British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Rye House V Wolverhampton Sat 1st April

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Ok it’s early to put up [6 weeks] this thread, but for the first time in many along year I’m quietly looking forward to the 2017 season. Have the BSPA at long last got it right I wonder?

The opener for my local track Rye House is the visit of Wolverhampton’s on April 1st, ironically of course April Fool’s Day!

For the Wolves certainly Sam Masters has been around the Rye track quite a few times but not at the senior level. But how much difference is there now between the old Premier and the new SCB Premiership?

Not sure if Adam Skornicki has even ridden at Rye but it’ll certainly be a meeting when the riders from both teams will be brushing off the winter cobwebs. The outstanding rider for the Wolves is Freddie Lindgren, again not sure if he's ridden Rye and with backup from Jacob Thorssell. The tail does look a bit weak for Wolves in Nathan Greaves, Kyle Howarth, and Max Clegg.

With the Rockets 1-6 certainly looking a lot stronger with Eddie Kennett, Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls, Davey Watt, Stuart Robson, Rob Branford and with Ellis Perks hopefully he'll be able to pick a few points up.

A few of the Wolves boys will have ridden at PK’s farewell a few weeks before and Wolves will have raced at home to Poole the previous Monday so they’ll certainly be less race rusty than the new look Rockets!

As for the result, well I’d probably still plump for a Rye win but you never know with speedway. I’m sure there’ll be some disagreements in my post and sure there’ll be some corrections!

It’ll be interesting to see what changes and improvements have been made to Rye's facilities for the opener as quite honestly last year the place was a building site, let’s hope it’s all completed for the opener on April 1st!

• Like 1

Any pics of work done on the stadium yet?

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

As far as I know, it's still a building site, and unlikely to be much better by tapes up.

Be shooting themselves in the foot if it isn't. Whats the point in building a team to draw in a big crowd if you can't accommodate them when they arrive?

The temp stand was demolished and a new one erected in a couple of weeks. I'm sure the new building works will be sorted in time. Still over 5 weeks to go. Don't panic people.

Should be a comfortable home win for Rye House as they have built a strong top five with vast experience and while both teams have young reserves, the Wolves pairing look vulnerable away from home to say the least and that could be a concern for the defending champions all season.

In Lindgren and Masters they have two riders who should go well here and Thorssell has certainly improved his away form and progressed into a decent heat leader who should form a strong top three but this is possibly the strongest test they will have all season so to come here first may be a bit early in the campaign for them.

Much of the Wolves season will depend on the second strings of Skornicki and Howarth and both showed signs of strength in the PK Farewell meeting but also signs of weakness and Wolves will need these to be testing and beating Watt and Robson which is going to be hard to do on home soil.

Rockets 53 Wolves 39 my prediction but on their second visit it could be tighter.

Easy home win

I dunno why everyone is thinking it's gonna be easy

Should be competitive. I'd be surprised if Lindgren didn't go through the card.

Pleased with our side for the year but won't make too many predictions until I see how Nicholls takes to the Rye track, how Harris copes having Rye as a home track and if Watt can perform to the standard he showed in Australia over the winter (barring one meeting).

This will be won/lost by the second strings and reserves I think. The heatleaders look reasonably even.

No news on p & p yet I wonder if there will be one open to the fans and as our no.1 and no. 3 riders are at Somerset on Friday presumably it will not be that day.