British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MMX Events

The Darcy Ward Invitational 2017 - Poole

A speedway meeting is a speedway meeting. Fans pay to attend to watch however many heats are scheduled.

Just because its a benefit meeting, all funds should be refunded and then meeting restaged at another stage

I do agree with some that just because this is darcy ward, fans should still be treated the same as they should if a league meeting is postponed.

If the track was that dodgy it should never have started, a fast one has been pulled similar to the belle vue opening night last year.

I suppose it was bound to be linked to last year @ BV sooner or later but there are plenty of differences, the main one being that riders actually rode on the BV track in the days prior and it was deemed fit. BV also offered and honoured all refunds.

Anyway, both episodes are bad for the sport and it seems clear that nobody is learning any lessons.

Knowing earlier in the week that there were spongy patches any professional promotion, certainly one putting the interests of fans first, would have tested the track to ensure that they had dried out. Either they didn't bother or failed to test it properly.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

It was interesting listening to Ole Olsen during his evening at Wolves with Nigel Pearson the other evening (on DVD) as he said one of the biggest changes in speedway is that nowadays the riders think it's all about them when actually it's about the spectators - treat them right, more will come and then the riders will benefit. There's a lot of truth in that. Many of these so called unfit tracks can be ridden, people just need to be sensible - they used to ride on some real awful ones years ago and as we know, the speeds haven't changed a great deal. Speedway should think more about this because cancelled meetings are killing the sport.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 2

I wasn't at Poole last night, but I was at Belle Vue for the Peter Craven Memorial last year, but despite that I feel more disappointed about last night.

Poole is an established track and the staff should KNOW when a track isn't fit for riding. Belle Vue was a first, the unknown.

But Poole still happily took the money from all those supporters that travelled from up and down the country.

Reading back on the Peter Craven thread from last year, there are some wonderful comments from Starman regarding what went on, I wonder what his explanation will be after this?

• Like 1

@davidwatt24

Nice to hear everyone being so understanding about the track last night. I hope you're all this understanding when it's a league meeting !

Darcy has tweeted that he is talking with Poole speedway about some kind of refund/discount he at least he is listening to the fans.

Darcy Ward #

Trying to sort something out for fans after last night. Was such a shame but me n Poole speedway are working together #speedway

So anyone who wants a refund hang onto your tickets, if you still have them you never know.

• Like 4

Darcy has tweeted that he is talking with Poole speedway about some kind of refund/discount he at least he is listening to the fans.

So anyone who wants a refund hang onto your tickets, if you still have them you never know.

Good on Darcy for doing the honourable thing

• Like 2

Good for Darcy just a shame we can't raise money to perhaps tempt Shovlar to go back to Rome permanently...anyone wanna join me in starting a crowdfunding page on just giving?

• Like 1

Good for Darcy just a shame we can't raise money to perhaps tempt Shovlar to go back to Rome permanently...anyone wanna join me in starting a crowdfunding page on just giving?

Yes please. Was there, and Naples last month and another holiday which is free would be most welcome..

Perhaps you should look closer to home about how your clubs track is looking.

What a despicable thing to say.

And some are demanding he refunds them because of the rain we have had which caused a spongy track.

Just how tight and distasteful can some people actually be? I have utter contempt for them.

Looks like Darcy doesn't agree with you Steve. Seems to echo everyone on this thread.

• Like 5

So you would take money back from a charity meeting after you have given it?

Unbelievable.

Unbelievable.

For a businessman you are unbelievable.

The Darcy meetings as I understand it are to be annual events to help with his ongoing rehabilitation costs..

Now come 2018 ( years after that) the line up is announced, the track booked......how many people will buy tickets if the weather is anything but perfect. Quite a few I would suggest will not, especially any who will incur travel and hotel costs won't (and I understand quite a few did yesterday), so the income in 2018 will be less than it could be.

All it takes is a gesture of goodwill in the form of some kind of discount and this would be negated. Just because a discount is offered, it doesn't mean it will be taken up but the thought is there. The fans will appreciate it. As it is the riders got their wack yesterday, Poole got theirs (for track hire etc), Darcy got his. Even the sponsors got their publicity. The only ones that lost out are the fans.

What makes me mad is it's not just Darcy that will suffer, it's any other riders who suffer injuries and have benefit meetings arranged. A precedent has been set. Fans are used to being shafted by league clubs but this is different. Fans have given very very generously to Darcy since his accident and he is completely innocent in this but he and other riders will be the ones that suffer. Not Matt Ford, Not Poole. Speedway in general will as well but that's ,mainly due to their own incompetence.

• Like 3

steve your not getting this at all and posting more ridiculous than the king of ridiculous(you know who i mean)let me try another way of explaining things to you,years ago i belonged to a sporting club that held an annual charity auction key word charity,they would collect and have donated a wide range of lots for auction,so if the local garden centre donated a brand new £200 lawn mower for example one of the members would end up bidding £300,good cause etc however if they got that lawn mower home and it didnt work they would have took it back to be sorted not thought oh well it was for charity

Unbelievable.

Please explain Darcy's tweet then.

Here is a clue. He doesn't agree with you.

Oh dear oh dear -- Sir Steve is in the wrong and as usual cannot admit it.When will you admit defeat Steve?

• Like 1