British Speedway Forum

Why has no promoter looked at reviving this venue where it appears that the Council actually want it re opening ?

Do you not think if it was that easy someone wouldn't already be running it? Basically, the current owners have no intention of allowing it to be used by any tenant, preferring to see it fall into disrepair.

Why has no promoter looked at reviving this venue where it appears that the Council actually want it re opening ?

Do you not think if it was that easy someone wouldn't already be running it? Basically, the current owners have no intention of allowing it to be used by any tenant, preferring to see it fall into disrepair.

Not sure how this would work out but would not a prospective speedway promoter also be responsible for all the renovations and upgrading needed to bring the speedway back? The cost would be prohibitive and not worthwhile looking at - as it seems in these times - with an attendance of around 1,000! :unsure:

Edited by Guest

I looked in some years ago and the stadium was looking very sorry for itself (confirmed only a couple of years ago when my uncle did same) and would need some attention...and money to bring it up to scratch.

I put it to GRA at the time that their intention was to run the asset down and sell it off for development which a representative strongly denied however I've been proved correct since.

A very sad state of affairs...and especially yours truly who attended Cowley for 32 years.

• Like 1

I thought there were a couple of promoters willing to step in as long as the right terms were agreed. There is the stumbling block, although hasn't the site been designated for Leisure use only?!

I thought there were a couple of promoters willing to step in as long as the right terms were agreed. There is the stumbling block, although hasn't the site been designated for Leisure use only?!

thats not a stumbling block, its the only thing preventing demolition.

• Like 1

The Totaliser has had a preservation order placed upon it to the best of my knowledge...may have even been grade listed. However the future of the complex is still uncertain.

Not sure how this would work out but would not a prospective speedway promoter also be responsible for all the renovations and upgrading needed to bring the speedway back? The cost would be prohibitive and not worthwhile looking at - as it seems in these times - with an attendance of around 1,000! :unsure:

If the stadium does get sold as a going concern and it is bought by a greyhound operator, then they'd presumably be responsible for fitting out the restaurant/bar area. Regarding the speedway facilities - much of it is still in place as it was left and would just need a good tidy up, with much of the equipment being stored off site. The only big expense would be an airfence/foam fence, but if other clubs can raise the funds to buy one by a challenge meeting or whatever then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The main problem being waiting for the current owners to decide what they're going to do with the site!

The whole site is designated as a conservation area. Even felling a tree without the correct permissions can have serious consequences for the owners.

If the stadium does get sold as a going concern and it is bought by a greyhound operator, then they'd presumably be responsible for fitting out the restaurant/bar area. Regarding the speedway facilities - much of it is still in place as it was left and would just need a good tidy up, with much of the equipment being stored off site. The only big expense would be an airfence/foam fence, but if other clubs can raise the funds to buy one by a challenge meeting or whatever then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The main problem being waiting for the current owners to decide what they're going to do with the site!

The whole site is designated as a conservation area. Even felling a tree without the correct permissions can have serious consequences for the owners.

At the moment, sadly, they seem happy to just sit on it and allow the value of the Site to increase.

Really, it is a shame that pressure cannot be brought on the current Owners to make up their minds quickly.

• Like 1

Seeing Smallmead derelict and torn down without development for nearly a decade is bad enough.

While I know Oxford crowds slumped badly it must be even more agonising to see a once decent stadium there and allowed to decay so some big banking business can one day make a mint must hurt even more.

Edited by remembertheracers
  • Like 1

Seeing Smallmead derelict and torn down without development for nearly a decade is bad enough.

While I know Oxford crowds slumped badly it must be even more agonising to see a once decent stadium there and allowed to decay so some big banking business can one day make a mint must hurt even more.

Unless a compulsory order can be purchased I fear for the stadium and it's future...I hope that I am proved wrong!

Are there any meetings of Oxford speedway supporters planned for the immediate future?

Are there any meetings of Oxford speedway supporters planned for the immediate future?

The Oxford Speedway Supporters Club still hire a venue and show each Grand Prix round on a big screen with an all you can eat BBQ, apart from Cardiff where they put on a couple of coaches for supporters. They also do an end of season dinner each year with a guest speaker. All are still well attended.

The Totaliser has had a preservation order placed upon it to the best of my knowledge...may have even been grade listed. However the future of the complex is still uncertain.

the totaliser board was listed at catford as well. It dissapeared along with the stadium.
  • Like 1

The conservation area status is on the whole stadium, in particular the two racing circuits. It lasts for a 'generation' and a challenge to it was thrown out in High Court.

There's been little movement since the whole situation was explained in the Speedway Star last March. It's still the same stalemate, which can only be broken if the council go ahead with a CPO.

Even the 'sale' of the stadium (the buyers were exactly the same people as the sellers!!) last Autumn hasn't affected the situation.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1