British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

I am researching on the 2002 Wimbledon Speedway revival. I especially need to know who the group involved in the initial venture? I have cross checked my "filing system" but the only name that is prominent in the venture is Steve Ribbons?

Was Ian Perkin also involved at this stage? And who were the other in the group? I recall attending a pre-opening public meeting at the stadium late in 2001 when the prospective promoting group was introduced to the general public who were in attendance.

Offhand it's hard to get to grips with the fact that this revival was now some 16 years ago!

Edited by Guest

I believe 'Dingle' Brown was one of those involved gustix.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if he was in the group putting up any mone,but i remember in one of the first pieces in the press that Bert Harkins seemed to be involved.Maybe just as a figurehead?Remember my parents sending me over a clipping from a local newspaper

I believe it was # Name Removed # and Steve Ribbons who were behind the venture to revive the Dons. For some reason, September 2001 rings a bell for the initial meeting to publicise things which was held in the now sadly closed Main Grandstand.

Without the sterling efforts of Arthur Devereux, then Assistant Manager at Wimbledon Stadium it's unlikely that speedway would ever have returned to Plough Lane.

When things went sadly awry in May 2002, a new consortium was formed. They were responsible for financing the new circuit that was built inside the stock car track.

It's hard to believe that it was 15 years ago...

I believe it was # Name Removed # and Steve Ribbons who were behind the venture to revive the Dons. For some reason, September 2001 rings a bell for the initial meeting to publicise things which was held in the now sadly closed Main Grandstand.

Without the sterling efforts of Arthur Devereux, then Assistant Manager at Wimbledon Stadium it's unlikely that speedway would ever have returned to Plough Lane.

When things went sadly awry in May 2002, a new consortium was formed. They were responsible for financing the new circuit that was built inside the stock car track.

It's hard to believe that it was 15 years ago...

Excellent update prodons. May 2002 would have been I seem to recall when Ian Perkin emerged as the main promoter, then Dingle Brown came on the scene? Or was Dingle preceded by another person for a while in the team manager 's role?

I see from your Post that we have the mystery +Name Removed+ however as one of the initial promoting team?

Edited by Guest

Not really sure why my post was edited but moving on. Russell Paine was initially appointed Team Manager upon the resumption on the new circuit in July 2002 with Dingle coming on board as track curator. Upon Russell's resignation, Dingle took over the reins as Team Manager and continued in this role until the final closure in 2005.

Not really sure why my post was edited but moving on

It is an automatic edit,done by the forum when you post that name :P Nothing personal.It happens to anyone who tries to post it

I can confirm prodons' post about the the two individuals being the driving force behind the revival...

Thanks Iris123

Dare I ask why...?

It's mentioned on another thread; some legal issue...

Steve

Edited by chunky

I believe it was # Name Removed # and Steve Ribbons who were behind the venture to revive the Dons.

I see from your Post that we have the mystery +Name Removed+ however as one of the initial promoting team?

Not really sure why my post was edited

It is an automatic edit,done by the forum when you post that name :P Nothing personal.It happens to anyone who tries to post it

Dare I ask why...?

It's mentioned on another thread; some legal issue...

The +Name Removed+ unfortunately affects not only that person but also anyone else with the same surname. Watch this happen: the person who was one of the original promoters with Steve Ribbons was # Name Removed # who was the son of the former Southampton captain and team manager Bert # Name Removed #.

But in relation to another banned person from some years ago - the 'notorious speedy guy' - that name still appears!

​Away from all that: more please on the circumstances in regard to the 2002 reopening of Wimbledon speedway and the initial problems of the early days and how they were effectively overcome to bring the bikes back to Plough Lane for an extremely enjoyable four year period.

Edited by Guest

It was definitely Dave Cro ucher and Steve Ribbons who were behind the Wimbledon revival. They commissioned my book "Two Wimbldeon Legends" to launch on opening night. I offered to do it for nothing as long as they paid the printing costs, which they agreed. When I gave them the invoice from the printers, they both said I should speak to the other one about it and both denied ever making the agreement. In fact they both made it as I met both of them to talk about it. It took me over a year and various threats of legal action to get anything out of them and even then it only amounted to some of the cash and a number of complimentary copies of the book. Oh yes, it was those two all right. I'm not likely to forget it!

It was definitely Dave Cro ucher and Steve Ribbons who were behind the Wimbledon revival. They commissioned my book "Two Wimbldeon Legends" to launch on opening night. I offered to do it for nothing as long as they paid the printing costs, which they agreed. When I gave them the invoice from the printers, they both said I should speak to the other one about it and both denied ever making the agreement. In fact they both made it as I met both of them to talk about it. It took me over a year and various threats of legal action to get anything out of them and even then it only amounted to some of the cash and a number of complimentary copies of the book. Oh yes, it was those two all right. I'm not likely to forget it!

That was a bit naughty norbold. :nono: :nono:

You should have chucked them down your famous hole. :t:

• Like 1

A bit off course but an amusing thought. If I was a potential new member and my name was - let's say - Fred Cro ucher. How could I register on the BSF if I went on for a membership in my real name. I would key it in but presumably would face this after placing the Fred # Name Removed # name?

Edited by Guest