British Speedway Forum
Guest compost

Where Would You Want To See A Speedway Track

Anywhere in London or Surrey, where I live now.

Slough??? :shock:;)

Slough is in Berkshire! :lol:

The fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times.

Glad we have finally got that cleared up ,so we know it has nothing to do with London Buses or not having any friends who will take you there :icon_smile_clown::rofl:

I understand your point of view gustix- I had for a while an idea of visiting U.K. and going to the 3 tracks that I had never been to when I emigrated , and were still operating at the same venue all these years later-that would be Newcastle, Wolves and King's Lynn. But thought it best to leave them as I think they were in my imagination. The thought of the reduced capacity for example at Byker and the small attendances, the weird leathers plastered with ads,and what I think would be a depressing atmosphere I just couldn't face it. Like you I am keenly interested in speedway history but no enthusiasm for attending a modern meeting. Although as Iris123 said- I have nothing against London buses and in fact I don't have any friends interested in speedway left over 'ome!!

The fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times.

Glad we have finally got that cleared up ,so we know it has nothing to do with London Buses or not having any friends who will take you there :icon_smile_clown::rofl:

I would add though that until a couple of years ago I was a regular visitor to Wimbledon Stadium on Sunday evenings for the various car racing events. :lol:

I would add though that until a couple of years ago I was a regular visitor to Wimbledon Stadium on Sunday evenings for the various car racing events. :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I understand your point of view gustix- I had for a while an idea of visiting U.K. and going to the 3 tracks that I had never been to when I emigrated , and were still operating at the same venue all these years later-that would be Newcastle, Wolves and King's Lynn. But thought it best to leave them as I think they were in my imagination. The thought of the reduced capacity for example at Byker and the small attendances, the weird leathers plastered with ads,and what I think would be a depressing atmosphere I just couldn't face it. Like you I am keenly interested in speedway history but no enthusiasm for attending a modern meeting. Although as Iris123 said- I have nothing against London buses and in fact I don't have any friends interested in speedway left over 'ome!!

Very interesting comment BOBBATH. Speedway has changed far too much from what we regard as its 'golden era' - in many ways what is presumably served up in modern times is just an apology for what in our day we found so magical about the sport, its riders, the packed terraces and the fairly large Press coverage he used to receive. Times move on and sadly I tend increasingly to think they have for British speedway.

Edited by Guest

Norbiton

Islington

Morden

Battersea

Ystrad Mynach

Spooky.

I've been married twice. First time in Norbiton, second time in Morden.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

...and for the crowd sizes with the cars attracting much bigger attendances than speedway ever did in both the last years of big-time racing around 1988-91 and certainly than in the CL era 2002-2005.

Spooky.

Following that logic it looks like the next time will be in Ystrad Mynach. :o;)

:D :D :P

Spooky.

You seem to have a fair bit in common with my family!!!

You lived in the same street in Tooting as my mum and her parents.And my sister was also married in Morden,Registry office in Morden Hall Park to be exact

Norbiton

Islington

Morden

Battersea

Ystrad Mynach

I would love a track in ystrad mynach I lve nearby in newbridge, there is a greyhound flapping stadium there but it's right next to a hospital so no chance

Bristol

Newport/Cardiff/the valleys

Exeter

Reading

Oxford

Edited by Ken Morgan

You seem to have a fair bit in common with my family!!!

You lived in the same street in Tooting as my mum and her parents.And my sister was also married in Morden,Registry office in Morden Hall Park to be exact

Got married in Morden Hall as well. Lovely place to have a registry office being a National Trust building.

You must have a good memory because I can't remember talking about where I lived in Tooting. Spent a lot of Sunday nights in St Boniface club as well.

Haven't been back to that part of London for 15 odd years, but met up with some of my old mates from that area a couple of years ago in Dublin.

Norbiton

Islington

Morden

Battersea

Ystrad Mynach

​In case anyone is confused about the fifth named possible speedway track, here's a guide to the place: "...Ystrad Mynach is a town in the County Borough of Caerphilly, within the ancient county of Glamorgan, Wales, and is 5 miles north of Caerphilly town..."

Edited by Guest

​In case anyones confused about the fifth named possible speedway track, here's a guide to the place: "...Ystrad Mynach is a town in the County Borough of Caerphilly, within the ancient county of Glamorgan, Wales, and is 5 miles north of Caerphilly town..."

Surely saying it was xx miles away from Newport or Cardiff would help more.I personally had no idea where Caerphilly was either!!! :rofl:

​In case anyones confused about the fifth named possible speedway track, here's a guide to the place: "...Ystrad Mynach is a town in the County Borough of Caerphilly, within the ancient county of Glamorgan, Wales, and is 5 miles north of Caerphilly town..."

Surely saying it was xx miles away from Newport or Cardiff would help more.I personally had no idea where Caerphilly was either!!! :rofl:

Then do a Google search the same as I did. Just ask your question and you should get an answer. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest