British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Peter Craven Memorial Meeting Saturday 1st April 2017

What a fantastic meeting that was, race after race producing close racing and passing and re-passing, it goes to show you dont need a GP class of rider to produce stunning speedway, if this had been a GP it would have been lauded from on high. Say what you want about David Gordon and Chris Morton but there is no denying they have left us with a world class track. I think the Aces will suffer in so much as away teams are going to relish coming to Manchester now unlike when we were at the Greyhound track. If we suffer a few defeats due to the track being so fair then so be it. We all want our teams to be succsessful but with this facility and quality of racing we are already winners. Any newbies there last night would be chomping at the bit to get to the next meeting. This is a great oppertunity for the new owners with their business acumen to make a great success of the venue and to take the club onto the next level.

Edited by bellevueace

I'm rubbish at guessing crowd sizes. But I'd say about 1500-1800.

backstraight was full. Grandstand over half full

If you go every week Phil, you should be able to Gauge how many are there give or take a few hundred.. ;)

If you go every week Phil, you should be able to Gauge how many are there give or take a few hundred.. ;)

Someone said to me 2000 was there. They could be right.

Someone said to me 2000 was there. They could be right.

In excess of 1700 it says on BV website , looks like your quite good at estimating crowds Phil :D

Not a bad turn out that

Edited by WestGorton1884

In excess of 1700 it says on BV website , looks like your quite good at estimating crowds Phil :D

Not a bad turn out that

I'm sat here quite smug now 😂

• Like 1

Despite what some people on here have said about Gordon/Morton, much of it probably untrue as its yet to be proved, it was that duo, Gordon/Morotn, who said they would model the new NSS track on the best , including Hyde Road and Torun.

I was at BV for the 2 World Cup meetings last year but unfortunately not there last night, but from what everyone is raving about BV is a circuit for all stadiums to attain to - wonderful once the nappies are out of the way.

• Like 1

Generally most tracks that have been built in what may be classed 'modern times' are praised for the racing they produce despite not being exactly like Belle Vue.

Scunny and Somerset often raised on the pedastal as providing the best racing and somewhere like Plymouth even though it is as far from Belle Vue (size and distance lol) is also praised greatly.

The big exception has been Leicester which was down to 1 mans stubborness and hopefully us gradually being rectified.

A number of established tracks are also making great efforts to improve - look at the work at the likes of Glasgow Ipswich and Peterborough (already hailed as one if the best but not resting on their laurels) over the winter.

They are often praised as good racing but that's only when compared to the dire rubbish served up most weeks at most tracks.

No track comes close to the new Belle Vue, it's what British Speedway has been crying out for and it might just lead a revival in the sport's fortunes, if allowed to.

All hail Gordon & Morton!

Imagine if last night's meeting had been last year, how would the Aces fortunes have been different?

• Like 6

They are often praised as good racing but that's only when compared to the dire rubbish served up most weeks at most tracks.

No track comes close to the new Belle Vue, it's what British Speedway has been crying out for and it might just lead a revival in the sport's fortunes, if allowed to.

All hail Gordon & Morton!

Imagine if last night's meeting had been last year, how would the Aces fortunes have been different?

Well said mate. last night must have been a bittersweet moment for any of those of the speedway fraternity who were involved in the NSS project, I don't know if Mort was there or not, if he was it will have been a difficult evening, if he wasn't there then I hope he will be attending soon, he is Mr Belle Vue speedway whatever anyone says.

• Like 1

The other thing to remember here is that in the rush to get one over Belle Vue it ultimately saw these guys chucked out of the sport. IMO we could do with people who know how to provide a fabulous race track and someone who, lets face it has seen it all when it comes to working with the authorities on a new stadium project.

The rudderless ship that is British speedway shooting itself in the foot once again.

• Like 2

Without Mort and Gordon we wouldn't be enjoying speedway in Manchester and without the track and stadium balls up they would still be involved, it's so, so annoying and upsetting!!

• Like 2

I'm sat here quite smug now

Well if you go often enough Phil you should be able to estimate the attendance within a few hundered.

Well if you go often enough Phil you should be able to estimate the attendance within a few hundered.

Well he does . and he did

Well he does . and he did

And so he should.

And so he should.

Wow , and yet some people still say you cant have serious debate on this forum

That showed em !

• Like 2

And so he should.

I would ask for your attendances but then I remembered you can't count to 10