teams, but I don't know how long that will last! I know that some teams are trying to play fair, but some are using NL riders. Riders can be in both Southern and Midland DLs. Brits only.

Can anyone tell me when the SDL fixtures will be released.

The fixture list hasn't been issued yet as the Iwade situation still isn't clear, although Kent are going to run two meetings on the 24 April..

Yes indeed.

The kent kestrels take on the Exeter Falcons and the Weymouth Wildcats in a double header on Monday night.

The fixture list for both MDL and SDL are now on the SGB website.

Kent Kestrels 27 Exeter Falcons 8

Bradley Andrews 9 Andrew Palmer 3+1

Alex Spooner 8+1 Craig Nethercott 3

Jamie Couzins 7+2 Rob Watts 1

James Laker 3+1 Stevie Anderson 1

Kent Kestrels 22 Weymouth Wildcats 14

Spooner 8+1 Martin French 4+1

Andrews 8 Connor Locke 4

Couzins 6+2 Tom Meakins 3+1

Laker 0 Niall Strudwick 2

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 2

So a new era in speedway has started tonight at Central Park Sittingbourne. The very first Southern Development League (SDL) matches took place tonight hosted by the all new Kent Kestrels who hosted a pair of Nomadic teams doing well to keep their team names active.

Meeting one featured The Kent Kestrels Vs the Exeter Falcons. Bradley Andrews taking the honour of winning the new leagues first ever race, and his winning time of 62.0 stands as the SDL track record. Three of the Kestrels (Andrews Spooner Couzins) went unbeaten by an opponent and local schoolboy James Laker had a fine showing to score paid 4 in his debut. Whilst the scoreline of 27-8 seems one sided, there were plenty of positives from the guests. Rob Watt suprisingly only scored 1 but another local lad Andrew Palmer scored a very well earn't paid 4 points which once he gains some confidence he will progress towards NL quite quickly. Stevie Anderson looks like he has the basics in place, and Craig Nethercott lead heat 5 for 3 and a half laps before making a mistake coming off turn 2 allowing Couzins to steal the win.

The second match featured the Weymouth Wildcats, the heathens opened between the two meetings which slowed down the races but in truth never really caused the riders to much trouble. The first heat started the same as the first meeting with Andrews and Couzins raced to an easy 5-1 over Martin French and faller Niall Strudwick. Heat 2 started in dramatic fashion with Connor Locke flying into the first turn and falling with James Laker coming down as a result. Riders all ok but Laker suffered bike problems which prevented him from entering the rerun and prevented him scoring in his other rides too. With Locke being excluded it left 2 riders with Spooner who got paid maxes in both meetings beating Tom Meakins to the win. The next 3 heats were all shared races with Connor Locke winning in impressive style in heat 3 in so doing becoming the only visiting rider to beat both Andrews and Couzins in the process. With laker having bike issues in the next 2 heats the gap going into the final heat was 4 points so an away 5-1 would lead to a draw. The result was 5-1 but to the home team, with Andrews and Spooner holding off the quick looking Locke, whilst Strudwick was again a faller.

Really showed what the league is about, NL reserves taking confidence boosting wins. The next generation like Laker and Palmer, getting that valuable early experience of team speedway and of course the journeyman riders like Watts and Strudwick who show no signs of improvement but have a league they can ride their passion at a competitive level.

A great evening of entertainment for 6 quid, what's not to love.

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1