British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Because planning permission etc would only be granted subject to an agreeable & binding long term future of stadium & associated activities being finalised & implemented?

What's to stop the current owners complying with the above now the council have opened the door to homes being built on part of the stadium land?

1 hour ago, MattK said:

What's to stop the current owners complying with the above now the council have opened the door to homes being built on part of the stadium land?

Nothing. So long as the first part of the agreement was first fully complied with. I.e refurbishment of the stadium and suitable long term future use irrevocably established as specified. 

16 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Nothing. So long as the first part of the agreement was first fully complied with. I.e refurbishment of the stadium and suitable long term future use irrevocably established as specified. 

Do we or the council trust the present owners to do what they would have to promise based on previous events?

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Troll :rofl:

Is that because it's not to your liking & kiss assing to the return of Speedway? 

We have to realists sometimes and attaching hope to Greyhound Racing is a massive mistake. 

I thought you were the supposed King's Lynn "fan" who always attacks his own team - which does make you a troll. Always out for a reaction.  Apologies if I've mixed you up with someone else, although I don't think so.

Well, congratulations, because you did get a reaction from me, although you'll be going on ignore from now on.

5 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Because planning permission etc would only be granted subject to an agreeable & binding long term future of stadium & associated activities being finalised & implemented?

That's pretty much it.  Plus with a planning inspectorate decision behind them, the council will use a CPO if necessary to get the stadium into the hands of someone who would follow the Local Plan.

16 hours ago, 1 valve said:

It depends what the clauses are. All along the council have been adamant that no houses can be built on the land. Now they have opened the door the houses on the car park I see no reason why the current owners would sell. At very least they'll want to see what stipulations are required for the stadium to be considered "operable" in order for planning permission to be granted.

It also massive complicates a CPO as the council have massively increased the value of the car park simply by weakening their opposition towards housing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattK said:

It depends what the clauses are. All along the council have been adamant that no houses can be built on the land. Now they have opened the door the houses on the car park I see no reason why the current owners would sell. At very least they'll want to see what stipulations are required for the stadium to be considered "operable" in order for planning permission to be granted.

It also massive complicates a CPO as the council have massively increased the value of the car park simply by weakening their opposition towards housing.

All discussed at the three-hour-plus Local Plan hearing. The value of the site is its current value.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

All discussed at the three-hour-plus Local Plan hearing. The value of the site is its current value.

Hoping for the best. For too long now developers have been " railroading through" their plans using very dubious tactics & it would make a very pleasant change to see them fail in this particular case.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Hoping for the best. For too long now developers have been " railroading through" their plans using very dubious tactics & it would make a very pleasant change to see them fail in this particular case.

Yes. Where I used to live in London they got permission to build a giant supermarket and one of the conditions at first was a swimming baths for community use. They built the supermarket ok, but it took about 20 years before any baths were built and that was only part of some Virgin fitness club !!!

52 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Recall the old Grove Allen site in Cowley when it was re-developed into a retail outlet and it was stipulated that there would be no Sunday opening (before Sunday Trading laws came to the fore) to give local residents a respite. B&Q immediately opened on a Sunday and were fined a mediocre sum and continued to do so despite re-assurances put in place by the local council to the contrary.

Edited by steve roberts

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes. Where I used to live in London they got permission to build a giant supermarket and one of the conditions at first was a swimming baths for community use. They built the supermarket ok, but it took about 20 years before any baths were built and that was only part of some Virgin fitness club !!!

This is what always seems tro happen. They get their plans through by agreeing certain conditions , get their building done, and forget the bit that doesn't make them any cash. Swindon Speedway Stadium seems to be a perfect example of this situation.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

This is what always seems tro happen. They get their plans through by agreeing certain conditions , get their building done, and forget the bit that doesn't make them any cash. Swindon Speedway Stadium seems to be a perfect example of this situation.

On that subject the flats that are being built on the site of Wimbledon stadium are looking as though they will soon be finished but the area where the football stadium is going to be built is empty! I fully expect that AFC Wimbledon are going to find they don't get the stadium they have been looking forward to for the past decade. The developers have been sponsoring the football club and my bet is the sponsorship will end just before the building starts meaning AFC Wimbledon will not be able to afford it. At that point the developers will be rushing back to get a change in the planning permission so they can drop the stadium and build more flats. 

13 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

On that subject the flats that are being built on the site of Wimbledon stadium are looking as though they will soon be finished but the area where the football stadium is going to be built is empty! I fully expect that AFC Wimbledon are going to find they don't get the stadium they have been looking forward to for the past decade. The developers have been sponsoring the football club and my bet is the sponsorship will end just before the building starts meaning AFC Wimbledon will not be able to afford it. At that point the developers will be rushing back to get a change in the planning permission so they can drop the stadium and build more flats. 

I wouldn't be surprised by that either.  The problem is that the developers have been getting away with stuff like that for so long they appear to take it for granted.

Save Oxford Stadium has a new Instagram page 
This page will show pictures from all events that took place at the Stadium.
It’s on Instagram as save_oxford_stadium. Install the app to follow photos and videos.

• Like 1