British Speedway Forum

I have very fond memories of Oxford speedway going back to their entry to National League Division Three in 1949. But I do have concerns as to the viability/profitability of a revamped stadium if there is no return by greyhound racing.

Would it be a profitable venture to have a season only sport like speedway?

Additionally, with a potential attendance of circa 800 on, as speedway appears these days, not every week during the season?

I will be accused in some quarters of trying to put a dampener on the revival - far be it. But sadly when there is talk of revivals there is a tendency to look at ventures through rose-tinted spectacles. Good luck if speedway does return to Cowley Stadium but it is essential to have a good plan prepared to ensure a success for a speedway come-back there.

::: A look back to the speedway days at Oxford thanks to the Defunct Speedway Tracks website:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/oxford.htm

Edited by Guest

Good news as it's a travesty the way Cowley Stadium has been allowed to fall into disrepair.

• Like 2

Very negative comments at the bottom of the page, from local residents.

...there was always one living in Sandy Lane who was always very anti despite moving there knowing that the stadium was there!

• Like 1

17265206_10154658401297772_1720745412940

Very apt!

It looks in a better state than some places that ARE running, it'd be a great boost to Speedway in this country if it re-opened.

• Like 6

Need to get a few positive comments going on the bottom of that paper article.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Bit different but when I moved into my current house opposite a school I thought about it carefully, I knew for 15 minutes in a morning and afternoon it would be chaos outside my house. On the plus side at other times there's no one about especially evenings and weekends. For that half hour it's a bit of a pain but it was my choice

• Like 2

17265206_10154658401297772_1720745412940

Problem is the fact that he moved in in the knowledge that the stadium was there cuts no ice with the law, as Mildenhall found out.

Bloody stupid but that's how it is.