British Speedway Forum
Guest compost

Where Would You Want To See A Speedway Track

It'll only get closed down as soon as it opens!

Sadly norbold - you are probably right.

That's the point with Sunderland and Speedway Promoters

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

That's my top five anyway. :blink:

I reckon that makes my thoughts on this Thread fairly clear. :)

It'll only get closed down as soon as it opens!

Sadly norbold - you are probably right.

That's the point with Sunderland and Speedway Promoters

​Some wonderful memories of the times when there was a speedway in Sunderland.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Sunderland.htm

​Some wonderful memories of the times when there was a speedway in Sunderland.

Or - if you would like a follow up to the above superb Site run by John Skinner you could get additional information here:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/

I have no idea who has put this Site back on line as we closed it down - but - it mysteriously re-appeared.

The original builder of the Site was Madweb Design's Tim Allan.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

SUNDERLAND.

That's my top five anyway. :blink:

I reckon that makes my thoughts on this Thread fairly clear. :)

I'll go for that. Followed the Stars for two years after they reopened in the 70's (except when Romford were the visitors of course) when I was at college there.

• Like 1

I'll go for that. Followed the Stars for two years after they reopened in the 70's (except when Romford were the visitors of course) when I was at college there.

You are a top man Sir. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I well remember Ross Gilbertson at Sunderland with the 'Bombers'.

You are a top man Sir. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I well remember Ross Gilbertson at Sunderland with the 'Bombers'.

Went back to Sunderland for the first time in 45 years recently. Didn't recognise any of the town now. Drove out to the stadium and didn't recognise that either. Trying to remember what it used to look like. Remember the main stand, wasn't there a wooden stand on the other side?

Went back to Sunderland for the first time in 45 years recently. Didn't recognise any of the town now. Drove out to the stadium and didn't recognise that either. Trying to remember what it used to look like. Remember the main stand, wasn't there a wooden stand on the other side?

There was indeed - that was pulled down years ago when they enlarged the Dog Track.

The Main Stand is nowadays very plush - not like it was when you and I went. The seating upstairs was OK but you could never call it plush.

For your interest:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/

and

I hope this brings back some happy memories for you.

• Like 1

My five are

1. ROMFORD - The decline in speedway started the day they closed.

2 SUNDERLAND - See above.

And for purely selfish reasons, three sites within a quarter of an hours drive from me which speedway has been considered in the past

3. WELWYN GARDEN CITY - Even got as far as doing noise tests at the Gosling Stadium in the early 70's.

4 HENLOW - Mentioned as a possible early member of the Conference League

5 BYGRAVE - Old Banger Racing Circuit. Considered to small for speedway.

• Like 1

Got to have a track in Penge,so gustix can make it without too much bovver

A speedway track in Penge, London, SE20 - it can never happen there. The actually Penge area is housing and shops. The nearest possible venue is about half mile away at Crystal Palace park, where the now not used athletics track is based. That was the site of the old speedway and midget car track that was operational between 1928 and 1940. And of course the Palace was from around 1937 until 1972 where big circuit motorcycle and car racing took place.

But any hopes of motorsport of any sort taking place in the future can be ruled out. Local residents have been backed by Bromley Council with an effective ban on noise from motorsport for the Palace.

However, the fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times. So no worry about a creating local track to suit me. There is no chance as a previous poster suggested about there being a track for my convenience in Penge.

Edited by Guest

1. Oxford. Perfectly good stadium lying unused whilst greedy venture capitalists hope to cash in. Hope for once the good guys win and we get Speedway back at Cowley.

2. Sunderland. The new owners wish to maximise use of their new facility.

3. Cradley. Someone, somewhere finds the land in the cultural and sporting desert that is Dudley to allow the Heathens home.

4. Bristol. Long since campaigned for, all seems to have gone quiet. However, hope springs eternal that the stars align and the city gets a track back along with the crowds Eastville enjoyed in the late 70's

5. Ballyskeagh. Greyhound track between Belfast and Lisburn, now known as Drumbo Park. An entrepreneur with deep pockets sees the crowds that the Belfast Giants attract in Ice Hockey's Elite League and decide that the great road racing culture in Northern Ireland would support a new motorcycle venture in massive numbers. And it's only down the road from me.

1) Bristol - maybe they could build it near Cribbs Causeway - difficult to complain about the noise with the shopping mall and motorway nearby

2) Newport

3) Oxford

4) Reading

5) Crayford - purely sentimental reasons but sadly it'll be a cold day in hell before that would be remotely possible

1 California - just down the road from me

2 Brandon - the need is immediate and speedway can not afford to lose existing clubs

3 Oxford - a perfectly good stadium going to waste

4 Wimbledon - or any track in London which would be important for sport's profile

5 Cradley - so we can revive the Dudley/Wolves Trophy

Okay, this is meant to be fun, so...

1) Three Cocks, Powys

2) Ugley, Essex

3) Titty Hill, Sussex

4) Willey, Warks

Just trying to work out what the team nicknames of these would be? No 4 could be the "Warmers", and No 2 could obviously be the Ugley "F...ers:...

5) Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Gwynedd

Forget the team name, I'd love to hear a warcry; "Give us an L..." !!!

Steve

PS The forum wouldn't let me use one real place name in Dorset...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Guest compost

Okay lesson learned.

I was interested in seeing where people would like to see the sport (re-) appear so it wasn't a purely come up with anything funny idea.

BTW White Knight saying Sunderland 5 times unfortunately only counts once (say in 5th place - just kidding, 4th).

I did suggest the new-ish Spedeworth track at Aldershot a couple of years back as with Reading gone and a bone-a-fide motor racing facility that wasn't too far away I thought there might be a chance that a 2nd or 3rd Division outfit could do well but in the current economic and social climates there will be no chance. And to think that when we closed at the end of 1952 we were promised 'proper' League racing again. Sad.

Many thanks for the replies though.

Forgot to add that Bristol seems the most popular missed venue. Surprised no one has mentioned Norwich (or have I missed that one ?)

Edited by compost