British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

BT SPORT IS free with some Virgin packages

correct change last year to get the GPs may cancel sky through virgin now

BT SPORT IS free with some Virgin packages

Free? or just included in the price?

• Like 1

I have BT broadband and get BT sport on the Sky platform for £3.75 a month. I also get the BT app so I can watch BT sport on my phone or tablet.

Be nice to get this news confirmed so I can cancel Sky Sports.

One potential advantage with BT Sports is their closer ties with BBC Sport!!!!? You never know....................

• Like 1

Aces 51 I too have BT broadband and watch on the Sky platform like you do.But we only get BT sport 1 for 3.75 a month and it used to be free for BT broadband customers.If they put speedway on BT sport 2 or 3 we will have to upgrade.

I've had BT after dropping Sky because they kept putting their prices up and offered new customers a very much better deal than existing ones for changing to fibre optic. Never had any issues in the approx 18 months I've been with them and only time I used customer services was when starting with them and they were very good. Price wise I spend about 70% of what I was with Sky for an equivalent package.

For me it's great news as it means I can watch league Speedway when I get in from work once again. I really like the way they cover MotoGP and have no issues with the way the Speedway GP's have been shown. At least they haven't been shunted off the main channel because another sport is seen as a priority this week!

See no reason to disbelieve Flagrag when he says it's because of the football costs, after all he is in a position to know better than those who argue differently.

There is no way Speedway won't be around in 5 years and I'd happily bet it's not all that different to how it is now. For years I thought that Speedway would evolve into a largely amateur sport with a professional GP series like just about every other motor sport but it kept proving me wrong. Now I just see it as a remarkably resilient sport which keeps finding people with enough money and the will to keep propping it up (thats the majority of the much maligned BSPA!). We might not always like the decisions they make but it is their money to lose and I suspect a lot of us would change our opinions on certain subjects if we had to bet a fortune on the outcome.

Forgot to also say that if this means more of the TV pot reaching the sport rather than one company that is also a good thing.

Edited by Vince
  • Like 5

Have had Sky since the beginning but i am seriously thinking of knocking them on the head now .I have the BT sports channel and the Racing Channel if i change who should i go with?.I only watch the football/Boxing and Eurosport on sky the rest is crap.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Aces 51 I too have BT broadband and watch on the Sky platform like you do.But we only get BT sport 1 for 3.75 a month and it used to be free for BT broadband customers.If they put speedway on BT sport 2 or 3 we will have to upgrade.

It might be worth you having a word with them. I get all of the BT Sport channels. I had the same deal last year, although I think it was free for the first few months and only renewed about 3 weeks ago and it certainly still includes all of the channels.

The £3.75 is a half price offer.

Edited by Aces51

Sad irony if this SKY rumour is true. Wasn't it a certain Mr Horton's antics hours before a major meeting at Coventry a few years ago that had SKY holding on at the track on the morning of the live broadcast, unsure whether it would be on.

I've noticed SKY have been less inclined to their previous efforts and that moment could have been a defining one.

Good that most on here aren't unduly worried about this, a network that brought regular live coverage to our screens. Fans who a gleeful they'll get speedway on the cheap without paying SKY's outlandish fees may ask themselves - if they don't wish to pay, and they are fans, then what chance have we ever got of attracting new paying fans to the tracks, which ultimately keeps the sport alive.

Just to add to rmc's post above.

I have Virgin Media's XL package which includes BT Sport but it does not HAVE to include the extra cost of the Sky Sports and Movies packages as seems to be suggested here. At various times I have chosen to have them, currently I do not, but still have BT Sport included.

I hear allsorts of annecdotes about Virgin medias customer service and I had always had brilliant experiences myself right back to when they took over from ntl. Until last year when a box failed.

The sub continent folk were abysmal on the many attempts to solve the issues with my two boxes and they just kept making it worse. But I twigged that they also seem to alternate with a Scottish call centre as well. Especially at weekends and late nights. The couple of calls I had with those guys went fine and sorted everything out quite easily.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

The real reason for Sky pulling out is tucked away in the regulations:

"The SGB Premiership & Championship League Play-Offs will involve the top 4 Teams in the final League Table in a series of Home and Away Ties on a Knock-Out basis in which the TR Facility is not applicable."

Just rang BT up to upgrade for all of their sports channels .They offered me it free for 6 months and then 6 quid a month thereafter.Cheaper than sky sports and you get champions league football. I am a BT broadband subscriber and got BT sports lite (BT sports 1) free previously.

• Like 2

not sure if this is the same thing but we had an offer of a magic free box , we gave it back the next day , couldn't watch or record any channels other than the one you were watching and couldn't get BT sports if i remember right . cheap but totally useless if there's more than one person in the house.

• Like 1