British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

Interesting to know what the deal is with BT and if Sky will pay up front for the last 2 years of contract.

Probably cheaper to pay the fee to get out of contract than the costs of covering the sport this year.

And how many meetings do they hope to get in ?

It says 18 matches Including the play offs.

Edited by Scottyfan

This is fantastic news. It will be a blessing in disguise to get out of the grips of Sky and onto the new innovative BT Sport. Sky have obviously wiped their hands of the sport within the last few years and were doing it no justice at all. I think Speedway in GB need to treat this as a fresh start and really buy into the televised meetings like was said in the press release. Lets make Speedway look exciting on the tele at least, otherwise we have no chance.

• Like 2

It says 18 matches Including the play offs.

Is that just Poole meetings or everything ?

• Like 5

So we are to take it you are an armchair supporter then ? Try going occasionally and support british speedway.. :t:

I dont see anything wrong at all watching speedway on the TV. If no one paid Sky/BT/Eurosport the fees they charge then there would be no funds going to British speedway - its what British speedway does with the money they receive from the TV businesses that really matters.

• Like 2

Wow 19th June is a very late to start the TV coverage things must have changed since last week as I was told planned to start on 01/05 at Poole vs Swindon.

It looks like BT want to get CL & Europa league football finished before starting with Speedway

Do you know if the coverage will be a certain race night or will it be on three hosting teams race night???

I guess you reap what you sow..

Years of downgrading the product, the top league in Speedway (GB) is now on a par as the 2nd league was around the early 2000's

Top riders, no longer prepared to ride for peanuts, in comparison to the rich pickings now that can be earned in ex-iron curtain Country of Poland, and in Sweden, Denmark..

What we need to do now is go the whole hog and ditch all foreign riders, and start from scratch again, continually watering down the quality of the product has failed to save Speedway as a "BEST in its class" sport..

Back to basics... Otherwise the sport will be back to the dark ages, and racing in farmers fields...

Real shame considering some of the hyped dross that Sky Sports shows BUT it is all about viewing figures. Sport needs to look at itself - bent over backwards for Sky Sports and still they walked away. Personally I think BSPA/SCB should terminate Go Speed contract and look at straming video heats etc on social media.

The sport is 4 laps behind MotoGP + MotoX in terms of self promotion and video content. The sport needs to look at new ways to attract an audience - there is hope ; look at the success at Glasgow Speedway.

Flagrag has said several times this is nothing to do with viewing figures - indeed, Sky were very happy with them. This is about Sky overstretching themselves because of the cost of Premiership football and ditching some of the minority sports to make ends meet.

I think that if 1 match costs £10m and speedway's entire season a fifth of that they seem to have got their figures wrong. Then again, I'm biased.

I am sure there are one or two who couldn't wait to blame the BSPA, dropping standards and rubbish racing but, unfortunately for them, this is nothing to do with it.

Glasgow's success - and its fair to say that gates have doubled at least - has been built largely on the influx of a substantial amount of capital investment from new owners. New stadium, by all accounts astonishing pay rates to get the riders they want and the large amount of publicity such outlay gets. I very much hope that every speedway team can do the same, but that's most unlikely.

If you want a blueprint for clubs to follow I'd say Isle of Wight are as good a model as any.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

This is fantastic news. It will be a blessing in disguise to get out of the grips of Sky and onto the new innovative BT Sport. Sky have obviously wiped their hands of the sport within the last few years and were doing it no justice at all. I think Speedway in GB need to treat this as a fresh start and really buy into the televised meetings like was said in the press release. Lets make Speedway look exciting on the tele at least, otherwise we have no chance.

There lies the problem.

Instead of promoting the hell out of the sky meetings and producing stadiums bursting at the seams, most clubs took their staging fee and moaned because no one turned up.

• Like 2

Well, what has been announced today 7th March 2017, is exactly what was speculated about 28th February 2017, on this thread. Sky pull out and BT do 18 matches. I think it says something about the parties involved that we have to wait a week for the news. I notice that Sky, on their website still have a link to speedway on Sky. Who are they trying to fool?

The BSPA on their website have said we are in for a treat. How many speedway fans think at least 7 less matches (Sky originally stated they will do at least 25) is a treat? And how many speedway fans, who subscribe to Sky Sports, but not BT think that either losing their speedway on TV or incurring a greater cost is a treat.

Plus GP, plus Eurosport for SEC and Best Pairs...

Not bad at all..

I have BT Broadband and can get BT sports in HD on my Sky channel for less than a tenner a month...

Will be re-connecting later in the year...

Whoever negotiated the Sky premier league football deal certainly needs their bumps felt, (if still there)!

I can only presume they thought they had an 'insider' at BT who kept them abreast of what BT were prepared to offer and subsequently put in a huge bid. Over ten million per game!!?

Several BT executives must have been laughing their respective bits off...

Yes I am when I comes to Swedish speedway and the GPs but not when it comes to domestic speedway so piss off with your comments arsehole ✌️️✌️️✌️️

Which is of course the correct answer!!😁

Yes I am when I comes to Swedish speedway and the GPs but not when it comes to domestic speedway so piss off with your comments arsehole ✌️️✌️️✌️️

An early contender for best post of 2017
  • Like 9

Yes I am when I comes to Swedish speedway and the GPs but not when it comes to domestic speedway so piss off with your ctomments arsehole ✌️️✌️️✌️️

Made me laugh!

• Like 1