British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Fingers crossed , it's good to see the council standing up to the property developers dodgy tactics.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 4

The council need to bring in a company working within the community interest business sports  model area . Look at it's options and invite sports to be located at and run at the stadium . It has great potential .. for the benefit of the community . 

Potential for rates relief / funding options 

The speedway could rent the facility , from the cic 

Would make a great facility for rider development / mechanical youth project and club races . 

Kind regards Adrian young 

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

Any news about oxford? Be good if they could come use to be a top track

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

Any news about oxford? Be good if they could come use to be a top track

Apparently there is news in the Oxford Mail (I'm unable to post links!) and it looks positive...compulsory purchase but still a long way to go.

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Some of the comments arent very complimentary.....

Rarely are on newspaper websites. More loonies than certain corners of the BSF ;-)

I see some of the comments refer to the sport not being good for the climate. Rightly or wrongly that's something that is likely to be brought up in future whenever a stadium is looking to open/re-open/get permission to have extra meetings etc. And unless there is an apparent plan to become more environmentally friendly I suspect this will become a big problem.

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I see some of the comments refer to the sport not being good for the climate. Rightly or wrongly that's something that is likely to be brought up in future whenever a stadium is looking to open/re-open/get permission to have extra meetings etc. And unless there is an apparent plan to become more environmentally friendly I suspect this will become a big problem.

It's the age-old argument that's based on the false assumption that we use petrol. So it's vital to get the methanol response ready. In reality though, it's a case of people clutching at any straw to save their property's value. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It's the age-old argument that's based on the false assumption that we use petrol. So it's vital to get the methanol response ready. In reality though, it's a case of people clutching at any straw to save their property's value. 

...and, again, I'd be interested to know what these self-interested people do as regards entertainment and what ticks their box?

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and, again, I'd be interested to know what these self-interested people do as regards entertainment and what ticks their box?

They would say "As long as it doesn't affect my house value who cares?"

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I was brought up on Blackbird Leys (and proud of it) and was a regular at the speedway at Cowley for many of those years. I well remember a resident who moved into Sandy Lane knowing full well that speedway and greyhounds took place there and continually moaned about the facility. Would write to the local paper and generally  make a nuisance of themselves. I recall the late Bernard Crapper commenting on same but eventually they moved out or died (I can't recall which) much to the relief of all and sundry. The same applied to the old Manor Ground in Headington whereby locals would complain about the football...and I would imagine that scenrio is repeated all around the country with locals being more pro-active in displaying their disapproval despite knowing the situation.

8 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

And yet ironic that Steve turned into a nimby during the cycling world championships !!! Laugh, I almost moved to Ethiopia 

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And yet ironic that Steve turned into a nimby during the cycling world championships !!! Laugh, I almost moved to Ethiopia 

Totally different scenario to what's being discussed as you well know. As you brought up the subject of the Cycling World Championships I was in Harrogate only yesterday and the area known as "The Stray" resembles the Somme Battlefield and was fenced off and the surrounding pavements badly effected. A local I spoke too said that it's envisaged that it may take two years to put it right at Tax Payers expense.