Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
R87

Club Closures Since 1990

Yet if you do an actual comparison of the tracks in operation in 1990 with the tracks in operation today, you will find:-

We have lost – Reading, Oxford, Bradford, Cradley Heath, Hackney, Wimbledon, Exeter, Long Eaton, Milton Keynes, and now sadly Coventry…. A total of 10 tracks.

But we have gained: Leicester, Somerset, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington, Birmingham, Buxton, Isle of Wight, Kent, Mildenhall and Plymouth…. A total of 11 tracks.

So we actually have more stadia staging speedway in 2017 than we did in 1990.

• Like 1

Guest compost

Strictly speaking didn't Glasgow also close in 1996 ? It was only the merger (or move) with/by Edinburgh as the Scottish Monarchs that kept the venue going.

During this time period haven't there been mid-season closures where there track was saved by a change of ownership ? Stoke and Middlesbrough come to mind (but I don't have the documentary support to be sure).

Strictly speaking didn't Glasgow also close in 1996 ? It was only the merger (or move) with/by Edinburgh as the Scottish Monarchs that kept the venue going.

During this time period haven't there been mid-season closures where there track was saved by a change of ownership ? Stoke and Middlesbrough come to mind (but I don't have the documentary support to be sure).

PS. Apologies if this appears more than once. Having a few problems.

Glasgow went burst at the end of 1995. Edinburgh, having lost Powderhall, moved into Shawfield and took the name Scottish Monarchs. They lasted one season before moving out to Armadale and a new promotion moved in to revive the Tigers.

PS. Apologies if this appears more than once. Having a few problems.

Middlesbrough closed for good (1996?) but have since re-opened as Redcar of course.

Guest compost

Middlesbrough closed for good (1996?) but have since re-opened as Redcar of course.

Sotonian, re Middlesbrough I meant what appears to have been a mid-season closure in 1995 (in the History forum I asked for details of the cancelled meetings). A better example of what I was referring to would be Plymouth's closure last year after only a few meetings and their subsequent revival under new management. Technically you could say that Plymouth should be added to the list of track closures since 1990 because of this.

daveallan81. Thanks, though I do remember the details. In that case then surely Glasgow should be added to the Track closure list (all of Glasgow. Plymouth and Stoke would of course be listed as 'closed but Running').

And yes technically Cradley are running, but no new Track has been found, we run or should that be walk :wink: courtesy of Monmore and Perry Barr.

Edited by greyhoundp

How many of the tracks that have closed since 1990 are still in existence as a site where speedway could be reintroduced AKA Brandon as opposed to tracks that have been redeveloped AKA Hackney and are gone for good?

The damage started before 1990, roll it back to 1980 and I'd say a certain decline in operational venues.

Ellesmere Port, Barrow, Crayford, Canterbury, Boston, Halifax, Hull, Weymouth all disappeared in the 80's and do not have equivalent venues operating today.

What happened in the 80's to turn people off and shut down so many tracks?

A perfectly good Dog Track at Sunderland that has staged Speedway twice before is still very much in existence.

I doubt we will ever see Speedway again at that venue though.

I know I'm a bit out on your time frame - but one lives in hope.

A perfectly good Dog Track at Sunderland that has staged Speedway twice before is still very much in existence.

I doubt we will ever see Speedway again at that venue though.

I know I'm a bit out on your time frame - but one lives in hope.

What is the issue at Sunderland?

What is the issue at Sunderland?

The Stadium don't want Speedway.

Does anyone ever tell the truth in speedway when it comes to track closures? Reading through the various topics/threads on the forum about tracks such as Swindon, Eastbourne, Poole moving, Coventry gone and who else, where does this leave racing in this country?

I do believe that the sport is finely balanced between survival but not as it is known now and an amateur activity. It seems that those who run the sport either know very little or if they do they simply bury the proverbial head in the sand and the punter who turns up week in week out is treated with contempt.

Whether this is the right place to post a plea I do not know but will those in charge stop treating those outside your cosey little gang of promoters start having a bit of respect for your customer base and man up to what is radically wrong with the product and some of those involved in it. Others sports would suggest that the action or lack of inaction is bringing the sport into disrepute and deal with those who are failing to tell the truth and be honest. Rumours about T V coverage, lack of work at Swimdon. Coventry pulled and who else. Man up you promoters do the honourable thing and either tell it as it is or walk away and stop taking the p...

• Like 5

We, at Sunderland, were told by the Bridgett, Parker Promoters back in 1964 that poor weather and poor crowds were the reason for closure.

None of the nine Meetings they ran before closing down was rained off, and the crowd at the penultimate Meeting was 8,500 (Source: Sunderland Echo). The reasons for closure that I believe to be true, can be seen in the Link provided:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/stats/1964/1964_Season.html

We, at Sunderland, were told by the Bridgett, Parker Promoters back in 1964 that poor weather and poor crowds were the reason for closure.

None of the nine Meetings they ran before closing down was rained off, and the crowd at the penultimate Meeting was 8,500 (Source: Sunderland Echo). The reasons for closure that I believe to be true, can be seen in the Link provided:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/stats/1964/1964_Season.html

Mike Parker was against the opening of a track at Berwick as he we'd only last a few weeks and they'd be left with an unfulfilled fixture list , 50yrs later I think its safe to say he got that one wrong

• Like 1

If I wanted to become a speedway promoter where could I find a stadium where there is an unused track waiting to be brought back to life? please don't say Coventry as that's a given - I interested to see if there any long forgotten ones still around like Oxford