Where Would You Want To See A Speedway Track

Weymouth

Southampton

Reading

Oxford

White City London. I loved that place.

• Like 1

Okay lesson learned.

I was interested in seeing where people would like to see the sport (re-) appear so it wasn't a purely come up with anything funny idea.

BTW White Knight saying Sunderland 5 times unfortunately only counts once (say in 5th place - just kidding, 4th).

I did suggest the new-ish Spedeworth track at Aldershot a couple of years back as with Reading gone and a bone-a-fide motor racing facility that wasn't too far away I thought there might be a chance that a 2nd or 3rd Division outfit could do well but in the current economic and social climates there will be no chance. And to think that when we closed at the end of 1952 we were promised 'proper' League racing again. Sad.

Many thanks for the replies though.

Forgot to add that Bristol seems the most popular missed venue. Surprised no one has mentioned Norwich (or have I missed that one ?)

Shame that compost. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did try. :)

OK OK I know this is supposed to be about the UK-but I would like to see tracks reopen in Welland, Paris and Dundas -all in Ontario.

In all seriousness, I don't really care WHERE tracks appear or reappear - as long as they do.

Aside from geographical specifics, there are two things I would love to see. Firstly, to see tracks re-emerging in urban areas, and not being forced out into the country away from potential spectators. However, with the modern-day NIMBY population, I can't see that happening.

Secondly, as much as I am a small-track fan (Plough Lane was my track, obviously), I would love to see some BIG tracks out there. It was the variety that made speedway so special, and I do long for the old Belle Vue, Halifax, and of course, Exeter. Oh, and West Ham. If we could just get some tracks like that again...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Okay lesson learned.

I was interested in seeing where people would like to see the sport (re-) appear so it wasn't a purely come up with anything funny idea.

BTW White Knight saying Sunderland 5 times unfortunately only counts once (say in 5th place - just kidding, 4th).

I did suggest the new-ish Spedeworth track at Aldershot a couple of years back as with Reading gone and a bone-a-fide motor racing facility that wasn't too far away I thought there might be a chance that a 2nd or 3rd Division outfit could do well but in the current economic and social climates there will be no chance. And to think that when we closed at the end of 1952 we were promised 'proper' League racing again. Sad.

Many thanks for the replies though.

Forgot to add that Bristol seems the most popular missed venue. Surprised no one has mentioned Norwich (or have I missed that one ?)

See my post re Norwich

Got to have a track in Penge,so gustix can make it without too much bovver

1. Oxford

2. York

3. Liverpool

4. Any location in London

5. Norwich

A speedway track in Penge, London, SE20 - it can never happen there. The actually Penge area is housing and shops. The nearest possible venue is about half mile away at Crystal Palace park, where the now not used athletics track is based. That was the site of the old speedway and midget car track that was operational between 1928 and 1940. And of course the Palace was from around 1937 until 1972 where big circuit motorcycle and car racing took place.

But any hopes of motorsport of any sort taking place in the future can be ruled out. Local residents have been backed by Bromley Council with an effective ban on noise from motorsport for the Palace.

However, the fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times. So no worry about a creating local track to suit me. There is no chance as a previous poster suggested about there being a track for my convenience in Penge.

1 California - just down the road from me

2 Brandon - the need is immediate and speedway can not afford to lose existing clubs

3 Oxford - a perfectly good stadium going to waste

4 Wimbledon - or any track in London which would be important for sport

Yes, a track anywhere in London would be welcome BUT NOT IN THE PENGE/CRYSTAL PALACE AREA!

Swindon Speedway Car Park.

• Like 1

OK OK I know this is supposed to be about the UK-but I would like to see tracks reopen in Welland, Paris and Dundas -all in Ontario.

Speedway has really fallen away in Canada in the past three or four years whereas from what I see on FACEBOOK flat track racing is thriving? What is it that flat track offers which is not applicable to Canadian speedway?

Edited by Guest

Guest compost

See my post re Norwich

My apologies customhouseregular.

I think chunky's post number 33 is spot on. It's been a really depressing closed season with no new track rumours just closure ones.

The fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times.

Anywhere in London or Surrey, where I live now.

Slough??? :shock:;)