British Speedway Forum

BSPA statement reads ..."broadcast partners for the 2017 season"

so only a 1 year deal then ?

perhaps it's a one year deal to see how it goes.Sky as got less interested in speedway over the last two year's anyway coverage poor at time's
  • Like 1

sky are over reaching its self with more and more

darts and the 1 billion its stumping up for the

football they are losing a lot of sports at the moment

but BT is good for speedway I feel better coverage

by far skys started looking like bargain basement

last year so onwards and upwards for the new season

There HAS to be t.v. coverage or clubs would fold, its sold to sponsors as being on sky so something else had to take over, its a start but again BSPA have done things the wrong way

On another note anyone got a direct email for buster

Why would clubs fold without TV? 2nd and 3rd tier clubs manage it, you just have to cut your cloth accordingly, they managed it before the sport was shown, all TV has done is create an army of armchair fans that has little intention of going to watch live and of course every week bar the play offs we watch speedway in stadiums practically empty because fans stay at home, hardly a great advertisement to those on the outside.

• Like 3

The top flight clubs and riders will go to sponsors and sell saying "live on sky" which adds value through association no sky or no BT and all sponsorship contracts become void unless of course the sponsor is a die hard speedway fan who just wants to support the club.

Maybe clubs would not fold but would struggle without having a selling platform, again, this works for british superbike....

• Like 1

Should be seen as a brand new start for the sport in this country!

Fill the stadiums for the 18 matches even if for free...

Focus on local schools with 'kids and adult' combined free tickets...

Then go all out on the night to impress those in attendance, promote the evening well and glean loads of personal information from those there to use in further marketing. A captured market crowd of three thousand or more, who will enter with full wallets, can still deliver a good few quid to a savvy business person.. Imagine how many 'kids and adult' combined tickets you could flog at reduced prices for the following meeting on the night..?

Start with the British Final. Pack the NSS out through great marketing and pricing...

Saturday afternoon in city centre Manchester is heaving, tens and tens of thousands of people pass through it, so run a British Final Roadshow in conjunction with BT. Reduced price tickets, merchandise give away etc...

Make everyone in a conurbation of 2.5million people know the British Speedway Final is on in Manchester 48hrs later...

Let's be honest, if 'The British Championship' (THE major individual tournament outside Cardiff in Britain) is played out in front of one man and his dog, it would be hugely embarrassing for the sport in front of its new broadcasters and wouldn't set the new relationship off to a great start.

And certainly wouldn't impress any non speedway fan watching...

The BSPA should throw the kitchen sink at it and see if it can kick start a turnaround in the sports fortunes...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

With regards to no fans, CWFC held an event live from bt sport studios with limited spectators compared to normal at event levels which is anything from 3,000 to 10,000 people.

BT made the studio event work, it received rave reviews and it will be held again, a great product can be made to look good via many aspects without having the crowd there.

MikeBV

I get what you mean and I agree with it all, but its not a fresh start for speedway at all, its the same dross behind the sport they have not solved the fundamental issues that make british speedway fail, its like they are clutching at straws

I have Sky +Sports Channel From Feb 2016 for £25.00 for 10 months. Then suddenly last August this goes up to £27..Then this Jan it goes up to £50.00 then last month it reaches £59..00. I phoned them this morning to cancel and it then offered me for 18 months, the same package for £34.00 or without Eurosport £29.00. I have cancelled and now await them to come back to me

I will now change to BT. Anybody know if there are any good offers?

Edited by mickthemuppet

I have Sky +Sports Channel From Feb 2016 for £25.00 for 10 months. Then suddenly last August this goes up to £27..Then this Jan it goes up to £50.00 then last month it reaches £59..00. I phoned them this morning to cancel and it then offered me for 18 months, the same package for £34.00 or without Eurosport £29.00. I have cancelled and now await them to come back to me

and they will, over and over offering better and better deals, free TV's etc. As I told them, if they had reviewed it whilst I was acustomer perhaps I wouldn't have left for BT!!! Too little too late. Should look after existing customers sometimes. I have Sky 1 & 2 as extra package on BT, but often missed speedway when they moved it off those channels so I'm happy BT have it!!

Heard BT have paid £0 for the rights and will only cover their cost for live meetings this is why there are only 18 meetings planned across speedway which includes play offs so really 15 league meetings.

Only positive is riders and clubs have a platform to promote sponsors

The media platform to show-off sponsors really is the only benefit isn't it?

British speedway will receive ZERO in hard cash. BT cover THEIR costs of staging the meetings. Well, yippy do. No compensation to the clubs for the lost attendances at the gate, at televised meetings. So basically the value of that advertising exposure had better exceed the loss of revenue at the gate, else this is a real poisoned chalace.

BT have Darren Fletcher in their " stable" who could slot in to the coverage with ease.

he can talk football what does he know about speedway Nigel and Kelvin will do for me with Natalie quirk as she does know a lot of speedway

he can talk football what does he know about speedway Nigel and Kelvin will do for me with Natalie quirk as she does know a lot of speedway

A good opportunity to "freshen it up". The shouty men have had their time, let BT Sport do it their way.

• Like 2

You obviously don`t know or have forgotten that he was centre green presenter at Peterborough for many years.

• Like 3

The media platform to show-off sponsors really is the only benefit isn't it?

British speedway will receive ZERO in hard cash. BT cover THEIR costs of staging the meetings. Well, yippy do. No compensation to the clubs for the lost attendances at the gate, at televised meetings. So basically the value of that advertising exposure had better exceed the loss of revenue at the gate, else this is a real poisoned chalace.

Cannot see many clubs covering the loss in fan attendance or any reduced entrance fee by stadium advertising. The only hope is that by reducing the entrance fee, say to £10, a lot more people attend and possibly some of those may go and watch more often if the presentation and racing is good.