British Speedway Forum

The conversation area status is on the whole area

Is this a major talking point Rob? ;)

• Like 1

Surely a compulsory purchase by Oxford council can be put through. Then sell it back to a company who will only use the site for leisure ie. Speedway and Greyhound racing.

Surely a compulsory purchase by Oxford council can be put through. Then sell it back to a company who will only use the site for leisure ie. Speedway and Greyhound racing.

Ultimately, I think this will be the eventual outcome. As frustrating as it is though, the stadium 'changed owners' only a few months ago, so the council can't be seen to jump straight in to a CPO so will probably have hold off for a while.

The conversation area status is on the whole area, in particular the two racing circuits. It lasts for a 'generation' and a challenge to it was thrown out in High Court.

There's been little movement since the whole situation was explained in the Speedway Star last March. It's still the same stalemate, which can only be broken if the council go ahead with a CPO.

Even the 'sale' of the stadium (the buyers were exactly the same people as the sellers!!) last Autumn hasn't affected the situation.

All the best

Rob

Is it not 'Conservation' we are talking about here lucifer sam? :o;)

See what I did there. :D

Coat required? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Ultimately, I think this will be the eventual outcome. As frustrating as it is though, the stadium 'changed owners' only a few months ago, so the council can't be seen to jump straight in to a CPO so will probably have hold off for a while.

Just to clarify: who are the current owners of Cowley Stadium? So much keeps coming up in regard to the place I have lost knowledge of what is happening in regard to its ownership.

So when was the stadium sold to the same people that already owned it ? was it offered first to the people who requested it was made an asset of the Community, or did the sale just go ahead without being offered ? in which case the last sale could well be invalid.

Does anyone know what the stadium is valued at? Given a CPO has to be at market value, I'd have thought that would be the largest stumbling block.

Does anyone know what the stadium is valued at? Given a CPO has to be at market value, I'd have thought that would be the largest stumbling block.

I believe the value it was sold and bought last year (by the same people) was £1.4 million.

All the best

Rob

Is a revival effort worth all the effort when one takes into consideration the size of the crowd likely to turn up as speedway spectators? :unsure:

A right ray of sunlight, you are. ;)

It would be the same as everywhere else - deprive people of speedway for a decade, and then bring it back, and you get bumper crowds. People realise what they've been missing, and tend to remember the good times rather than the bad.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Is a revival effort worth all the effort when one takes into consideration the size of the crowd likely to turn up as speedway spectators? :unsure:

A right ray of sunlight, you are. ;)

It would be the same as everywhere else - deprive people of speedway for a decade, and then bring it back, and you get bumper crowds. People realise what they've been missing, and tend to remember the good times rather than the bad.

All the best

Rob

I don't recall that happening at Wimbledon! A senior club - it closed in 1992. Then came back at Conference League level in 2002 - average attendances were judged at 500 a meeting. :rolleyes: