British Speedway Forum

On 12/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, Chris116 said:

On that subject the flats that are being built on the site of Wimbledon stadium are looking as though they will soon be finished but the area where the football stadium is going to be built is empty! I fully expect that AFC Wimbledon are going to find they don't get the stadium they have been looking forward to for the past decade. The developers have been sponsoring the football club and my bet is the sponsorship will end just before the building starts meaning AFC Wimbledon will not be able to afford it. At that point the developers will be rushing back to get a change in the planning permission so they can drop the stadium and build more flats. 

This was the situation in November

https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/11/26/afc-wimbledons-future-in-doubt-as-new-stadium-hits-funding-crisis/

Seems they decided on fans bond to raise finance

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2020/january/stadium-update/

On 12/21/2019 at 11:53 AM, steve roberts said:

Recall the old Grove Allen site in Cowley when it was re-developed into a retail outlet and it was stipulated that there would be no Sunday opening (before Sunday Trading laws came to the fore) to give local residents a respite. B&Q immediately opened on a Sunday and were fined a mediocre sum and continued to do so despite re-assurances put in place by the local council to the contrary.

Have you seen this?    https://www.curtis-sport.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2543

• Like 1

The programmes are a great idea. The current Clubs ones really are. But the defunct ones are even better. Oxford is a must. 

12 minutes ago, craigACE said:

The programmes are a great idea. The current Clubs ones really are. But the defunct ones are even better. Oxford is a must. 

Mine arrived this morning and interesting, if a little devoid in content, but full marks to all those involved.

• Like 2

Imagine turning up for a league meeting and finding that the opposition were tracking Ivan Mauger at reserve, and he would be off a 10 yard start!

Hard to believe, but it happened to Bees once - 18 Jul 1963, at Oxford.
Result was a comfortable 44-34 win for Oxford, with Mauger top scoring with a 12 point maximum, and no.1 Ronnie Genz returning an 11 point tally.
Top Bee was Ken McKinlay with 12 from five rides, beaten twice by Mauger.

Mauger was beaten in the 2nd half by Nigel Boocock, who went on to win the Rider of the Night final.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Imagine turning up for a league meeting and finding that the opposition were tracking Ivan Mauger at reserve, and he would be off a 10 yard start!

Result was a comfortable 44-34 win for Oxford, with Mauger top scoring with a 12 point maximum, and no.1 Ronnie Genz returning an 11 point tally.

Mauger was beaten in the 2nd half by Nigel Boocock, who went on to win the Rider of the Night final.

So The Bees got stung !!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Got me thinking about past, present and future World Champions who rode for Oxford over the years? The aforementioned Ivan Mauger and, of course, Hans Nielsen. Plus Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill and Tony Rickardsson. I have a sneaking feeling that Briggo put in some second half rides as a novice as I recall my dad talking about it and Briggo falling off more often than not?

On 5/27/2020 at 8:41 AM, steve roberts said:

Got me thinking about past, present and future World Champions who rode for Oxford over the years? The aforementioned Ivan Mauger and, of course, Hans Nielsen. Plus Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill and Tony Rickardsson. I have a sneaking feeling that Briggo put in some second half rides as a novice as I recall my dad talking about it and Briggo falling off more often than not?

Hans and Erik head to head on youtube via Oxford Cheetahs channel - v Cradley 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, screm said:

Hopefully good news for Oxford

Good news indeed. Just needs someone to come forward and put some weight behind the regeneration of a once proud stadium.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Good news indeed. Just needs someone to come forward and put some weight behind the regeneration of a once proud stadium.

Isn't Barry Bishop from around those parts??

Too good for the National League!

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

Yes I believe he is?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Positive news.  Still a lot of work to do of course, but getting speedway back into Oxford would be a major coup.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HGould said:

Yes I am.. Oxford is my local club.