British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

Now the stadium is finally closing, it's sad to think that had things gone differently at the end of 2005 we could potentially have had 11 more seasons of speedway at Plough Lane - in which case the stadium owners would have collected something like a further £600,000 (gross figure and my estimate based on figures reported at the time) in rental payments. And yet they chose instead to keep the facility idle for most of the week.

• Like 1

Now the stadium is finally closing, it's sad to think that had things gone differently at the end of 2005 we could potentially have had 11 more seasons of speedway at Plough Lane - in which case the stadium owners would have collected something like a further £600,000 (gross figure and my estimate based on figures reported at the time) in rental payments. And yet they chose instead to keep the facility idle for most of the week.

I guess a bit like the Oxford scenario...a stadium remaining idle due to the pig headedness of the owners!

I guess a bit like the Oxford scenario...a stadium remaining idle due to the pig headedness of the owners!

​Not quite! There has been both greyhound and car racing at Wimbledon Stadium since speedway exited in 2005. The greyhounds and car racing however do call a halt at the end of the month.

https://www.lovethedogs.co.uk/wimbledon/contact-us/race-meetings/

...and for car racing this is the Spedeworth Motorsports finale:

March 26/ 3 - 5.30pm

Wimbledon

FAREWELL WIMBLEDON

1300cc Stock Cars

London Championship

& Motor Parts Direct Super Series Round

National Hot Rods

London Championship

& 2016/17 World Qualifying Round 9

Old Skool Superstox

Superstox

Safari Land Rover Engineering Challenge Series Round 3

Advanced Ticket Only Event

Don't Miss The Last Ever Meeting

At The Plough Lane Venue

Edited by Guest

The Wikipedia view on Wimbledon Stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_Stadium

How Wikipedia explains the reason for the end of speedway at Wimbledon Stadium:

"Having been defunct for eleven years, the team were then reopened again in 2002 but were finally disbanded completely in 2005 as a result of the dispute between the team's promoters and the owners of the stadium, the Greyhound Racing Association, over a proposed large rent increase.["

Edited by Guest

Very touching statement from Peter Johns

Have been reflecting on my last visit to Plough Lane yesterday, ok the stadium had faded from the lovely place that it was in 'the good old days'. What part of the stadium that was still in use, the cheaper seats back in the day, was still better than the majority of speedway venues that are running now. One part of the show that hadn't declined was the crystal clear PA system and the enthusiasm of the presenter and the stadium lights dimming down before each race, I think that adds to the show. Wimbledon Stadium is where I grew up, first visit 49 years ago when I was 6. At that time I thought all speedway venues would be like this! Found out in time that was not the case! I was lucky to live less than 10 miles from this fantastic venue and then had the privilege to race for the Dons. Too many great memories from this stadium, possibly the best was a England v USA test match closely followed bySimmo riding in a Golden Helmet match race, which was a big deal then, with a broken left wrist, with his clutch lever on the right hand side of the bars! Watching my brother ride there for 17 years. So many.... thank you Jon Stevens for the invite
  • Like 1

The Wikipedia view on Wimbledon Stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_Stadium

How Wikipedia explains the reason for the end of speedway at Wimbledon Stadium:

"Having been defunct for eleven years, the team were then reopened again in 2002 but were finally disbanded completely in 2005 as a result of the dispute between the team's promoters and the owners of the stadium, the Greyhound Racing Association, over a proposed large rent increase.["

If as Wikipedia quotes the reason for the end of speedway at Wimbledon Stadium in 2005 followed a proposed large rent increase, how did the car racing promoters Spedeworth Motorsport manage to stage regular racing for 55 consecutive seasons from 1962 until this year?

And they are only going from Wimbledon because of the deal that will see massive changes there to accommodate the football needs of AFC Wimbledon.

While no information is available, it is obvious that over the years Spedeworth Motorsportt must also have faced rent increases imposed by the stadium owners. Yet - and I have been following the car race activities at Plough Lane for many years - I cannot recall any protests being made by the car promoters in regard to rent charges being increased.This has resulted in a record unbroken promotional 55 years for car promotion at Plough Lane.

How then did Spedeworth manage to survive at Wimbledon when speedway has twice failed at the venue - originally in 1991, then again in 2005?

If as Wikipedia quotes the reason for the end of speedway at Wimbledon Stadium in 2005 followed a proposed large rent increase, how did the car racing promoters Spedeworth Motorsport manage to stage regular racing for 55 consecutive seasons from 1962 until this year?

And they are only going from Wimbledon because of the deal that will see massive changes there to accommodate the football needs of AFC Wimbledon.

While no information is available, it is obvious that over the years Spedeworth Motorsportt must also have faced rent increases imposed by the stadium owners. Yet - and I have been following the car race activities at Plough Lane for many years - I cannot recall any protests being made by the car promoters in regard to rent charges being increased.This has resulted in a record unbroken promotional 55 years for car promotion at Plough Lane.

How then did Spedeworth manage to survive at Wimbledon when speedway has twice failed at the venue - originally in 1991, then again in 2005?

Aren't these questions that should be asked of your Hot Rod friends on the Hot Rod forum?

Anyway,i think the end of the Dons was dealt with quite thoroughly on another thread.Was it the one you were arguing with your mate Parsloes for weeks and months on end?

In 2005, the GRA would have been hoping to sell the stadium very quickly for redevelopment. My guess is the other tenants of the stadium, not being involved in a league structure, could be evicted quickly whereas the speedway, needing to run for a whole season, couldn't. I suspect the rental demands on the Dons were much greater so as to provoke a breach.

In 2005, the GRA would have been hoping to sell the stadium very quickly for redevelopment. My guess is the other tenants of the stadium, not being involved in a league structure, could be evicted quickly whereas the speedway, needing to run for a whole season, couldn't. I suspect the rental demands on the Dons were much greater so as to provoke a breach.

You completely misjudge the tenancy factors in regard to Spedeworth Motorsport. They do not/did not book the stadium on a meeting-to-meeting basis. At the least their tenancy would have been, as with the speedway, on a seasonal basis. Many of their promotions at Plough Lane fitted in with schedules for various national championships for certain formulas.

And, as a nationwide promoting group, they make their promotional plans well in advance. Alongside their one time 'co-tenants' at Plough Lane, the speedway promoters appear to have been rather 'small fry' at Wimbledon Stadium. I suggest a look at the various Links in Spedeworth's masthead may be of interest.

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/index2.php

Edited by Guest

Anyway,i think the end of the Dons was dealt with quite thoroughly on another thread.Was it the one you were arguing with your mate Parsloes for weeks and months on end?

I always enjoyed those old debates about Wimbledon's 2005 departure from the Stadium with Parsloes 1928 nearly. There was never any animosity between us - an usual occurrence sadly on the BSF these days. We argued and debated over Wimbledon's departure/eviction but never fell out.

I am still in regular contact with P1928 and - dare I make this an open fact? - in recent months he has become a regular visitor to Wimbledon for car racing and says his favourites are the Hot Rods - and even a bangers 'Destruction Derby'!

Edited by Guest

I can be bothered john. I saw my first speedway at Wimbledon in September 1968, I ended up attending over 700 meetings at plough lane. I worked at the stadium for 22 years on the speedway, stock car and greyhound racing sides of the business. I carried out a multitude of tasks including track preparation, winter training schools and on the odd occasion team manager. I have not attended any of the recent farewell events, I prefer to remember the place as it once was. A magnificent stadium, not the run down eye sore it has now become. I drive past the old place every day on my way to work, when the bulldozers move in that's when it will hit me. RIP Wimbledon stadium, it's been grand to know you.

• Like 3