British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

As a Speedway fan, Oxford would be a great addition to the sport but as much as there is hope it won't happen when all is reliant on greyhounds.

It just won't get the backing, even if it did reopen, it'll be shut down again within a year. 

The PETA spokesperson is absolutely correct, for the stadium to reopen, be sustainable and survive longevity it has to be for only, as she put it, "willing, human participants".

I feel for Rob Pleasley as he tried to defend the greyhounds but I think he's a little blinkered. The Oxford Mail have ripped him a new hole with the greyhound statistics:-

"Official figures released earlier this year by the Greyhound Board of Great Britain revealed that almost 1,000 racing greyhounds died or were killed in 2018.

Hundreds of dogs were euthanised in 2018 for reasons including the high cost of medical treatment and the absence of a ‘viable option away from the racecourse’.

There has also been a steady decline in the number of greyhound tracks, with Wimbledon and the flagship course, Towcester, among those that closed as attendance reached historic lows".

Rob, if I was you, I'd speak with Budimir and try and get plans done for the inclusion of Stocks, Hot Rods & Bangers on an all shale surface and rip out the dogs. You're unfortunately on a losing campaign if the continuation is Greyhounds is the only option. 

So you'd listen to these people, would you:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/17/peta-sorry-for-taking-girls-dog-putting-it-down

Sounds like really nice people, don't they?

On the other hand, the Oxford Mail report the other day chose to omit certain information.  This is the full quote I gave them, with the missing bits in bold:

Save Oxford Stadium campaigner Rob Peasley said: "As a speedway supporter, I've often seen negative comments towards greyhound racing, but the reality of the situation is very different to that stated by PETA. A group of us once bought a greyhound and then one of the families involved had the dog as a pet after he had retired. The greyhounds are very well looked after by the trainers, and you can tell how much the dogs love to race - they are doing what they love doing. No-one from PETA attended the Local Plan Hearing. All the members of the public who took time off work and made the commitment to attend the hearing were in favour of the return of the greyhounds and speedway."

Unfortunately it didn't fit the reporter's story to let people know what happens to a lot of the greyhound once they retire. In fact, there's a whole charity, the Greyhound Trust, who re-home retired greyhounds.

Edited by lucifer sam

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

So you use a story from the US to try & give credence to the greyhound fraternity? That has no relevance to PETA in the UK :rolleyes:

You on losing ground backing greyhounds.

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

So you use a story from the US to try & give credence to the greyhound fraternity? That has no relevance to PETA in the UK :rolleyes:

You on losing ground backing greyhounds.

Why on earth are you believing a biased newspaper report, which doesn't even know that speedway is a motorcycle sport?

GIve me strength.

More dogs are destroyed by PETA each year.  The supposed "animal rights" group kill more dogs than anyone.

That's not the policy of the Greyhound Trust charity, who re-home the dogs.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Why on earth are you believing a biased newspaper report, which doesn't even know that speedway is a motorcycle sport?

GIve me strength.

More dogs are destroyed by PETA each year.  The supposed "animal rights" group kill more dogs than anyone.

That's not the policy of the Greyhound Trust charity, who re-home the dogs.

You need to do some research as to why PETA have dogs destroyed, and other animals in fact. Unlike Greyhound racing, it's not for the fun & profit of it. Yes, mistakes can be make but that happens with everything everywhere. 

I know the Greyhound Trust very well as the father in law has greyhounds from the Dudley branch only. You should take notice of the numbers that come in to these places and the numbers that don't make it to rehoming. With the resources they have the Greyhound Trust do an absolutely terrific job. Outstanding in fact. 100%, the Greyhound Trust mostly do not like the Greyhound kennel owners and the hound owners. They know that they only receive some of the best retired dogs to rehabilitate and rehome.

You really need to give your head a wobble, you want Oxford back. So too would all of us but please do not think Greyhound Racing is the only avenue. Go down that avenue and you'll end up with a seriously bad car crash situation. 

I'd seriously think about what Budimir's agenda is. If you believe it's Greyhounds and Speedway you've been badly suckered in as it ain't going to be successful. 

Sorry

4 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

So you'd listen to these people, would you:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/17/peta-sorry-for-taking-girls-dog-putting-it-down

Sounds like really nice people, don't they?

On the other hand, the Oxford Mail report the other day chose to omit certain information.  This is the full quote I gave them, with the missing bits in bold:

Save Oxford Stadium campaigner Rob Peasley said: "As a speedway supporter, I've often seen negative comments towards greyhound racing, but the reality of the situation is very different to that stated by PETA. A group of us once bought a greyhound and then one of the families involved had the dog as a pet after he had retired. The greyhounds are very well looked after by the trainers, and you can tell how much the dogs love to race - they are doing what they love doing. No-one from PETA attended the Local Plan Hearing. All the members of the public who took time off work and made the commitment to attend the hearing were in favour of the return of the greyhounds and speedway."

Unfortunately it didn't fit the reporter's story to let people know what happens to a lot of the greyhound once they retire. In fact, there's a whole charity, the Greyhound Trust, who re-home retired greyhounds.

Quite correct Rob. Some people have been known for believing what's printed in the The Guardian. :o  Not that many, as they are always pleading for handouts.:rolleyes:

Edited by Tsunami

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'd seriously think about what Budimir's agenda is. If you believe it's Greyhounds and Speedway you've been badly suckered in as it ain't going to be successful. 

Sorry

The main-money will come from the 100 homes included as part of the plans, that's for sure.  But if it's used to leverage speedway and greyhounds back, that can only  be positive. Both sports are much missed in Oxford, and have been well represented in any public meeting.

On the other hand, the hypocritical PETA could not even get a single supporter to the Local Plan Hearing.  I wonder why?  

Anyway, please go and troll another section on this forum.  That's all you ever seem to do.

Edited by lucifer sam

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

A good post FD from someone with some knowledge. I am quite shocked at those figures. No real knowledge of the dogs. I went once back in the early 80s I think at Wimbledon. But that was because it was part of our course at college and was free for us and compulsory. I of course knew there were protests, but just thought it was due to dogs getting killed during a race., rather like the protests in the US against horse racing. The figures are indefensible and I am surprised Rob has defended the sport. Out of pure desperation to get speedway back I guess

Tbh it can’t be long before the sport is put out of business with today’s political climate

For the record we dont eat dogs in Finland.

Yes racing greyhounds are put to sleep. So are pet dogs of any breed. We have dogs on our street that should have been put to sleep years ago, but they are pets and owners dont want to.

I’ve been to horse races where a horse fell, got injured and was shot  on scene. The horse was flown over from a different country for that one race. It was his last.

Over here if a cow (meat-to-be-eaten) is born with anykind of handicap or injury is killed immediately because it’s not worth the 100€ thats spent on born cows on the first 36 or so hours of their life...

Perspective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

Yes racing greyhounds are put to sleep. So are pet dogs of any breed. We have dogs on our street that should have been put to sleep years ago, but they are pets and owners dont want to.

I’ve been to horse races where a horse fell, got injured and was shot  on scene. The horse was flown over from a different country for that one race. It was his last.

Over here if a cow (meat-to-be-eaten) is born with anykind of handicap or injury is killed immediately because it’s not worth the 100€ thats spent on born cows on the first 36 or so hours of their life...

Perspective.

As I said when I was looking at some of the flat track stuff from the US and Canada I noticed there is a growing protest movement trying to stop horse racing, because some horses die or are put down due to injury. 
You are missing their point though. Of course pets are put down. But it is to put them out of their misery usually and are usually in a loving environment. As one or two have pointed out these dogs are bred and then put down because they have no use to the owner. That is a bit different to a pet being put down

Never even heard (should that be herd?) of cow racing. Must be a Finnish sport

8 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Perspective.

Well said.

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

As I said when I was looking at some of the flat track stuff from the US and Canada I noticed there is a growing protest movement trying to stop horse racing, because some horses die or are put down due to injury. 
You are missing their point though. Of course pets are put down. But it is to put them out of their misery usually and are usually in a loving environment. As one or two have pointed out these dogs are bred and then put down because they have no use to the owner. That is a bit different to a pet being put down

To put your pet to sleep in a loving enviroenment or not to put your pet to sleep even though its a fat bastard, over aged and has trouble walking just to keep it in the loving enviroenment YOU need. Go figure...

Take your girlfriend and come over, we have everything https://eukonkanto.fi/

Not sure we have anything with cows though... :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

To put your pet to sleep in a loving enviroenment or not to put your pet to sleep even though its a fat bastard, over aged and has trouble walking just to keep it in the loving enviroenment YOU need. Go figure...

Take your girlfriend and come over, we have everything https://eukonkanto.fi/

Not sure we have anything with cows though... :lol:

Again it isn’t about convincing me. I won’t be supporting speedway in Oxford nor will I be protesting about greyhounds. I am just shocked at those numbers, as I guess will Oxford residents reading that article. The protest movement seems to be growing, even in the stronghold of Ireland I see. Although ‘major’ seems an exaggeration 

We only have one local track and that only hosts 1 or 2 meetings a year. If I win the lottery I would love to buy it and turn it into a speedway track 

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

My Mother in Law would be a natural for Cow Racing.

Ooh I've gone all 70s Comedians there.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

The main-money will come from the 100 homes included as part of the plans, that's for sure.  But if it's used to leverage speedway and greyhounds back, that can only  be positive. Both sports are much missed in Oxford, and have been well represented in any public meeting.

On the other hand, the hypocritical PETA could not even get a single supporter to the Local Plan Hearing.  I wonder why?  

Anyway, please go and troll another section on this forum.  That's all you ever seem to do.

Troll :rofl:

Is that because it's not to your liking & kiss assing to the return of Speedway? 

We have to realists sometimes and attaching hope to Greyhound Racing is a massive mistake. 

16 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Why would the current owners sell if there was a quick £10m to be made flipping the car park into houses?

3 minutes ago, MattK said:

Why would the current owners sell if there was a quick £10m to be made flipping the car park into houses?

Because planning permission etc would only be granted subject to an agreeable & binding long term future of stadium & associated activities being finalised & implemented?

• Like 1