British Speedway Forum

The BAGS deal has always been the lifeline for many tracks, but as betting shop turnover on dogs has fallen then the bookies desire to pay relatively big money to the tracks is on the wane. Oxford dogs wouldn't be viable long term without some sort of streaming contract.

The more you dig into this story I think false hope is being played here. 

100 homes on the only car park? Really?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not only that but you also have to ask the question why Oxford Speedway closed in the first place

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

that's possible 'homes' not houses so they will be a large complex of flats with say 10 houses could be a possibility. 

3 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

that's possible 'homes' not houses so they will be a large complex of flats with say 10 houses could be a possibility. 

Regardless, 100 flat building will take the whole car park as the space legally has to allocate a single parking space per flat. 

21 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Regardless, 100 flat building will take the whole car park as the space legally has to allocate a single parking space per flat. 

Have you checked the local plan for that area? Parking is not required in some areas that are well served by public transport and employment.

• Like 2

As an aside, Chiltern Railways ran a test train, a couple of years ago, full of local dignitaries along the rail line that runs behind the stadium. The idea being to build a passenger station to run services to from London Marylebone. Oxford station has limited capacity for terminating services and a new station would give the flexibility to run trains through Oxford station without occupying platform space. I haven't heard any further plans being put in the public domain, but if it was to transpire it would put the stadium with-in reach of public transport from as far afield as London.

• Like 1

Well the Peta spokeswoman did her research. "The stadium should open but only for the car racing"......

Someone has googled speedway and got a picture of Nascar come up I reckon....

I wonder how the Peta spokesperson thinks the cars are going to have any pit space? I have only ever known one trainer in greyhound racing and after all I had heard about the way the dogs were treated it was very good to find that they were treated as well as any pet dog is. I can well believe that some trainers do do things the wrong way but Peta should not tar all trainers with the same brush.

1,000 Greyhounds died or were killed in 2018!!!! Does that tell the whole story ? Certainly give ammo to peta

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

1,000 Greyhounds died or were killed in 2018!!!! Does that tell the whole story ? Certainly give ammo to peta

I agree that figure is dreadful and would never support bad treatment of any animal but I would like to hear both sides of the arguement. It is possible that the person I met was one of only a few who did it the right way.

16 minutes ago, iris123 said:

In Finland dogs dont die.

7 hours ago, Noodles said:

Finland has immortal dogs? 

Yes. Even the dogs that are used for hunting and police dogs that are attacked by wolwes, bears and criminals only get hurt but dont die. Only british greyhound dogs die.