British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Tracks Operating In 1929

These old era topics always afford me much interest. And it's special thanks to Compos for initiating the theme. With due respects, I go back to aboriginal Post by our good friend which remarks on the 1929 season - when league racing began:

:::::::::::

compost = Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi
I'm compiling a list of tracks that ran Speedway in 1929. Below is a list of the tracks I've come across but have I missed anyone ?
EDL
Barnsley, Belle Vue (Hyde Rd), Bolton, Burnley, Halifax, Leeds, Leicester Stadium, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle (Brough Park), Preston, Rochdale, Salford, Sheffield, Stoke (Hanley), Warrington, White City Manchester
SL
Coventry, Crystal Palace, Hall Green (Birmingham), Harringay, Lea Bridge, Perry Barr (Birmingham), Southampton, Stamford Bridge, Wembley, West Ham, White City London, Wimbledon
Non-League
Aldershot (Boxall), Audenshaw, Blackpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Marine Gdns, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Greenford, Handforth (Grass Track). High Beech, High Lane (Grasstrack), Huddersfield, Hull (Grasstrack), Leicester Super, Newcastle (Gosforth), Northampton (Hannington), Northampton (Stadium), Nottingham, Pontypridd, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Swindon Gorse Hill, Thorne, Tredegar, Whitley Bay, Wolverhampton, Wombwell (Ing), Wombwell (South Stadium)
Many thanks
PS. Can anyone confirm the venues that ran Speedway in Blackpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth in 1929 ? Thanks
Edited by Guest

These old era topics always afford me much interest. And it's special thanks to Compos for initiating the theme. With due respects, I go back to aboriginal Post by our good friend which remarks on the 1929 season - when league racing began:

:::::::::::

compost = Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi
I'm compiling a list of tracks that ran Speedway in 1929. Below is a list of the tracks I've come across but have I missed anyone ?
EDL
Barnsley, Belle Vue (Hyde Rd), Bolton, Burnley, Halifax, Leeds, Leicester Stadium, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle (Brough Park), Preston, Rochdale, Salford, Sheffield, Stoke (Hanley), Warrington, White City Manchester
SL
Coventry, Crystal Palace, Hall Green (Birmingham), Harringay, Lea Bridge, Perry Barr (Birmingham), Southampton, Stamford Bridge, Wembley, West Ham, White City London, Wimbledon
Non-League
Aldershot (Boxall), Audenshaw, Blackpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Marine Gdns, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Greenford, Handforth (Grass Track). High Beech, High Lane (Grasstrack), Huddersfield, Hull (Grasstrack), Leicester Super, Newcastle (Gosforth), Northampton (Hannington), Northampton (Stadium), Nottingham, Pontypridd, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Swindon Gorse Hill, Thorne, Tredegar, Whitley Bay, Wolverhampton, Wombwell (Ing), Wombwell (South Stadium)
Many thanks
PS. Can anyone confirm the venues that ran Speedway in Blackpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth in 1929 ? Thanks

Although racing is listed to have taken place at both St Annes Road Greyhound Stadium and Highfield Road Sports Ground, Blackpool in 1929, there is little or no evidence to suggest that it actually did. The only track operating in Glasgow that year was the White City Stadium. Portsmouth held meetings at The Wessex Stadium, Copnor Gardens.

Although racing is listed to have taken place at both St Annes Road Greyhound Stadium and Highfield Road Sports Ground, Blackpool in 1929, there is little or no evidence to suggest that it actually did. The only track operating in Glasgow that year was the White City Stadium. Portsmouth held meetings at The Wessex Stadium, Copnor Gardens.

I have found this Link on Defunct Tracks in regard to Blackpool - it indicates that speedway took place there between 1928 and 1930: the actual date April 21 was a Saturday in 1928. The Link indicates there was some activity into 1930 but carries no further evidence of that. The location given on the programme cover is the Sports Ground, Blackpool.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Blackpool.htm

Edited by Guest

I have fund this Link on Defunct Tracks in regard to Blackpool - it indicates that speedway took place there between 1928 and 1930: the actual date April 21 was a Saturday in 1928. The Link indicates there was some activity into 1930 but carries no further evidence of that. The location given on the programme cover is the Sports Ground, Blackpool.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Blackpool.htm

Racing certainly took place in 1928. In 1930 The Lancashire Evening Post dated 12 May reported that a syndicate of Manchester business men had formed a syndicate to acquire Blackpool Speedway at Highfield Road, Squires Gate with the intention of commencing racing at the end of the month.

The Highfield Road Sports Ground, Blackpool, was listed for sale by auction at the Royal Hotel on 2nd October 1929. The grounds were described as being laid out at enormous expense and forming one of the finest Dirt Tracks in the country, suitable in every way for Motor Cycle Racing and other Sports, the ground having been passed by the A.C.U. The grounds were also indicated to be suitable for building purposes, possibly for redevelopment as a garden city. Perhaps the Manchester syndicate who proposed to re-open the track in 1930 had purchased at the auction.

Edited by BL65

The Highfield Road Sports Ground, Blackpool, was listed for sale by auction at the Royal Hotel on 2nd October 1929. The grounds were described as being laid out at enormous expense and forming one of the finest Dirt Tracks in the country, suitable in every way for Motor Cycle Racing and other Sports, the ground having been passed by the A.C.U. The grounds were also indicated to be suitable for building purposes, possibly for redevelopment as a garden city. Perhaps the Manchester syndicate who proposed to re-open the track in 1930 had purchased at the auction.

Yes, I seem to remember reading about that and how it was planned to join the Northern League, which of course never happened.

Offhand, I think that one of the pioneer era riders at Blackpool 1928-30 may have been Sam Marsland. In pre-WW2 seasons he was active at several tracks among them Newcastle and Workington and in the early post-war period 1946-49 had trial outings at West Ham and Wimbledon, and also rode for Wombwell in 1947.

Edited by Guest