British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Yes. Even the dogs that are used for hunting and police dogs that are attacked by wolwes, bears and criminals only get hurt but dont die. Only british greyhound dogs die.

:D

13 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Well the Peta spokeswoman did her research. "The stadium should open but only for the car racing"......

Someone has googled speedway and got a picture of Nascar come up I reckon....

Is that taking a snippet for a swipe at her? She does say "........ and other sports". So no miss conception on her part. 

12 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I wonder how the Peta spokesperson thinks the cars are going to have any pit space? I have only ever known one trainer in greyhound racing and after all I had heard about the way the dogs were treated it was very good to find that they were treated as well as any pet dog is. I can well believe that some trainers do do things the wrong way but Peta should not tar all trainers with the same brush.

As a Speedway fan, Oxford would be a great addition to the sport but as much as there is hope it won't happen when all is reliant on greyhounds.

It just won't get the backing, even if it did reopen, it'll be shut down again within a year. 

The PETA spokesperson is absolutely correct, for the stadium to reopen, be sustainable and survive longevity it has to be for only, as she put it, "willing, human participants".

I feel for Rob Pleasley as he tried to defend the greyhounds but I think he's a little blinkered. The Oxford Mail have ripped him a new hole with the greyhound statistics:-

"Official figures released earlier this year by the Greyhound Board of Great Britain revealed that almost 1,000 racing greyhounds died or were killed in 2018.

Hundreds of dogs were euthanised in 2018 for reasons including the high cost of medical treatment and the absence of a ‘viable option away from the racecourse’.

There has also been a steady decline in the number of greyhound tracks, with Wimbledon and the flagship course, Towcester, among those that closed as attendance reached historic lows".

Rob, if I was you, I'd speak with Budimir and try and get plans done for the inclusion of Stocks, Hot Rods & Bangers on an all shale surface and rip out the dogs. You're unfortunately on a losing campaign if the continuation is Greyhounds is the only option. 

59 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Rob, if I was you, I'd speak with Budimir and try and get plans done for the inclusion of Stocks, Hot Rods & Bangers on an all shale surface and rip out the dogs. You're unfortunately on a losing campaign if the continuation is Greyhounds is the only option. 

Isn't Nick Budimir primarily involved in greyhound racing? It would seem a strange approach to buy a stadium and then drop the one thing he has a background in.

13 hours ago, f-s-p said:

In Finland dogs dont die.

Don’t they even freeze to death? :unsure:

I like speedway and stox about equally. I would love both the bikes and cars to return to Oxford but it is simply not possible as there is no space for a pit area for the cars. When the cars last ran many of them were parked on the wrong side of the road and the police allowed them to be driven across the road which is of course totally illegal. I don't think that would be possible nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Don’t they even freeze to death? :unsure:

Only British greyhounds die. 1000 of then last year. Cat’s might though even here. And actually my neighbour put two to sleep earlier this year. But thats not news, thats life.

15 hours ago, f-s-p said:

In Finland dogs dont die.

I thought they eat dog in Finland?

11 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I thought they eat dog in Finland?

Yes but only live one’s. Finnish dogs dont die.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I like speedway and stox about equally. I would love both the bikes and cars to return to Oxford but it is simply not possible as there is no space for a pit area for the cars. When the cars last ran many of them were parked on the wrong side of the road and the police allowed them to be driven across the road which is of course totally illegal. I don't think that would be possible nowadays. 

2 hours ago, MattK said:

Isn't Nick Budimir primarily involved in greyhound racing? It would seem a strange approach to buy a stadium and then drop the one thing he has a background in.

Then I'd say the idea os a dead rubber then, greyhounds is a more extinct sport than Speedway. Great shame the project is doomed for failure before it's even got going. 

Maybe Budimir is planning exactly that so the grounds become impossible to prove that sport has any chance of survival and apply for planning on the whole ground for many more £m's than the redevelopment of the stadium. 

A free hit for Budimir

39 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Then I'd say the idea os a dead rubber then, greyhounds is a more extinct sport than Speedway. Great shame the project is doomed for failure before it's even got going. 

Maybe Budimir is planning exactly that so the grounds become impossible to prove that sport has any chance of survival and apply for planning on the whole ground for many more £m's than the redevelopment of the stadium. 

A free hit for Budimir

It does seem strange that anyone would invest £20m into a decrepit stadium which plays host to two sports in terminal decline.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iris123 said:

1,000 Greyhounds died or were killed in 2018!!!! Does that tell the whole story ? Certainly give ammo to peta

I would like a few rounds of ammo to give to peta tbh

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Crickey!I thought the 1,000 dogs was exaggerated maybe, but it is no wonder people are protesting against the sport

Edited by iris123

I too, would love to see speedway back at Oxford. I frequently visited Cowley as a Bees fan and enjoyed the racing there.

However, I cannot ignore the linkage with greyhound racing.

I should declare my position. I own a greyhound. He isn't an ex racer (possible hare coarser) but I have strong links with the ex racer community including a local greyhound rescue centre.

The greyhound racing community have had a long time to clean up it's act. Greyhounds are treated like a commodity and many hundreds (looks like thousands) are destroyed each year simply because they are or have become "too slow". And it's clear from those animal that are rescued, that many racing owners don't treat their greyhounds with any great kindness. Greyhounds, by nature, are gentle loving creatures, that make excellent pets. Those rescued following a racing career are often painfully timid who can take years to adapt to "normal" life.

You should meet a "domestic" greyhound. You would encounter a happy, kind creature who you would be pleased to spend time with. Believe me, they deserve better.

• Like 3

A good post FD from someone with some knowledge. I am quite shocked at those figures. No real knowledge of the dogs. I went once back in the early 80s I think at Wimbledon. But that was because it was part of our course at college and was free for us and compulsory. I of course knew there were protests, but just thought it was due to dogs getting killed during a race., rather like the protests in the US against horse racing. The figures are indefensible and I am surprised Rob has defended the sport. Out of pure desperation to get speedway back I guess

Tbh it can’t be long before the sport is put out of business with today’s political climate