British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Nice to see a bit of humour on BSF for a change!!

Yeah a lot of different posters chipping in too

• Like 1

Is the track still in Sandy 'Lyle' Lane ? B)

Getting back to the serious side I attended the public meetings regarding the stadium last year. Parking issues were discussed. I seem to remember  there would still be some parking so that would probably cover people with walking difficulties. If somewhere such as Unipart was used then proper transport not golf carts would be used. Nick Burdir the proposed buyer even said a small muti storey could be considered on site. There is a railway line behind the back straight, a station there was mentioned as a possibility. Nick would need to act on the parking issues as his company would be running the dogs so he would have the same parking issues as the speedway promoter. Building houses on part of the current parking area is important as it generates income to pay for bringing the stadium back to a useable standard. It also helps the City Council with its  housing shortage. Without the support of the council and its former MP (who still supports the campaign although now retired) have given the stadium would be long gone. The City Council also has a green policy so that would be why public transport is probably part of the plan.

The biggest negativty should be the concern that the current owners of the site will actually go through with the sale.

By the way see my comments on page 20 regarding the impressive plans which the proposed owner says he has secured the funding for. These plans include moving the pits to the second bend along with renewing the kennels. already there, For some reason my comments got delayed and when they appeared others had posted afterwards so readers may have missed them. Steve Roberts you will see I asked about your uncle on page 20.

if you want to keep the humor of a golf theme going lets hope the plans dont get stuck in the bunker or I think their is considerable drive to get these plans through. By the way was does a golfer wear two pairs of trousers? In case he gets a hole in one.

Edited by Rosie76
Exrra thought
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 12:10 AM, Rosie76 said:

I had not remembered your uncle Keith was on the committe but I remember him doing the photos 76 time. I come from Abingdon, during the SOS my dad realised he drank in the same place as Bernard Craper and they were both photographers. They became good friends and Bernard got me to run a junior supporters club part of this involved me selling rosettes, I am wondering if your uncle took some of the photos for the rosettes or whether it was Mike Patrick. I notice your uncle has produced some books in recent years, did he disappear from the speedway scene for a while between the late 70's and the book publications?

Just caught up with this one. Keith was the photographer during the season 1974/75 & 76 and, yes has published three books with many of his photos included. Some of his photos appeared in the track shop at Oxford during that time but I think that Mike soon took over?  He drifted away from the sport and moved to Weymouth and then Poole many years ago but has become pro-active again on various facebook sites and was at Cowley last year when Dag Lovaas returned to Oxford on a short visit.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:13 PM, Triple.H. said:

They could speak with Fore other Clubs to help Iron out the problems. Wood ent it be good to see.

The last thing a club needs, is to drive a wedge between itself and supporters who are feeling below par

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:18 PM, Triple.H. said:

How long did it take them to find a Driver

Boom Boom

golf buggy driver available from Jan 21st 2021 .a sound reliable person and has lots of experience driving golf buggies .travelling could be a prob tho . .

hope your dream comes true .

Edited by jenga

I used to follow Oxford with great interest. An old friend of mine - the late George Bason - was among the 1939 pioneer riders at the track.

However, I aways have misgivings when a see enthusiasm for a track that has long been closed linked with a possible 'future return.' I seem to recall that when the Oxford track closed for speedway there was concern about dwindling attendances?

Now - is it 10 years later - there is hope for a return there - in an era when interest for speedway nationwide is sadly much diminished. Just how many of the old hardcore supporters are there? Possibly about 200? More importantly is there locally a new generation who are interested and care about an Oxford speedway revival?

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Great news for Oxford. Sad to read Henlow is closing though, just down the road from me. 

Apparantly Henlow is currently having a new lease negotiated