British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Skegness 1997 And 1998

Guest compost

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with details of the fixtures that did't happen due to the closure of Skegness in either or both of the above seasons ?

I know that in '97 the fixtures were taken over by the Isle of Wight and in '98 by King's Lynn (as the Norfolk Braves) but what I'm after is details of the fixtures that Skegness (as Skegness) didn't fulfill.

Many thanks

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with details of the fixtures that did't happen due to the closure of Skegness in either or both of the above seasons ?

I know that in '97 the fixtures were taken over by the Isle of Wight and in '98 by King's Lynn (as the Norfolk Braves) but what I'm after is details of the fixtures that Skegness (as Skegness) didn't fulfill.

Many thanks

Sorry Compost, not sure what you mean. Are you after the scheduled Skegness fixtures ridden as the IOW and Kings Lynn? If so the easy answer is most of them. Skegness only survived a matter of weeks in both seasons, In the first year in the Premier League due to very poor crowds, and as a Conference League team the following season due to disagreements with the stadium owners.

Edited by HertsRacer

Guest compost

Sorry Compost, not sure what you mean. Are you after the scheduled Skegness fixtures ridden as the IOW and Kings Lynn? If so the easy answer is most of them. Skegness only survived a matter of weeks in both seasons, In the first year in the Premier League due to very poor crowds, and as a Conference League team the following season due to disagreements with the stadium owners.

Hello HertsRacer,

What I am after is details of the meetings that would have been held had Skeggie not closed (I have a complete set of Speedway Stars for '97 and '98 so am okay for what the IoW and KL did after taking over their fixtures).

If possible a scan of one of the Skegness programmes showing upcoming fixtures would be ideal.

I am trying to produce a record of all the matches held in Britain each year. I see no difference between the cancelled ones that Skegness should have raced (but never did) and, say, any rain off or other postponement. The Skegness fixture list would have had a different order plus different dates (probably) to what happened with the IoW and KL.

Hope that clarifies the issue (it is what I was asking about re Middlesbrough as well - what didn't they do that was advertised ?)

I went to Skegness in 1997 for a double header against oxford and reading which was rained off before start time. Luckily for me I returned a couple of weeks later for what turned out to be the last meeting at PL level v arena essex. From memory it was a decent shaped track in a pretty sparse stadium. The crowd was no more than 200, which was not surprising considering the rural location and the Thursday race night.

I went for the re-opening meeting in 1998 (don't think I still have the programme, sorry Compost) which unfortunately was held up as there was some issue with the fence, and the SCB official (David Hughes I think) eventually gave the go ahead. The thing I remember most about it is that it was Olly Allen's debut just before his 16th birthday and he rode brilliantly.

Guest compost

Many thanks Nodlew that was what I was after.

Hi,

Many thanks

I was in the last fixture in 97 at Skegness ,it was Skegness v long Eaton , we got there unloaded bikes in pits and then there was a massive thunderstorm and the place was flooded about an hour before the start so the meeting never took place , I believe they moved to another track the next week Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE