British Speedway Forum

Lets hope Oxford return next season and as the Cheetahs AND in a sustainable League, please authorities don't push a new Oxford set up straight into the top flight to help prop it up!

White City Rebels only lasted 3 seasons in front unviable crowds!

Boston Barracuda Braves opened in 2000 using King's Lynn as their home base. Barracudas was the great original name of Bostons speedway team that ran in the town at New Hammond Beck Road from 1970 - 1987. The Braves nickname originated at Skegness in 1997 and 98. When speedway finally finished in 1998 they decamped to King's Lynn where they became the Norfolk Braves. In 1999 they metamophosised into the King's Lynn Braves. In an attempt to gauge interest in building a new track in Boston the same promotion with a couple of additional investors created the Boston Barracuda Braves!

The most successful  team to have taken another teams nickname is King's Lynn Stars who opened in 1965 after the 1964 closure of the Norwich Stars!

4 hours ago, BobC said:

Excellent that the Cheetahs appear to be on the road to a comeback. Really enjoyed the 2007 NL season.

Glad you mention Mike Kilby. Swindon v Poole mid 70's. Before this, Martin Ashby v Tommy Jansson in the Golden Helmet. Great times.  Mike had gone home after the Helmet races  and before Ht8 and had returned with photos from that!

As you say, great photos and smashing family.

Yes i remember both the Golden Helmet meeting’s in 1976  Bob, Crash  beat Simmo ( RIP) 2.0 in both the home and away legs.Also in the Swindon v Sheffield fixture crash beat the great Tommy  Jansson 2.0 ( RIP) to force a decider at Cradley.. Tommy  ended up winning it  2.1 great days, i  remember getting Tommy’s autograph and him staying and  riding in the second half..Remember those days well Bob, we rode Poole in the Champagne stakes and we had a few challenge matches as well with the league fixture  so we got to see quite a bit of Poole in which invited good crowds.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Lets hope Oxford return next season and as the Cheetahs AND in a sustainable League, please authorities don't push a new Oxford set up straight into the top flight to help prop it up!

White City Rebels only lasted 3 seasons in front unviable crowds!

Boston Barracuda Braves opened in 2000 using King's Lynn as their home base. Barracudas was the great original name of Bostons speedway team that ran in the town at New Hammond Beck Road from 1970 - 1987. The Braves nickname originated at Skegness in 1997 and 98. When speedway finally finished in 1998 they decamped to King's Lynn where they became the Norfolk Braves. In 1999 they metamophosised into the King's Lynn Braves. In an attempt to gauge interest in building a new track in Boston the same promotion with a couple of additional investors created the Boston Barracuda Braves!

The most successful  team to have taken another teams nickname is King's Lynn Stars who opened in 1965 after the 1964 closure of the Norwich Stars!

The trouble was that Wood Lane was a vast stadium and it was never going to attract enough support like anything that was hoped for...although, by all accounts, the crowd wasn't that bad it just felt lost in the vastness of the place. Probably wouldn't have been so bad in a stadium akin to the usual run of the mill arenas.

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes please we have to embrace change Steve.

Meet you half way Sid...the Oxford "Budgies" then! :D

• Thanks 1

Just now, steve roberts said:

Meet you half way Sid...the Oxford "Budgies" then! :D

That sounds great       in all seriousness  though it has to be the Cheetahs Steve.  And if Swindon don’t start and  certain circumstances allow maybe a few Robins riders might get a place there in time.I personally don’t care who rides i will be there whatever level they ride at be great to see the track back up and running.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

How about Reading Racers, who took their nickname from defunct Harringay.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

That sounds great       in all seriousness  though it has to be the Cheetahs Steve.  And if Swindon don’t start and  certain circumstances allow maybe a few Robins riders might get a place there in time.I personally don’t care who rides i will be there whatever level they ride at be great to see the track back up and running.

I'd agree Sid....remember "The Silver Machine"? Damn awful name but If I recall Nigel Wagstaff's hands were tied as regards using the name "Cheetahs".

Remember one Ipswich programme that carried the name on the front cover as Oxford "Cheatahs"...most original!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Maybe Oxford will be sensible and join a league with other like minded clubs who are sick of having thier own destiny decided for them......a destiny that is proving time and time again to be closure 

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Looks like a perfect club to start in the NDL (not the current version but the previous one)..

Get that "fan bounce", desperate to see Oxford back, without the costs of Pro Heat Leaders, meaning they can charge an admission fee that isnt knocking around the twenty quid mark.. 

I would suggest looking at the disparity in Div 2 between the teams, circa half of Div 2, (and maybe Mildenhall and the IOW?), would see the "old NDL" as something worth trying...?

The league pre Covid seemed to be the most viable, and delivered the best value for money.. 

• Like 2

One thing this shows is how important Greyhound racing can be to Speedway still . Its given a chance for the stadium to open  and then allow speedway to be  ran in it .

Just go's to show how  crazy  that anti Greyhound  nut job at swindon who trying to shut the dogs down  saying it would  help speedway was 

Edited by orion
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The trouble was that Wood Lane was a vast stadium and it was never going to attract enough support like anything that was hoped for...although, by all accounts, the crowd wasn't that bad it just felt lost in the vastness of the place. Probably wouldn't have been so bad in a stadium akin to the usual run of the mill arenas.

I saw Wolves at Hampden Park which was even worse (never saw Wolves at Wembley which would have been quite something )

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Looks like a perfect club to start in the NDL (not the current version but the previous one)..

Get that "fan bounce", desperate to see Oxford back, without the costs of Pro Heat Leaders, meaning they can charge an admission fee that isnt knocking around the twenty quid mark.. 

I would suggest looking at the disparity in Div 2 between the teams, circa half of Div 2, (and maybe Mildenhall and the IOW?), would see the "old NDL" as something worth trying...?

The league pre Covid seemed to be the most viable, and delivered the best value for money.. 

Haven't IOW been riding against Oxford Cheetahs on the Island?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Haven't IOW been riding against Oxford Cheetahs on the Island?

Perhaps it could signal the start of a more formal breakaway from the establishment 

• Like 3