British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

How great it would be to stand on the third bend as of old however most of those I stood with are no longer with us including my much missed Dad.

I actually loved Oxford’s track shop a terrific shop on bend two so that is where  i watched   mainly  got quite a bit of my memorabilia from there.My first time there i think was for the Individual champions meeting and  in the Hans era we used to go in the brilliant new restaurant .This was a real eye opener for me after being used to the shabby saying that you always got a good meal in the restaurant at Swindon.Also in the window leading up to the restaurant Mick Kilby sold some of his photographs there were some of the best  photographs i have ever seen.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Just out of interest are there any more pictures of how the work on stadium and track are progressing?

13 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Just out of interest are there any more pictures of how the work on stadium and track are progressing?

I saw photos of speedway bikes down there the other week. 

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I actually loved Oxford’s track shop a terrific shop on bend two so that is where  i watched   mainly  got quite a bit of my memorabilia from there.My first time there i think was for the Individual champions meeting and  in the Hans era we used to go in the brilliant new restaurant .This was a real eye opener for me after being used to the shabby saying that you always got a good meal in the restaurant at Swindon.Also in the window leading up to the restaurant Mick Kilby sold some of his photographs there were some of the best  photographs i have ever seen.

Excellent that the Cheetahs appear to be on the road to a comeback. Really enjoyed the 2007 NL season.

Glad you mention Mike Kilby. Swindon v Poole mid 70's. Before this, Martin Ashby v Tommy Jansson in the Golden Helmet. Great times.  Mike had gone home after the Helmet races  and before Ht8 and had returned with photos from that!

As you say, great photos and smashing family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"Oxford Robins "  has a certain tweet to it ..... why bother with Blunsdon Building Site ?

Leigh Adams rode for both, Legend :t:

20 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"Oxford Robins "  has a certain tweet to it ..... why bother with Blunsdon Building Site ?

Good grief nooooo!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Good grief nooooo!

I agree. That just wouldn't work. Remember the Eastbourne Dons?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I agree. That just wouldn't work. Remember the Eastbourne Dons?

West Ham Bombers was bad enough!

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

West Ham Bombers was bad enough!

White City Rebels kind of worked though. Maybe because it wasn't Oxford's traditional nickname.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

White City Rebels kind of worked though. Maybe because it wasn't Oxford's traditional nickname.

I never liked Hackney Kestrels either!

Scottish Monarchs never worked or caught the imagination of either Glasgow or Edinburgh fans.

Boston Barracuda-Braves. Who thought a double barrelled nickname was a good idea?