British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the last ever top flight meeting there in 2007. Despite it being a local derby against Reading, the crowd was awful.

The last one was v Swindon ...i think .. lets be honest the last  4 people who ran it lost money even when they won the  league . cant see any sense in opening hardly any closed down track unless you like given money away .

3 minutes ago, orion said:

The last one was v Swindon ...i think .. lets be honest the last  4 people who ran it lost money even when they won the  league . cant see any sense in opening hardly any closed down track unless you like given money away .

Swindon was 18/5 and Reading was 28/5 with Belle Vue Sandwiched in the middle. I just checked this on the speedway updates site.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Swindon was 18/5 and Reading was 28/5 with Belle Vue Sandwiched in the middle. I just checked this on the speedway updates site.

Ok .. memory playing tricks on me 

It was on BBC South 6.30 News that the owners of Oxford Stadium have put it up for sale. Could this mean they are fishing for a better deal that NicK Burdir is offering. Nothing on the Oxford Mail site. Hopefully it means the current holders have finally given up on building houses on the site. If this means the stadium is saved it will be second time it has escaped from the developers the first being in the winter of 1975/76 when the SOS with the late Bernard Crapper being one of the commitee leaders.

21 minutes ago, Rosie76 said:

It was on BBC South 6.30 News that the owners of Oxford Stadium have put it up for sale. Could this mean they are fishing for a better deal that NicK Burdir is offering. Nothing on the Oxford Mail site. Hopefully it means the current holders have finally given up on building houses on the site. If this means the stadium is saved it will be second time it has escaped from the developers the first being in the winter of 1975/76 when the SOS with the late Bernard Crapper being one of the commitee leaders.

My uncle was also part of the SOS committee back in 1976...let's hope for good news!

BBC South reported it again on the late bulletin, but can’t find anything anywhere else. They mentioned that the stadium would need more than just speedway and greyhounds 

• Like 1

The man who wants to buy the stadium Nick Budir was on Radio Oxford in the summer, he wants a 24/7 venue. When Nick outlined what he had planned last year he showed a book of his plans that was impressive. The book included a page by Hans Nielsen supporting his plans. Nick is a dog owner but said he would look for a Speedway promoter he seemed confident that there were people interested in taking the role on.

I had not remembered your uncle Keith was on the committe but I remember him doing the photos 76 time. I come from Abingdon, during the SOS my dad realised he drank in the same place as Bernard Craper and they were both photographers. They became good friends and Bernard got me to run a junior supporters club part of this involved me selling rosettes, I am wondering if your uncle took some of the photos for the rosettes or whether it was Mike Patrick. I notice your uncle has produced some books in recent years, did he disappear from the speedway scene for a while between the late 70's and the book publications?

Edited by Rosie76
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Midland Red said:

BBC South reported it again on the late bulletin, but can’t find anything anywhere else. They mentioned that the stadium would need more than just speedway and greyhounds 

Will be Kevin boothby after the track ,had a meeting there fortnight ago with track owners and members off sis

If you go to the Save Oxford Stadium YouTube channel a recording of the interview has been posted. I tried to copy the link but cant get it to paste, maybe some copyright issue, or me not doing it right

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hilly said:

Hear and smell it from Headington?

Good luck with the plans!

While its obvious that spending a fortune reopening the stadium just for greyhounds and speedway wouldn't be financially viable, making full use of the facilities by having other events can make it just about pay?

Detractors of the plans need to realise that most professional clubs in the Worlds most popular game football run at a loss but there existance is justified by the community values of them, job prospects and the money they generate for local businesses on matchdays. - Society need outlets, its not feasible to just cover the Country in swathes of cheaply built new housing without facilities for the communities. - a reopened, renovated Oxford Stadium would be a great community asset even if it didn't generate a fortune for the owners!    

• Like 4

Fingers crossed that we do get speedway back at Oxford, but the thing that puzzles me is where will everyone park, if it's proposed that around 100 houses/flats be built on the car park.   

• Like 1