British Speedway Forum

Is there any chance the speedway track could be widened at all? I know there is Kart track on the centre green and dog track on the outside but even if its only half a metre on the inside of the corner its worth doing.

Edited by eric i

2 hours ago, eric i said:

Is there any chance the speedway track could be widened at all? I know there is Kart track on the centre green and dog track on the outside but even if its only half a metre on the inside of the corner its worth doing.

Certainly when Hans joined the "Cheetahs" the entrance and exit to the bends were brought in.

Can be done easily if the drainage is not to close to the kerbs , think also they would have to put in a new 5ft fence for speedway to return.  If they did take the corners in ,it could be a great race track with lots of lines.

My brother has been sending me some great images of work in progress at Cowley Stadium. Unfortunately I'm unable to download picturs but it all looks very promising!

• Like 2

On 2/24/2017 at 4:40 PM, Norfolk Bear said:

Why has no promoter looked at reviving this venue where it appears that the Council actually want it re opening ?

Would you put up the finance with the VSPL on board?

Some really excellent work going on at the stadium, which I’ve been proud to be apart of. 

For those not following the progress on Facebook, here is a recent image of the current status of the track 

0E2D4B0C-DADF-4291-B548-E30926BC2034.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Matt Davis said:

Some really excellent work going on at the stadium, which I’ve been proud to be apart of. 

For those not following the progress on Facebook, here is a recent image of the current status of the track 

0E2D4B0C-DADF-4291-B548-E30926BC2034.jpeg

Well done Matt! remember you from my Oxford days! Have you still got the Cheetahs Skol jacket I gave you?

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Well done Matt! remember you from my Oxford days! Have you still got the Cheetahs Skol jacket I gave you?

Yes absolutely still got it!

I remember you well Steve, been a few years now! It’s been great fun using the digger to clear the track along amongst other jobs, along with the other volunteers and full time staff  :)

Who would’ve thought it all those years ago when I walked round to the third bend to meet you as a 14? year old boy!

Edited by Matt Davis

7 hours ago, Matt Davis said:

Yes absolutely still got it!

I remember you well Steve, been a few years now! It’s been great fun using the digger to clear the track along amongst other jobs, along with the other volunteers and full time staff  :)

Who would’ve thought it all those years ago when I walked round to the third bend to meet you as a 14? year old boy!

Yes it all seems so long ago now! If I was still living in Oxford I would be there helping out like a shot. I did get involved during the last "Save Our Stadium" campaign in 1976!

Keep up the good work! I've seen many photos of the work being done and it's a great credit to you all!

Take care!

This is very heart warming, on the fact of it everything is still pretty much in place, a bit more work and you could run practice on that track no problem.

• Like 4

Guest compost

Can't tell from that picture but is there any track (Speedway) lighting ?

1 hour ago, compost said:

Can't tell from that picture but is there any track (Speedway) lighting ?

Yes there are, we tried the lights on the first and second bend a few weeks back and 8 of them even still work!

• Like 1