British Speedway Forum

A right ray of sunlight, you are. ;)

It would be the same as everywhere else - deprive people of speedway for a decade, and then bring it back, and you get bumper crowds. People realise what they've been missing, and tend to remember the good times rather than the bad.

All the best

Rob

I hope that you are right Rob but successive promotions at Cowley struggled with attendances and speedway's profile is at a low ebb at present and for the forceable future. I wish the initiative well, however, as Cowley was a big part of my life for 32 years.

I'm driving around Yorkshire with a 'Save Oxford Stadium' in my car window hoping to draw attention!

• Like 1

Is a revival effort worth all the effort when one takes into consideration the size of the crowd likely to turn up as speedway spectators? :unsure:

A right ray of sunlight, you are. ;)

It would be the same as everywhere else - deprive people of speedway for a decade, and then bring it back, and you get bumper crowds. People realise what they've been missing, and tend to remember the good times rather than the bad.

All the best

Rob

I don't recall that happening at Wimbledon! A senior club - it closed in 1992. Then came back at Conference League level in 2002 - average attendances were judged at 500 a meeting. :rolleyes:

I hope that you are right Rob but successive promotions at Cowley struggled with attendances and speedway's profile is at a low ebb at present and for the forceable future. I wish the initiative well, however, as Cowley was a big part of my life for 32 years.

I'm driving around Yorkshire with a 'Save Oxford Stadium' in my car window hoping to draw attention!

Interesting comment steve roberts. It tends to reflect how I feel in regard to the state of speedway at the present time. :sad:

I don't recall that happening at Wimbledon! A senior club - it closed in 1992. Then came back at Conference League level in 2002 - average attendances were judged at 500 a meeting. :rolleyes:

Gustix:

1. I believe Wimbledon closed in 1991, not 1992.

2. The crowd for the first meeting in 2002 was massive. Unfortunately, the track was an abomination and many never returned.

If Oxford comes back and it is run correctly, I can't see why it can't be successful. I think we have a bigger hardcore than Wimbledon in any case. When there was a Wimbledon v Oxford challenge meeting at Reading in 2008, there seemed to be no more than around 50 Wimbledon fans there, but a good 300-400 Oxford fans present.

All the best

Rob

Gustix:

1. I believe Wimbledon closed in 1991, not 1992.

2. The crowd for the first meeting in 2002 was massive. Unfortunately, the track was an abomination and many never returned.

If Oxford comes back and it is run correctly, I can't see why it can't be successful. I think we have a bigger hardcore than Wimbledon in any case. When there was a Wimbledon v Oxford challenge meeting at Reading in 2008, there seemed to be no more than around 50 Wimbledon fans there, but a good 300-400 Oxford fans present.

All the best

Rob

The closedown of senior racing at Wimbledon was, as you say, in 1991 NOT 1992. Whatever year it was, that was the end for big time speedway at Plough Lane.

You claim a hardcore spectator base and use as your analysis a challenge match in 2008 - is that relevant nowadays. It was NINE years ago. Those fans would have been from the PREVIOUS era of Oxford - how many of them are still as interested these days?

Speedway ended at Oxford in 2007 - what were the average attendances in those days. How many supporters - apart from the traditional 'hardcore' - from those days are still interested in speedway?

Edited by Guest

Let's not bother with trying to get speedway back to Oxford - the miserable old git doesn't think it's worth it

Bulldoze it and make him 'appy

The closedown of senior racing at Wimbledon was, as you say, in 1991 NOT 1992. Whatever year it was, that was the end for big time speedway at Plough Lane.

You claim a hardcore spectator base and use as your analysis a challenge match in 2008 - is that relevant nowadays. It was NINE years ago. Those fans would have been from the PREVIOUS era of Oxford - how many of them are still as interested these days?

Speedway ended at Oxford in 2007 - what were the average attendances in those days. How many supporters - apart from the traditional 'hardcore' - from those days are still interested in speedway?

Let's not bother with trying to get speedway back to Oxford - the miserable old git doesn't think it's worth it

That's not your usual tone for response messages Midland Red! TBH I don't care if people want to revive speedway in Oxford or otherwise. All I was trying to draw attention to was the fact that in current speedway times and the overall support speedway has.

Such a proposition to me does not look to be worth the effort with the concern that potential attendances MAY not justify all the effort that will take place. But then, at the end of the day, I suppose it's up to the local population to decide not a 'miserable old git' based in 'sarf' London?

Edited by Guest

I can't believe you could be SO negative about efforts to revive a dormant speedway venue

That's not your usual tone for response messages Midland Red! TBH I don't care if people want to revive speedway in Oxford or otherwise. All I was trying to draw attention to was the fact that in current speedway times and the overall support speedway has.

Such a proposition to me does not look to be worth the effort with the concern that potential attendances MAY not justify all the effort that will take place. But then, at the end of the day, I suppose it's up to the local population to decide not a 'miserable old git' based in 'sarf' London?

I can't believe you could be SO negative about efforts to revive a dormant speedway venue

I can see your latest point Midland Red. But at the end of the day how successful attendance wise will an Oxford revival be? These are times when crowds are now analysed - albeit sadly - in hundreds not thousands. And it was on that basis that I asked were efforts for an Oxford speedway revival worthwhile?

It would seem that others in this thread think the effort is worth making. We must hope that effort at the end of the day has the reward it deserves? (And read that last comment as you like!)

I can only wish all Oxford Supporters the very best of luck with this.

It is really nice to see something positive about our Sport for once.

I like the idea that people living nearby like the idea too.

As I say - I wish Oxford well. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 3

I know that there are a good number of people working very hard to get speedway back to Oxford and I really do wish them every success in their efforts which seem to me to be very professional.

The biggest problem seems to be the intransigence of the stadium owners but in my opinion, all the stick that the GRA have been getting isn't wholly justified. The GRA are very pro speedway and greyhound racing but they are a subsidiary of a bigger company and have no choice but to do as their "masters" tell them. The "Oxford" situation is replicated at Hall Green Stadium in Birmingham where the venue which has operated successfully for 90 years is now facing closure and demolition despite the strong opposition of local people. The "Save Hall Green" group succeeded in having the stadium declared a Community Asset, but this did not stop the City Council's Chief Planning Officer over-ruling the Planning Committee's 9-2 vote to refuse permission to demolish the stadium just three weeks after it had been made. (This decision is currently being challenged through the Ombudsman, but everyone is well aware that even if this battle is won, there is nothing to stop the owners from re-submitting their planning application and the planning committee then being "leaned on" to pass it.

In Oxford's case though, they do seem to have considerable support from their City Council so their chances are much improved, so my advice to them is to stick with it. The very best of good luck to them. It will be worth it in the end!

• Like 1

Yes Brian the planning laws are stacked firmly in the favour of developers.

I think it took Barratts 7 attempts to finally get permission to redevelop Dudley Wood but 5 'nos', 1 last minute withdrawal and a single solitary' yes' still ended up as an overall 'yes'.

Good luck to all at Oxford. They know they are swimming against the tide butare prepared to carry on doing it for the good of the sport.

Yes the system is definitely unfairly biased in favour of big business - Every time Barratt's were refused planning consent to build houses on the Dudley Wood site, they knew that they could just apply again and again until they finally got the decision they wanted, but on the other hand, once the planning inspector had over-ruled Dudley Council and approved the application, there was no scope for a counter-appeal. I suggested this in a letter of complaint I sent to the planning inspector and he was much affronted by the suggestion that big business could pull strings!

Update in today's Oxford Mail which sounds a lot more positive!!!

Forming a 'Social Enterprise' with Oxford Council to bring back speedway and greyhounds (and presumably anything else that the facility could cope with)?!

Rumours from the Swindon thread that Stadia UK's greyhound stadium manager Bill Glass has been spotted looking at the Oxford facilities??!!

Edited by Skidder1

Great news! Really hope Oxford get back on track.

Great for Oxford but that would be curtains for Swindon but as long as your happy