Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I believe he is?

Correct... Oxford is my local club

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Correct... Oxford is my local club

You may possibly know my uncle Keith Lawson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

You may possibly know my uncle Keith Lawson?

name doesnt ring a bell.. but I am useless like that... probably know him by face :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

name doesnt ring a bell.. but I am useless like that... probably know him by face :)

 

He used to be the track photographer and was present at the stadium when Dag Lovaas made a fleeting visit last year?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good interview on BBC Radio Oxford this morning featuring Nik Budimir - the potential stadium developer whose intention is to make the stadium facility usable 24/7 and is asking the people of Oxford (Cowley) what other regular sports/activities they would like to see at the stadium in addition to the 2 core sports - speedway and greyhounds!!

Karting, Cycle speedway were mentioned as well as indoor activities including conferencing, dance classes etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

The 27 (so far) comments aren’t very encouraging 

I sincerely hope that some sort of action returns to Cowley as I spent many a happy year there but during these uncertain times, both externally and within speedway, I really wouldn't like to hazzard a guess what might be the future however I wish everyone success who is involved behind the scenes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I sincerely hope that some sort of action returns to Cowley as I spent many a happy year there but during these uncertain times, both externally and within speedway, I really wouldn't like to hazzard a guess what might be the future however I wish everyone success who is involved behind the scenes.

Absolutely. It's going to be a big struggle to save some of the current venues. Fair play to anyone trying to resurrect defunct clubs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news.

there has been a long battle which looks more positive now.

pleased for Oxford and plaudits to the Council who are backing a Speedway return.... many councils are now quite anti Speedway 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How on earth can speedway and Greyhound racing make a profit these days .. i am a fan of both sports and wish them all the best but if its based of profit it wont work .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, orion said:

How on earth can speedway and Greyhound racing make a profit these days .. i am a fan of both sports and wish them all the best but if its based of profit it wont work .

The BSPA should pay Oxford City Council to share that report, as no one in speedway has been able to consistent make a profit over the last decade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Youtube now is a full BV v Oxford match from 88..

Hans, Wiggy, Cox and Dugard etc..

The crowd looks 'huge' in comparison to the final days there.. :unsure:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikebv said:

On Youtube now is a full BV v Oxford match from 88..

Hans, Wiggy, Cox and Dugard etc..

The crowd looks 'huge' in comparison to the final days there.. :unsure:

I went to the last ever top flight meeting there in 2007. Despite it being a local derby against Reading, the crowd was awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the last ever top flight meeting there in 2007. Despite it being a local derby against Reading, the crowd was awful.

I was no longer an attendee after re-locating some years previous and I have to say that the team in the last couple of years was pretty dire. and the whole Rickardsson thing left a sour taste in one's mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy