British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

I believe it was # Name Removed # and Steve Ribbons who were behind the venture to revive the Dons. For some reason, September 2001 rings a bell for the initial meeting to publicise things which was held in the now sadly closed Main Grandstand.

I now have a memory from that 'introductory meeting' in September 2001 and how I upset embryo co-promoter Steve Ribbons at it. He asked if anyone present had a question. I stood up, identified who I was, then asked: "What do you regard as a break even attendance for meetings?"

It was a question that appeared to upset/annoy Ribbons, who avoided making an answer and switched the question-answer session on to a new theme. The other two on the main table, # Name Removed # and Arthur Devereaux did not become involved either for some reason.

Edited by Guest

This is just a test on the blocked name for David # Name Removed # currently in effect on this forum. This is a Link for an old-time speedway rider who has part of the surname. He is from 1947 and rode for Cradley Heath and has a Link from the A-Z of speedway riders. His name is Stan Crouch. The Link to his A-Z inclusion is at:

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/pdfs/crouch%20stan.pdf

Let's see what happens... :unsure:

:::: RETURN VISIT: Stan Crouch name is OK. Not so for # Name Removed #. When I Post again the removal will slip itself into gear. Only puzzle - sometimes the block removes that person's full name - other times just the surname?

Edited by Guest

I have just received my copy of 'Classic Speedway.' To my surprise there is an article in it detailing all the planned happenings for Sunday, March 12 - answers to most of the questions that people have been asking for weeks on here and other groups!

Edited by Guest

I have just received my copy of 'Classic Speedway.' To my surprise there is an article in it detailing all the planned happenings for Sunday, March 12 - answers to most of the questions that people have been asking for weeks on here and other groups!

Mine arrived today too gustix - I noticed the Wimbledon bit.

I haven't read it yet though.

Mine arrived today too gustix - I noticed the Wimbledon bit.

I haven't read it yet though.

My criticism is not directed at 'Classic Speedway' for publishing their update for March 12. I am annoyed to think that I have been dealing with the organiser of the event for some weeks on here and elsewhere in answer to requests from Dons' fans for an update on what is scheduled and have been ignored. This when, in point of fact, from what I now read, the organisation for the March 12 Wimbledon Reunion is in an advanced stage.

Sunday, March 12, 2017. This is not a pay in advance event - just get there nice and early!!!

Edited by Guest

::: FORWARDED MESSAGE sent by Bert Harkins ==== Jon Stevens and The Dons Den will be exhibiting at the Celebration of Speedway at Paradise Wildlife Park on Sunday 26th February so come along all you Dons' fans and find out what is happening at the Farewell Reunion. Paradise is signposted from Junction 25 of the M25 and is easy to find. Free car parking, BBQ,Rider interviews, Unsilenced bikes started up on the hour every hour, Win 2 tickets for the Cardiff GP, it is all happening on 26th, so "Come On Down"!

As I recall, on the re-opening night, the track was laid on top of the stock-car track and the plan of the promoters was to 'lift and lay' the shale for every meeting. One problem was that the track shape was far from ideal and coupled with the wet weather, the racing was, shall we say, not for the purist. The initial track record was 90 seconds in heat one though by the time of the abandonment it was in the 60s. The next scheduled meeting was postponed as the saturated shale had not dried in time and fairly quickly the bends were widened to produce better racing. The problem then was that the inner curbs of the stock car track were in the middle of the track, which was considered a safety risk and the new promotion was ordered to build a new track completely inside the stock car circuit. Given the succession of difficulties that were faced I was impressed that the promotion survived as long as it did. I must stress these are the recollections of a terrace fan and not an insider so I hope they are accurate.

As I recall, on the re-opening night, the track was laid on top of the stock-car track and the plan of the promoters was to 'lift and lay' the shale for every meeting. One problem was that the track shape was far from ideal and coupled with the wet weather, the racing was, shall we say, not for the purist. The initial track record was 90 seconds in heat one though by the time of the abandonment it was in the 60s. The next scheduled meeting was postponed as the saturated shale had not dried in time and fairly quickly the bends were widened to produce better racing. The problem then was that the inner curbs of the stock car track were in the middle of the track, which was considered a safety risk and the new promotion was ordered to build a new track completely inside the stock car circuit. Given the succession of difficulties that were faced I was impressed that the promotion survived as long as it did. I must stress these are the recollections of a terrace fan and not an insider so I hope they are accurate.

​That's the basis as I recall of the initial efforts to re-establish speedway at Wimbledon in 2002. I think that its salvation at the time was only when that extremely dedicated person Ian Perkin emerged on the promotional scene. Then things started to take on an excellent trend - all thwarted in 2005 by the actions of the GRA.

There was a day long ago when i think 20,000 were left outside the stadium on a speedway night as the stadium was full.Now i doubt if the meeting on the 5th March 2017 will even have half of that 20,000 inside the stadium?

I cannot remember from when, in the days when there was speedway at Wimbledon, this happened:

Edited by iris123

An all speedway goodbye event would indeed have been a nice idea. But who would have financed and staffed such a venture - and how many people would have turned up anyway?

From the various images that have been placed in regard to the Sunday, March 12 event, some rider names have been listed as likely to attend.

Sadly, so far the organiser has not yet issued a detailed background as to what is schemed - apart from the image adverts. For my part I would like to see something specific very soon in this respect.

I cannot remember from when, in the days when there was speedway at Wimbledon, this happened:

17022297_1074151432691180_89128263339008

Sadly - as far as I can see - Speedway doesn't even rate a mention in this latest Poster.

Sadly - as far as I can see - Speedway doesn't even rate a mention in this latest Poster.

​That's correct. It's just to indicate that overall there is a demand for motor sport in London. This one is at the capital's LAST remaining circuit - on its way to closure in just a few weeks time. But still able to attract a sell out crowd for a motor sport event - albeit not an over large sell out crowd.

​That's correct. It's just to indicate that overall there is a demand for motor sport in London. This one is at the capital's LAST remaining circuit - on its way to closure in just a few weeks time. But still able to attract a sell out crowd for a motor sport event - albeit not an over large sell out crowd.

Cheers for that gustix. :t:

gustix - I always thought that Speedway was a huge part of Wimbledon's History. It doesn't get a mention in the latest Posters, or on the brief write up.

Plenty about the so called Stox but nothing regarding Speedway.

A question - were Stox (or whatever they are called) more popular at Wimbledon than Wimbledon 'Dons'?

With the likes of Briggo, Ronnie Moore, Tommy Jansson, Cyril Maidment, Wilbur Lamoreoux, Norman Parker et al. I can't believe that 'Stox' was better supported than Speedway.