British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

I for one will not be taking up the BT offer , bigger burglars than Sky

• Like 2

I for one will not be taking up the BT offer , bigger burglars than Sky

And sky are bad enough. I just had to have my sky box replaced, then i needed a new viewing card, what a load of hastle to sort just that out.

Well finally the BSPA have confirmed this for everyone, This is not something that has come out of the blue Sky sports firstly made Go Speed and BSPA aware at the end of last season that they were unlikely to broadcast Speedway in 2017 unless they could find a sponsor to help support the production costs.

Each Speedway meeting costs around 38k to get on air and if the weather is poor you could end up with no live content, that is a risk that has always been known but previously the excitement and the money available for fringe sports was more readily available.

Unfortunately due to the rising costs of securing Premiership football,F1 and a strong need to keep Championship football and ECB & 20-20 Cricket some lower level sports like Speedway have to miss out of they are unable to get sponsors to help with the production costs. Netball and Greyhound racing have been put in the same position but have been able to find a sponsor to help.

Thank you for your informed comments throughout this thread, very much appreciated. Sad that we won't see you at Glasgow this year.

• Like 2

u can do a good job with 4 cameras one on home straight one each on bend 2 and 4 one for presenters no need for one in an hot air balloon looking down never have watched sppedway from the sky now it seems i wont in the future !

one question , in your opinion is go speed holding speedway back in media terms ?

one question , in your opinion is go speed holding speedway back in media terms ?

in terms of getting the sport on tv no,just dont agree with go speed taking a cut of any fee from the staging track

Unfortunately due to the rising costs of securing Premiership football,F1 and a strong need to keep Championship football and ECB & 20-20 Cricket some lower level sports like Speedway have to miss out of they are unable to get sponsors to help with the production costs. Netball and Greyhound racing have been put in the same position but have been able to find a sponsor to help.

This is painful to read but I guess the former benefits from easy participation at all levels and the latter is all about betting. Speedway offers neither.

in terms of getting the sport on tv no,just dont agree with go speed taking a cut of any fee from the staging track

How would you suggest they earn a living then?

And if no fee was to be paid then who, (with the required knowledge & contacts) do you think would be prepared to achieve the desired results without payment?

Just got a bt tv package. Already had broadband and line rental. Very pleased with the cost. The tv deal itself is very reasonable. Can't remember the exact number but less than ten pounds a month with a nice recordable box. That's under30p per day. Discovery geography plus much more. Eurosport too. It's around the same price as basic now tv but has so much more!

Natalie Quirk @TheQuirkmeister 1h1 hour ago

Delighted that @btsport is the new home of British #speedway.Join me & the team for 18 fixtures,starting at the British Final on 19th June1f44d-1f3fc.png

So does that mean no British league Speedway Until June

Edited by The Master 88
  • Like 1

And sky are bad enough. I just had to have my sky box replaced, then i needed a new viewing card, what a load of hastle to sort just that out.

agree,had different problems myself, ended up taking out "sky protect" thats another 9.99 per month just for an easy life,subsequently had new sky dish fitted and new sky plus box installed,all covered on the policy. dont agree with it but if you want to watch the sports they have you by the nuts

• Like 1

Just got a bt tv package. Already had broadband and line rental. Very pleased with the cost. The tv deal itself is very reasonable. Can't remember the exact number but less than ten pounds a month with a nice recordable box. That's under30p per day. Discovery geography plus much more. Eurosport too. It's around the same price as basic now tv but has so much more!

Thank you Danny, somebody on this forum who's prepared to tell the truth.. Many on here won't, they dont want to lose face.. :t:

agree,had different problems myself, ended up taking out "sky protect" thats another 9.99 per month just for an easy life,subsequently had new sky dish fitted and new sky plus box installed,all covered on the policy. dont agree with it but if you want to watch the sports they have you by the nuts

Yep they dont make things simple..

Edited by Starman2006

Wow 19th June is a very late to start the TV coverage things must have changed since last week as I was told planned to start on 01/05 at Poole vs Swindon.

It looks like BT want to get CL & Europa league football finished before starting with Speedway

Wow 19th June is a very late to start the TV coverage things must have changed since last week as I was told planned to start on 01/05 at Poole vs Swindon.

It looks like BT want to get CL & Europa league football finished before starting with Speedway

And how many meetings do they hope to get in ?

Perhaps they will record meetings and show the 'a' fixtures in a magazine/highlights programme and then show the 'b' fixtures as live events. Anyway at least all is clear as to where one can get a T V fix. Just need Eurosport to confirm coverage and all will be well for the armchair supporter. Hopefully this is the opportunity to start afresh and get it right this time around as the powers that be will have nowhere else to go if this gets cocked up.

Perhaps they will record meetings and show the 'a' fixtures in a magazine/highlights programme and then show the 'b' fixtures as live events. Anyway at least all is clear as to where one can get a T V fix. Just need Eurosport to confirm coverage and all will be well for the armchair supporter. Hopefully this is the opportunity to start afresh and get it right this time around as the powers that be will have nowhere else to go if this gets cocked up.

So we are to take it you are an armchair supporter then ? Try going occasionally and support british speedway.. :t: