British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

When i cancelled my Sky Sports subscription last week,and told the adviser the reason why,his reply was "The pot,s probably empty mate".

Probably meaning the £10 million per Premier league match that they have to pay,has over stretched their budget.

But are there that many who are prepared to pay even more money to watch football, football and more football.

If this is correct and i hope it isn't i for one will be cancelling my Sky subscription for June, July & August as apart from Speedway I have no interest in the other Summer sports. We have just worked it out and would save us approx. £240. Just keep BT Sport for the Grand Prixs and a complete switch to them could be tempting provided the right package is available.

Sky paid £10million per league match - surely thats not correct, is it???

Think the pricise figure is £10.07 million.Could be wrong though.

Real shame considering some of the hyped dross that Sky Sports shows BUT it is all about viewing figures. Sport needs to look at itself - bent over backwards for Sky Sports and still they walked away. Personally I think BSPA/SCB should terminate Go Speed contract and look at straming video heats etc on social media.

The sport is 4 laps behind MotoGP + MotoX in terms of self promotion and video content. The sport needs to look at new ways to attract an audience - there is hope ; look at the success at Glasgow Speedway.

If this is correct and i hope it isn't i for one will be cancelling my Sky subscription for June, July & August as apart from Speedway I have no interest in the other Summer sports. We have just worked it out and would save us approx. £240. Just keep BT Sport for the Grand Prixs and a complete switch to them could be tempting provided the right package is available.

I cancelled my Sky subscription which did not include Sky Sport (so no Britiish league speedway) but could watch BT Sport via Sky through paying Plusnet (my b/band supplier) £10 per month for those months I wanted to watch GP's.

I was paying Sky £49pm for TV viewing, plus my tel/b-band package through Plusnet of £28pm - so £77pm plus another £10pm when GP season on.

My Plusnet contract finishes in 2 months so I will be free (for the first time in a long time) to choose who I want and maybe a tel/b-band/tv package and BT is top of the list.

I reckon at the moment with the deals on, could get from BT - tel/fast b-band (56mb/s)/tv box for £60 but for 1st 12 months reduced to around £42 plus a £125 preloaded onto a mastercard.

You need to know what usgae you have on broadband. The above figures are for 25gb download per month. Im currently using 12gb-23gb depending what I download obviously. That could increase depending on usage with a fast b-band available but up to 100gb download is about £8 per month more.

As I see it then...

The SkySports contract is cancelled.

There is a "hope" that BT, who seem to have money to burn will have more money than sense, and take on the coverage of the British Mediocre League.

Well, as long as hope springs eternal...

Let's hope that Terry Russell's mortgage is paid off by now...else this year's repayments may not be on time.

Not to mention the point that was raised earlier, that Premiership teams will have a big hole in their finances now if there is no TV money coming in any more. A serious situation could start perculating now.

I can't see that Sky paid £10 million for each league match? Impossible! But if they did - WHO did they pay it too? I am confused about that kind of figure being paid into the sport as it should have meant over 15 years ( OK lower in earlier years ) that the sport of speedway should have seen vastly improved stadiums and facilities. Don't tell me the Blazers shared it out between themselves and those No1s? Every club could have bought it's own stadium and Brandon could have been saved! No - there must be a decimal place in the wrong place - maybe £107,000? Somebody tell us please.

I can't see that Sky paid £10 million for each league match? Impossible! But if they did - WHO did they pay it too? I am confused about that kind of figure being paid into the sport as it should have meant over 15 years ( OK lower in earlier years ) that the sport of speedway should have seen vastly improved stadiums and facilities. Don't tell me the Blazers shared it out between themselves and those No1s? Every club could have bought it's own stadium and Brandon could have been saved! No - there must be a decimal place in the wrong place - maybe £107,000? Somebody tell us please.

He is quoting the amount paid for each Premier league FOOTBALL match- nothing to do with speedway !!!!!!
  • Like 1

Wonderful to have the sport still on TV. Lucky for the fans.

• Like 1

Best news in a while, BT free with BT broadband, or my deal is So Happy days, Saves me 30 quid a month Well for this year as I have just learned Moto GP will most likely go to Sky 2018, so same old same old.

• Like 1

I take it thats just a guess.

Nope. All confirmed now. Its 18 meetings including play-offs on BT Sport!!