Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I wonder if someone will promote at Oxford.

What capital costs would be needed to get it ready?

Air Fence, track prep vehicles, electrical work. 

59 minutes ago, orion said:

Dont agree 90 % will never go again and the other 10 % every now and again ....What forum members on here from Newport ,Reading .Cov or Oxford still post on here and went to Swindon each week ?  i made friends with a quite a few from my time on here and none go on a regular basis most not at all and some may go to cardiff and take in the odd match .

If Swindon close and that is likely none of  are group will go elsewhere each week 

Most of the handful of ex-Racers supporters that regularly went to Blunsdon would probably find it easier to support Oxford, whereas most of us went to Swindon to support the visitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I would have continued going to Oxford for as long as it was operating as it was only a short walk for me. Since re-locating to York I've not been to a speedway (nearest being Sheffield I would guess?) as I would expect more than just 15 heats of racing to entice me to spend petrol money and time spent travelling.

Depending on which part of York you live, Redcar is up to 5 miles nearer than Sheffield (54miles v 49miles approx). Maybe you should give yourself a treat, and visit Redcar. It might rekindle your interest in the sport.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, arnieg said:

Most of the handful of ex-Racers supporters that regularly went to Blunsdon would probably find it easier to support Oxford, whereas most of us went to Swindon to support the visitors.

I already know of six people ex-racers fans who have said they will be buying Oxford season tickets. 

• Like 2

I'm overjoyed for you all at Oxford to see that you are on the brink of winning your long hard-won fight. It gives inspiration to all of facing similar battles. I so look forward to visiting Cowley next year. This wasn't just Oxford's fight. 

Well done. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

And me.  Like at Scunny, Redcar & Leicester (& others I've forgotten) before, shows if one never gives up it can be done....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J-D said:

I already know of six people ex-racers fans who have said they will be buying Oxford season tickets. 

I may well buy a season ticket but unfortunately living so far away I won't be able to attend most, if any, meetings but at least I can support them financially.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that it comes off. Cowley was one of my regular haunts right up until 2007. We are desperate for another track in the south.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, steve roberts said:

I would have continued going to Oxford for as long as it was operating as it was only a short walk for me. Since re-locating to York I've not been to a speedway (nearest being Sheffield I would guess?) as I would expect more than just 15 heats of racing to entice me to spend petrol money and time spent travelling.

Redcar (Middlesbrough, in all but name) is about the same driving time from York (on quieter roads, too). Scunthorpe's a little further. Both much better racetracks (purpose-built, you see) than Owlerton, where spectator viewing has been ruined by the loss of the first bend terrace (and the continued closure of the back straight terrace).

Out of interest, over and above the 15 heats of racing, what additional entertainment would you be looking for?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

1 hour ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Redcar (Middlesbrough, in all but name) is about the same driving time from York (on quieter roads, too). Scunthorpe's a little further. Both much better racetracks (purpose-built, you see) than Owlerton, where spectator viewing has been ruined by the loss of the first bend terrace (and the continued closure of the back straight terrace).

Out of interest, over and above the 15 heats of racing, what additional entertainment would you be looking for?

I used to enjoy second halves whether it be those taking part within the main match or a junior meeting...whichever.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Be great to go back to Cowley that could be my only speedway fix depending on Swindon of course.Fingers crossed that everything goes well for the new promotion maybe they could become part of one big league that has to happen soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Be great to go back to Cowley that could be my only speedway fix depending on Swindon of course.Fingers crossed that everything goes well for the new promotion maybe they could become part of one big league that has to happen soon.

How great it would be to stand on the third bend as of old however most of those I stood with are no longer with us including my much missed Dad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1