British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Perhaps it could signal the start of a more formal breakaway from the establishment 

That's what I was thinking...

• Like 1

It's like the BSPL banning nomadic teams unless they're making major inroads into getting a new track. 

I would think keeping fans of defunct tracks interested in the sport is a good idea.

When was the last time, pre Covid-19 that any team soldout the capacity of the stadium for a league or Cup match ?

22 hours ago, Grachan said:

How about Reading Racers, who took their nickname from defunct Harringay.

Reading packed up in 2008 and for the last 15 years they ran, the speedway didn't attract very good crowds most of the time with the greyhounds subsidising it.

That said I'd love speedway to return to Reading, has Smallmead been developed yet? 

23 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

That said I'd love speedway to return to Reading, has Smallmead been developed yet? 

Look on Google maps. The outline of the track is as clear as anything...

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Passed the site of the track a couple of weeks ago and it is an overgrown area.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Look on Google maps. The outline of the track is as clear as anything...

Could be drone footage of Boris Johnsons head

An overgrown area covering an unused facility

• Haha 5

On 9/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, Triple.H. said:

It's like the BSPL banning nomadic teams unless they're making major inroads into getting a new track. 

I would think keeping fans of defunct tracks interested in the sport is a good idea.

When was the last time, pre Covid-19 that any team soldout the capacity of the stadium for a league or Cup match ?

Don't know about capacity, but 2007/9 Grand Finals v. Cov and Wolves the Shabbey had crowds of over 5000, with hundreds of away fans. The 2012/ 17/19 finals v. Poole, Wolves, Ipswich were not as well attended, probably not much higher than some league matches, it was quoted between 3000-3500 for the three. Around a third of fans lost to the sport. Very few away fans at the last two finals. In ten years hundreds had lost interest with the ever weakening line-ups, and promoters increasing admission prices almost every year to cover falling attendances.

The biggest crowd I've seen there in the last ten years was when they charged a fiver admission.

I remember a 4's tournament could have been 10 years ago? Swindon, Oxford, Reading, Cradley?, well attended, a few from Oxford and Reading there.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 2:03 PM, Trackerman48 said:

Just out of interest are there any more pictures of how the work on stadium and track are progressing?

I am making a visit this week to do a bit of track work so I will take some photos 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt Davis said:

I am making a visit this week to do a bit of track work so I will take some photos 

OK thanks would be good to see some photos. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, iainb said:

Haven't IOW been riding against Oxford Cheetahs on the Island?

Yes we have staged a really successful and pretty high profile in Oxford 3TT over the summer with Oxford, Cradley and the Isle of Wight. Every meeting was really entertaining and certainly got the media responses I am sure Oxford (and the BSPL) would have hoped for in the push to return to sport to Cowley.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

Yes we have staged a really successful and pretty high profile in Oxford 3TT over the summer with Oxford, Cradley and the Isle of Wight. Every meeting was really entertaining and certainly got the media responses I am sure Oxford (and the BSPL) would have hoped for in the push to return to sport to Cowley.

Hey Barry, can you and Martin work your magic with a Long Eaton represented team next season. Mind you, you would sadly need your bulldozer to knock down the housing estate that was built on top the stadium on Station Road.

Edited by PirateShip

1 minute ago, PirateShip said:

Hey Barry, can you and Martin work your magic with a Long Eaton represented team next season. Mind you, you would sadly need your bulldozer to knock down the housing estate that was built on top the stadium on Station Road.

I am absolutely sure Martin (and me) would love to do that. :) Long Eaton was Martin's team

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, barrybishop said:

I am absolutely sure Martin (and me) would love to do that. :) Long Eaton was Martin's team

Brilliant, I'll be seeing him next Tuesday at the Long Eaton sos. He's a top fella :t:

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:21 PM, Trackerman48 said:

OK thanks would be good to see some photos. 

E5FAEFB2-5044-4845-AA8E-B7FA6EE6FDF9.jpeg

3BB9653F-647C-43C7-824E-CDC08B5AF20D.jpeg

• Like 2