British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

The Three Best / Worst - Memories You Have About Speedway.

I wondered what other forum members had as there three best/worst memories in speedway.?.WORST-1. Briggs not winning the 1972 World Final. 2.Tommy Jansson being killed in 1976.3.Malcolm Holloway being eliminated in the 1982 British Final .BEST. 1..Malcolm Holloway qualifying through the 1982 Birmingham semi final qualifying round. 2.Michael Lee defeating Kenny Carter in the Golden helmet at the shay 2.0 in 1983 ( he won 4.0 on aggregate) 3.Tomasz Gollob beating Jimmy Nilsen in that epic GP race pure class.

• Like 1

:::: MY WORST

(1) The weekend in 1947 when 'Bronco' Wilson and Cyril Anderson died in separate accidents.

(2) New Cross' closure in June 1953.

(3) The end of speedway in London in 2005 when Wimbledon lost their tenancy at Wimbledon Stadium.

:::: MY BEST

(1) The dominance of Sweden's Ove Fundin in the world championship in the 1950s and 1960s.

(2) The return of American star Wilbur Lamreaux as a Wembley rider in 1948 after he had been absent from UK racing since September 1939.

(3) Watching Southern Area League speedway between 1954 and 1956.

Best

1. 1st Aug 1961 when my parents took me to my first meeting, Yarmouth v Norwich ‘B’. Hooked ever since.

2. Young England v Young Czechoslovakia at Romford 1970. Best meeting ever seen. The Czechs certainly weren’t afraid of the concrete safety fence.

3. Re-birth of Wembley Lions in 1970. Even the London Evening News brought out a special edition to mark the occasion. Over 30,000 in attendance.

Worst

1. As a Wimbledon supporter at the time I agree with Sidney re hearing of Tommy Jansson’s death. It was the beginning of the end for the Dons.

2. Closure of speedway at Romford in 1971.

3. The loss of so many famous stadiums to re-development.

Best...West Ham doing the treble in 1965

Bjorn Knutsson winning the World Championship in 1965

Stan Stevens holding off Barry Briggs for 4 laps at Custom House

Worst...The Lokeren Tragedy

Dave wills' fatal crash at Custom House

Tadeusz Teodorowicz's ultimately fatal crash at Custom House

Best - Glasgow beating Cradley Heath in the 1992 inter league cup .

Glasgow clinching the 2nd division championship in 1993 , first time it had ever happened

Robert Nagy winning the division 2 riders championship , again first time a Glasgow rider had done that

The Shawfield era of the early nineties was Glasgow's golden age

Worst - Svein Kaasa being killed at Hampden in 1972

Glasgow having to ride home meetings at Workington in 1987

Glasgow dropping down a league for the 1974 season and losing McMillan and Beaton as a consequence

Best - Glasgow beating Cradley Heath in the 1992 inter league cup .

Glasgow clinching the 2nd division championship in 1993 , first time it had ever happened

Robert Nagy winning the division 2 riders championship , again first time a Glasgow rider had done that

The Shawfield era of the early nineties was Glasgow's golden age

Worst - Svein Kaasa being killed at Hampden in 1972

Glasgow having to ride home meetings at Workington in 1987

Glasgow dropping down a league for the 1974 season and losing McMillan and Beaton as a consequence

Did Svein (bless him) crash with Martin Ashby Paulco.?

My worst moments:

i) The closure of Sunderland Speedway in 1964.

ii) The closure of Sunderland Speedway in 1974.

iii) Briggo failing to win the 1972 World Final - I was there and it ruined my trip home.

As you can see - Sunderland has not been a very lucky place for us Speedway Fans.

Best. Mark Loram becoming world champion.

Hackney doing the double in 88.

Having the privilege of watching Barry Thomas every Friday.

Worst. Vic Harding being killed and Steve Weatherley getting badly injured.

Paul Muchene being killed, (thankfully I wasn't there the night of Denny Pyeatt's fatal crash.)

Hackney closing midway through the 91 season.

My worst moments:

i) The closure of Sunderland Speedway in 1964.

ii) The closure of Sunderland Speedway in 1974.

iii) Briggo failing to win the 1972 World Final - I was there and it ruined my trip home.

As you can see - Sunderland has not been a very lucky place for us Speedway Fans.

Briggo beating Mauger really put him in the driving seat i am convinced he would of won it 14 points i recon even though Ole was flying that night.I would of give anything for Barry to have equalled the GREAT Fundin's record the one that got away eh.!!

Best - speedway returning to St Austell in 1958, Plymouth in 1959 and Exeter in 1960.

Worst - the end of speedway at Par Moor in 1963, Pennycross in 1970 and the County Ground in 2005.

Briggo beating Mauger really put him in the driving seat i am convinced he would of won it 14 points i recon even though Ole was flying that night.I would of give anything for Barry to have equalled the GREAT Fundin's record the one that got away eh.!!

Yes Sid - once he had beaten Mauger I thought - that's it. He looked really good and so fast.

I will never forgive Persson for that.

Did Svein (bless him) crash with Martin Ashby Paulco.?

Yes he clipped Ashby's back wheel . Ashby totally blameless

Best

1. Seeing West Ham beat Wimbledon away in the KO Cup, 14 August 1965. The day Malcolm Simmons became a star.

2. Being at Cradley to see West Ham complete the treble in 1965.

3. Seeing Ove Fundin win the 1967 World Final as I had taken along some college chums from Norwich, who had never been to speedway before, on the (dubious) promise that Ove would win.

Worst

1. The Lokeren Disaster

2. Seeing Tadeusz Teodorowicz's fatal crash

3. New Cross closing in 1963

• Like 1

Three best:-

1. The day I came back from a holiday to learn that PC had become world champion. I was 9. He was my first hero.

2. Havvy winning the world title in 1992 & I was there to see it. He was my latter day hero

3. My beloved Exeter winning the PL title at Workington in 2000

Three worst:-

1. Witnessing Tony Sanford losing his life at Exeter. It happened right in front of where I used to stand

2. Exeter speedway closing down

3. Any rider losing his life as a result of a track crash

Three worst:

1. Hyde rd closing

2. Darcy's career ending injuries

3. Nz gp discontinued after 3 seasons

Best:

1. Aces win the bl in 1982

2. Speedway gp comes to nz 2012-2014

3. PC and mort win the world pairs in 1984.

• Like 1