British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

Who at the BSPA do you think could negotiate a deal with Sky/BT/whoever competantly enough to get a good deal?

Now that's a good question. In theory anyone at the BSPA 'should' be a person capable of doing a negotiation. These are the movers and shakers after all. These are all the people at the top of the sport. Aren't they?

In reality though, who trusts any of them? Who would vouch for the competence of any of them?

But if a delegation from the BSPA did the negotiations on behalf of everyone at no commission and without the restrictions and constrictions that currently exist on photos and videos appearing in (social) media then the sport may be in a better place than where it has been in the past.

• Like 6

For the life of me I just don't understand why Sky and BT pay so much for the football rights. If I was Murdoch, I would ring up the boss of BT, meet up in a pub and knock out a deal that they offer the premier league ten percent of what they are currently offering. It would still be more than any other channel could offer so the Premier league would have to accept.

Aside from that being an illegal cartel, the Premier League sets a reserve price on their packages. Anything below that and it would not be worth their interest as even with all the added running costs they would then be better off setting up their own service and selling directly. Which would be damaging to both Sky and BT, so not in either of their interests to allow that to happen.

And all those criticizing Sky for spending over £10m per match whilst defending BT Sport, does that mean you think they are worth the over £7.5m per match which BT are paying? And they have just paid a third more for Champions League rights which Sky were not even interested in. It is not as though Sky are the only ones obsessed with soccer. Although one top Premier League match will be watched by more people than an entire season of Sky's domestic speedway coverage combined, and that is mostly the same people each week.

For me though, this deal means I am lost to British speedway. I cannot justify £23 per month (in SD) just for half a season of the SGB Premiership. The only other thing of interest for me on BT is the FIM speedway events, but I can get those elsewhere. I have no interest in soccer, rugby union, or MotoGP (which is rumoured to be going to Sky), and as much as I like cricket, I will be sleeping during an overseas Ashes.

I cannot get BT for internet, nor Virgin, because neither offer a static IP which I need. BT do not offer anything equivalent to Now TV. And they do not even allow Plus Net subscribers to watch channels online, so even subscribing through them is little value when half the time it means being unable to watch.

And for those who want to moan about going to meetings, we do not all live near a team, drive, and may have other reasons we cannot physically attend. Maybe speedway would be better off its own supporters welcomed those with an interest in the sport instead of telling them to bugger off because they so not meet someone's self righteous requirement to be a fan. For what it is worth, I got bored one evening and just came across speedway on TV. I am not a fan of any other motorsport but instantly was into it.

Both Sky and BT are big business who could not care less about me, and so I cannot understand why people like one over the other as if they were supporting teams. And if Sky are not interested then I guess it cannot be helped, and so BT is definitely better than nothing. But who can people be arguing that reduced productions of fewer meetings to fewer people is an improvement?

I looked back at the FIM event ratings the last time they were on Sky with last year on BT and they are half of what they used to be. And on Sky there were usually pushed down the channels as they were competing with live rugby league, cricket, and golf whilst BT had them on their main channel until the soccer season began. Sadly Eurosport is not rated so no idea how well they did on there.

2012 on Sky Sports (70k average where known)
Mar 31 New Zealand Unknown
Apr 28 Europan (Leszno) 60k (SS4)
May 12 Czech Republic 45k (SS4)
May 26 Sweden 65k (SS4)
Jun 9 Denmark 61k (SS4)
Jun 23 Poland (Gorzów) 71k (SS4)
Jul 7 WC Event 1 (Bydgoszcz) 70k (SS2)
Jul 9 WC Event 2 (King’s Lynn) 109k (SS2)
Jul 12 WC Race-Off (Målilla) 68k (SS2)
Jul 14 WC Final (Målilla) 70k (SS2)
Jul 28 Croatia 82k (SS3)
Aug 11 Italy 45k (SS4)
Aug 25 Great Britain 96k (SS3)
Sep 8 Scandinavia (Målilla) 40k (SS4)
Sep 22 Nordic (Vojens) 53k (SS4)
Oct 6 Poland (Toruń) 114k (SS3)
2016 on BT Sport (34k average where known)
Apr 30 Slovenia 48k (BT1)
May 14 Warsaw 41k (BT1)
June 11 Denmark 46k (BT1)
Jun 25 Czech Republic 29k (BT1)
Jul 9 Great Britain 40k (BT1)
Jul 23 WC Event1 (Vojens) 22k (BT1)
Jul 26 WC Event 2 (Västervik) 28k (BT1)
Jul 29 WC Race-Off (Manchester) 31k (BT1)
Jul 30 WC Final (Manchester) 49k (BT1)
Aug 14 Sweden (Sun 9am) 22k (BT3)
Aug 27 Gorzów 22k (BT2)
Sep 10 Germany Unknown (under 28k) (BT2)
Sep 24 Scandinavia (Stockholm) 28k (BT2)
Oct 1 Toruń 38k (BT2)
Oct 22 Australia Unknown (BT2)

The BT coverage is clearly the best of a bad lot, even if for me personally it is as good as not being on TV at all. But anyone who thinks this is a good move for the sport just because it works out cheaper for them personally is deluded.

• Like 1

certainly an early contender for worst language of the year,no need for it,were all speedway fans.

was rather abrupt

My initial comments on the topic was a general view of what it could be. One individual decided to personalise it without knowing me let alone what I do when it comes to domestic speedway. For the record I am a regular at Ipswich and Mildenhall and have been going to various tracks since 1969 starting at Rayleigh and now regularly go to Berlin for ice speedway so I don't have to put up with the sort of reponse hence I gave as good as I got. Sorry if you are both so delicate and sensitive but that is tough, it is all part and parcel of the rough and tumble of the forum. I stick by my comments and do not apologise. ✌️✌️️✌️️

• Like 1

On the phone to Sky tonight, feel like .....😞

Edited by topaz325

Sorry if you are both so delicate and sensitive but that is tough, it is all part and parcel of the rough and tumble of the forum. I stick by my comments and do not apologise. ✌️✌️️✌️️

Good on ye,,, a did actually 'like' it

and great to see that you've earned a gold star for it ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Never heard anyone describe Eurosport's coverage of the Swedish League as excellent before.

Wasn't referring to the TV coverage, more the team line ups, and some of the racing. At least I got to see some of the top riders, unlike the UK, where GP riders in a team are rarer than hens teeth. Also if you don't like it, don't watch it. Life is all about choices.

• Like 1

The way speedway is going in Sweden they'll be lucky to have enough teams to make any TV worthwhile - even Eurosport!!

• Like 2

How can BT offer you BT Sport when you havnt got BT TV. Surely to get BT Sport on an active Sky box you have to go through Sky.

Nope. As I said in my previous post, I am a BT Broadband user with a BT phone line. I also have a Sky box plus subscription (but not Sky sport) I went online to www.bt.com/sky and took up the deal I described, first 6 months free then £7-50 a month for the remaining 6 months. I know it sounds strange, and I don't know how it works, after all Sky and BT are in competition with each other! The deal was done online in a few minutes, and 10 minutes later my Sky box was receiving ALL the BT Sport channels plus Box Nation. It works, but don't ask me how. I wasn't even asked for my Sky details from BT, although I do get BT Sport 1 as part of my Broadband package, so I presume they must have some of my Sky information?

With regard to the BT TV box, I haven't investigated that but I doubt if it receives as many channels as I get on my Sky box. I'm happy with that part of the Sky package, so will probably stick with it for now.

With regard to the BT TV box, I haven't investigated that but I doubt if it receives as many channels as I get on my Sky box.

It doesn't!

How can BT offer you BT Sport when you havnt got BT TV. Surely to get BT Sport on an active Sky box you have to go through Sky. I know it sounds strange, and I don't know how it works, after all Sky and BT are in competition with each other! The deal was done online in a few minutes, and 10 minutes later my Sky box was receiving ALL the BT Sport channels plus Box Nation. It works, but don't ask me how. .

am not 100% sure, but,,, the signal is out there and anyone can access it, if you know how. Andriod boxes can receive the signal and therefore offer what is 'floating around in the sky'. Big companies probly block channels that haven't been subscribed to, maybe thats how it works, am not sure tho ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Might have already been said but i think you can cancel sky but use the free sky sat card and still pay for BT sport on it. You won't get the sky + record facilty though.

Might have already been said but i think you can cancel sky but use the free sky sat card and still pay for BT sport on it. You won't get the sky + record facilty though.

if you keep sky and add BT sports, are you able to record and pause,ff,rew ?

am bound to sky sports till July and 'honestly' only took it out for speedway, would that render Sky liable to compensate me as am not getting what I signed up for ?

I haven't cancelled or broke any agreement (not with Sky anyway) ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

am bound to sky sports till July and 'honestly' only took it out for speedway, would that render Sky liable to compensate me as am not getting what I signed up for ?

You just need the minimum paid subscription with Sky and all the functions will be available.

Skysports, Movies are unnecessary extras

• Like 1

Yes you can. As I now receive all the BT Sport channels on my Sky+ Box, they simply come up on my Sky planner the same as all the other channels. I can now record any speedway on BT sport that I am liable to miss, and watch it later the same as any other channel. I could not justify the cost of watching speedway on Skysport last year, as it was so expensive and would have doubled my monthly Sky subscription, but the BT deal is excellent, as I posted earlier it averages out at £3-75 per month over the next 12 months, so I'm well pleased. I can also watch the winter cricket from down under which I also enjoy. I would think many speedway fans are also ditching Skysport if like me, they only had it for the speedway.

But i bet you didn't stipulate what you wanted sky sports for. Very few do..