British Speedway Forum

Oxford and Swindon speedway are completely independent, and there's a 45-minute journey between the two. The return of one does not affect the other.

All the best

Rob

Oxford and Swindon speedway are completely independent, and there's a 45-minute journey between the two. The return of one does not affect the other.

All the best

Rob

i think the inference was that for the dogs that wouldnt be the same.

Hence dogs at Oxford could mean no dogs at Swindon.

No dogs could mean no stadium and no speedway at Swindon.

Thats the thought pattern I saw in the posts.

• Like 4

All the best

Rob

You're correct , Ashfield and Armadale is about the same 45 minutes apart , so that shouldn't be an issue unless they planned to race on the same night .

• Like 2

Dont get it. How long does it take to knock up a few dogs? A couple of years before they are old enough to race?

around 90% of greyhounds that race in england come from ireland steve,where they are bred,reared and schooled before being sold to england,and ironically the irish breeding is in decline,they have their own problems.there is now only one track open in the capital city dublin,and strong rumours about several provincial tracks closing. as post57 says speedway and greyhounds share a path.the common enemy of both sports has been the developer.

All the best

Rob

the point is rob if stadia uk move their greyhound operation from swindon to oxford do you think they would build a new stadium at swindon solely for swindon robins?? quite honestly theres no chance.however its not certain stadia uk would "get" oxford stadium as i understand there are at least 4 prospective greyhound promoters with their hat in the ring to take it on,and the owners of course are still determined to filll it with houses

Dont get it. How long does it take to knock up a few dogs? A couple of years before they are old enough to race?

Another intelligent contribution from Mr Shoveller

• Like 1

the point is rob if stadia uk move their greyhound operation from swindon to oxford do you think they would build a new stadium at swindon solely for swindon robins?? quite honestly theres no chance.however its not certain stadia uk would "get" oxford stadium as i understand there are at least 4 prospective greyhound promoters with their hat in the ring to take it on,and the owners of course are still determined to filll it with houses

It's not Stadia UK who are looking to buy Oxford Stadium. If you read the article, it's a consortium of fans.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

rob i certainly never said stadia uk were looking to buy oxford stadium they would look for lease to run the dogs,doesnt the consortium of fans plan rely on the council purchasing the site via the community purchase order? the owners who really are galliards in disguise are very powerfull, lots of clout and would surely fight that proposal vigorously

Another intelligent contribution from Mr Shoveller

He knows not what he says!

rob i certainly never said stadia uk were looking to buy oxford stadium they would look for lease to run the dogs

That would make no sense. Stadia UK have a commitment to build a stadium in Swindon - how would leasing the dogs elsewhere release them from the commitment they have with the council in Swindon?

Oxford and Swindon have both staged greyhounds independently - there's no more link between the greyhounds at the two tracks than the speedway.

All the best

Rob

That would make no sense. Stadia UK have a commitment to build a stadium in Swindon - how would leasing the dogs elsewhere release them from the commitment they have with the council in Swindon?

Oxford and Swindon have both staged greyhounds independently - there's no more link between the greyhounds at the two tracks than the speedway.

All the best

Rob

Stadia may have a "commitment" but that does not mean they will build one, the new stadium being built has been dragging on for years now and one of the worries must be that as more people move in the more people there are to possibly object to the stadium.

If Stadia did look at using Oxford and offered to let speedway use Oxford, Swindon Council might forget the requirement on Stadia to provide a stadium at Blunsdon.

As far as Oxford stadium is concerned It would be great if both Swindon and Oxford had speedway tracks.

What is that supposed to mean? Sorry for being pleased to potentially see another team return to the sport! What's that got to do with Swindon?[/quote

Don't be thick!! Stadia U.K. showing an interest in Oxford apparently while they drag there heels at Swindon, the old stadium won't be there for much longer probably this season at most and the so called new one won't ever be built especially if GI and Stadia U.K. move in on a ready made replacement at Oxford as at the end of the day all they want is a venue for dog racing nothing else

i think the inference was that for the dogs that wouldnt be the same.

Hence dogs at Oxford could mean no dogs at Swindon.

No dogs could mean no stadium and no speedway at Swindon.

Thats the thought pattern I saw in the posts.

Thank you I'm glad your not thick like some on here!!!!

the simple reasoning is that both swindon and oxford are or were both principally dog tracks and there are now not enough dogs around to support racing at both tracks(remember around 100 dog tracks have closed in the last 30 yrs) so unfortunately it would be swindon or oxford tragically not both

Clark Osbourne only requires a venue for dogs and he certainly wouldn't be interested in two

if speedway ever returns to oxford it will be an oxford team not a swindon team

Yeah we know! That's the whole point , but GI and Stadia uk couldn't give a flying one about speedway which still puts speedway in either location in serious doubt

All the best

Rob

It does if Stadia uk get involved at Oxford , would mean they wouldn't require a dog stadium in Swindon or more the point the expense of a new build , they will merely knock down the old one and build more houses plus extra on the land supposedly allocated for the imaginary new stadium

using a Speedway analogy - the dog has to come from the right stock (bike/engine manufacturer) and the better ones cost more.

You need the right kennells (workshop) and training (tuning) and food/consumables (fuel/tyres) again the best cost more.

If crowds are falling and costs are rising (applicable to both) then thats why less breed/compete (buy bike/race) which means fewer tracks are viable (applicable to both)

Just breeding a few mongrels wouldnt automatically mean more tracks are viable.

I love the analogies - brilliant. :t::approve:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What is that supposed to mean? Sorry for being pleased to potentially see another team return to the sport! What's that got to do with Swindon?[/quote

Don't be thick!! Stadia U.K. showing an interest in Oxford apparently while they drag there heels at Swindon, the old stadium won't be there for much longer probably this season at most and the so called new one won't ever be built especially if GI and Stadia U.K. move in on a ready made replacement at Oxford as at the end of the day all they want is a venue for dog racing nothing else

Thank you I'm glad your not thick like some on here!!!!

Clark Osbourne only requires a venue for dogs and he certainly wouldn't be interested in two

Yeah we know! That's the whole point , but GI and Stadia uk couldn't give a flying one about speedway which still puts speedway in either location in serious doubt

It does if Stadia uk get involved at Oxford , would mean they wouldn't require a dog stadium in Swindon or more the point the expense of a new build , they will merely knock down the old one and build more houses plus extra on the land supposedly allocated for the imaginary new stadium

I'm confused! Where has there ever been any connection between GI/Stadia UK and the re opening of Oxford??

There hasn't - other than someone posting that Bill Glass (Swindon Stadium GM) had been spotted looking at the Oxford site! No way of knowing if that's true or not unless you happen to be Bill Glass!!

If I've understood the Oxford Mail story correctly, it is a consortium of fans and business men who are in talks with the Council about forming a 'Social Enterprise' to bring back Speedway and Greyhounds. I may be wrong but I believe a 'Social Enterprise' has to be run on a sound business footing (ie with an acceptable and approved Business Plan) but can also be a 'not-for-profit' or 'charitable' trust set-up.

Edited by Skidder1